Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Gate- Please help, I'm lost!

• 22-11-2011 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My father is turning 50 soon and for his gift, I'd really like to give him a gate that his grandfather made 80 odd years ago. Problem is, this gate is now belonging to the family who bought the house his grandfather owned at the time.

I would like to offer to buy the gate from the owner, as its not worth anything really but would mean the world to my dad. Question is, how much roughly would it cost me to replace the gate? It's a small wooden gate at the end of their little garden, between two pillars, attached to a wooden frame on the wall. Certainly nothing big or fancy.

Any rough idea at all you could give me for a min-max price range would be of enormous help.

These pictures will give you an idea of roughly how big the gate is:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxdaV56xf4Kz8THrXtp17ck2kCPX70qZj2l-6XyJhBtqUhjRnQ3xdAfJI
    build-small-gate-800x800.jpg
    Traditional-Garden-Gate-Kit_small2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Theprogardener

Are you sure the new owners will sell to you? Contact Aspect garden construction in Kilbarrack 01 8320206, they can make a replica for you no problem. They use hardwood mainly at a guess you are talking about €350-€450.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Nope but I'd like an idea of how much it would cost before asking.

Thanks for the reply, bit more than I was hoping :o

sheesh, you'd want to be using some expensive wood for it to cost that much

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mickward

howya, i assume you are in Kerry, it really depneds on what the gate design is, and what you now want it to be made from. i make these gates myself as a hobbie for people and you could make a simple gate out of soft wood and treat it properly, this can be made to look old but it will need to be tended too and it will probably last between 5 to 15 years depending on care, i would not pay more than 150 for that again depending on design.
    you can then go for harwood (best option) and as progardener said above it will cost more like 350 to 450.
    if you are thinking of talking to the new owner offer them a replacement but for the old gate i would not want to pay more than 80 to 100.

if you PM me a picture of the gate you want i can see what i could do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Theprogardener

Its not just the wood, its about the finish. "I don't know exactly how much it would cost, I was only making a guess". Best to contact aspect and ask. If you want the job done right first time and you want the best, Aspect is the only company I would recommend.
    Regards
    PS We are in the landscaping business over 50 years, so I know what I am talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mickward

boomkatalog, when it comes down to finish, there is only really two things to be concerned with, the quality of the workmanship and then the name on the can of the product that is used as "topcoat".
    Never use preservative like you get in the main chain hardawre stores for fences and so on, it is useless for this job, best to 'stain and varnish' or equivalent.
    However, when all is said and done, it's still all down to the quality and type of wood used as to how good your gate is and how long it will last, nothing else, even ring this "Aspect" crowd they are not on the internet so we cannot see their work, they will advise you the same as I have.

PS Second generation joiner, so I know alittle about wood.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

You can buy pressure treated softwood gates here for €110.
    Fitting would be extra.
    To reproduce the old gate, which I am guessing is cleft chestnut or oak, would cost at least €200 + €80'ish for fitting.

Advertisement