Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survival challenge

Options
  • 21-11-2011 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads

I read about a 3 day survival challenge in the wicklow mountains,i think it was.
    Would there be any similar events around the country that i can join in you know of.
    Would mind getting out in the wild for a while again:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Any more info on this? whould be interesting alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Do it yourself!

Was on a night hike last winter and we spotted a small camp in the woods, turned out to be one guy with minimal gear who regularly did this for the crack! Quick chat and cuppa and we were back on our way but that guy was crazy!!

Do it yourself!

Was on a night hike last winter and we spotted a small camp in the woods, turned out to be one guy with minimal gear who regularly did this for the crack! Quick chat and cuppa and we were back on our way but that guy was crazy!!

crazy in what way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Do it yourself!

well it can be done,but my missus might think i lost it then:D
    I prefer to have an excuse to get out;)

eth0 wrote: »
    crazy in what way?
    Said he goes running in the mountains with just his small pack and often decided to spend the night! just a mad fella. he was on a few days holidays from work and walked from home into the mountains to spend his tim off there! would love to have the time to do that stuff

• Advertisement

well it can be done,but my missus might think i lost it then:D
    I prefer to have an excuse to get out;)
    Would love to do it myslef but i have the same prblem:p 2 kids and and the missus so no time for that! do most of my hunting at night except on a sunday morning when i usually gt out with the dog and the shotgun and most of my hiking was done at night too

Would love to do it myslef but i have the same prblem:p 2 kids and and the missus so no time for that! do most of my hunting at night except on a sunday morning when i usually gt out with the dog and the shotgun and most of my hiking was done at night too

Yes same with me,i just came across this article surfing a bit,
    Looks to be great craic
    Seems like an yearly event

http://www.walkersassociation.ie/node/591

Said he goes running in the mountains with just his small pack and often decided to spend the night! just a mad fella. he was on a few days holidays from work and walked from home into the mountains to spend his tim off there! would love to have the time to do that stuff

How bad. Did he seem like not the full biscuit? I wouldn't mind it myself really

How bad. Did he seem like not the full biscuit? I wouldn't mind it myself really

Couldnt agree more,nothing better when you are in fresh air up in the mountain,far far away from everyday life.
    Cant beat that;)

ah he was just a bit of an odd ball when we were talkin to him ya know. Wouldn't mind it myself lad, used to love headin for a hike on my own with the dog, very relaxing. Wouldn't do it at night tho in case somethin happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I was considering hosting a "fun" event for some lads on the Zombie forum. I dislocated my ankle so it never happened but I am thinking about something similar next year.

I have access to around 90 acres with 70 typical farm land and the rest light wood but its more of a place to practice skills as the village is a 5 min walk away and the new Cork Dublin motorway now runs through the middle:mad:

A friend has also completed some courses in Kerry. Some may know it as its run by an ex green beret so not my cup of tea. I think its the IPNA.

I am planning a "lightweight" trip with some friends in the spring to a rough area about 6 miles from Mahon falls in Waterford. We are limiting our kit to belt order and day sack only for 3 nights to see how we get on.

krissovo wrote: »

I have access to around 90 acres with 70 typical farm land and the rest light wood but its more of a place to practice skills as the village is a 5 min walk away and the new Cork Dublin motorway now runs through the middle:mad:

I am planning a "lightweight" trip with some friends in the spring to a rough area about 6 miles from Mahon falls in Waterford. We are limiting our kit to belt order and day sack only for 3 nights to see how we get on.

Hey great have you got room for one more:D

A friend has also completed some courses in Kerry. Some may know it as its run by an ex green beret so not my cup of tea..

Well i think ill pass on that too:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

When I was working in Waterford, I would regularly kip out near Mahon Falls, bike gear and a bivi bag is a great combo for spur of the moment sleep outs!

I remember being woken up very early one morning by two German hikers who thought that they had discovered a dead body sticking out from under some brush! - we had a good laugh over a brew.

A good starting point is simple sleepouts with minimal kit, park close to your spot before dark, give yourself enough time to get sorted, brew up a cuppa and something warm to eat if you want and then just turn in for the night.

Get up with the sun break camp and get home, showered and ready for
    work with a mellow smile for he rest of the day!

Have a think about what you used, needed and wanted, adjust and repeat.

It is a good exercise to not give yourself too much time as some people get hung up on picking the perfect spot etc. Figure out what is good enough, make your bed and sleep in it. Even if you make a bad call you are probably not going to die, if it gets too rough you can always get to your transport and either sleep in it or bug out to duvet land. A few of those type trips will prepare you very quickly for longer durations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

No problem with that as long as you meet minimum kit requirements. I will post something up in January and open it up to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

What's the story with camping like this guy in the Wicklow Mountains? I ave access to woodland where I shoot and that, but would like to know more about this.

There should be a Beers for this forum but no pub, just coordinates and "bring beer".

actually no, make one's own beer from scratch.

Hibrion wrote: »
    What's the story with camping like this guy in the Wicklow Mountains? I ave access to woodland where I shoot and that, but would like to know more about this.
    no camping in the national park but anywhere else your good i guess. No one gonna say anything to ya anyway jus be careful wit the fire and that.

Are there many forests in Ireland whre you'd get fecked out of it for camping? how strict are they round here?

Are there many forests in Ireland whre you'd get fecked out of it for camping? how strict are they round here?
    Camped in wicklow a few times with few mates and never got hassel, all the night hiking we did and never met a sinner apart from the guy i mentioned camping on his own. No one is gonna disturb ya camping off the beaten track, just make sure you can bee seen this time of the year and if watch out for hunting signs because deer season is in full swing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I've been caught by the wardens/rangers in the national park. But we weren't being too discreet TBF. They asked us to move along and the next morning we did ;). If you camp a bit before dark and then leave with the sunrise you should have no problems.

Remember - http://www.leavenotraceireland.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Do it yourself!

why was he crazy, for doing this?

he wasn't crazy for doin it he was just a mad fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BantryJohn

I did a beginners and advanced bushcraft course in Kerry in October(with IPNA), was fantastic, I would highly recommend it, he'll be running the courses again in April.

Advertisement