Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built a new PC but need to cool her down

Options
  • 22-11-2011 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Spec

I7 2600 3.4 HT turned off.
    Asus 560 ti 9000 SLI
    Asus Sabertooth P67 1155
    8GB Ram
    Antec current pro 850w
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler
    BenQ XL2410T monitor

Fairly std ATX case with a fan on the front and back, the MB has room for a 50mm fan which I'm going to get but I reckon it needs more.

The screen shots are are taken after about 40min of BF3, I'm getting great performance in the game, anything from 200fps down to 70 avg 90 on ultra.

monitor.png

hot.png

gpu.png

Looking for a bit of advice, do yo think the temps above are OK or what would you recommend to cool it down.

Thanks

Would look at the possibility of a new case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If you were just going to go and turn HT off, why the hell did you buy a 2600K?

What speed is your CPU cooler's fan running at? Also, get HWMonitor, those bundled thermal programs always vary wildly. I'd say they're on the high side, though I'm not as familiar with the quirks of 1155 procs as some others here.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Blair

I got the CPU cheap, I have turned HT off to solve issues with BF3. I will turn it back on when there is a fix. Didn’t really look at the CPU fan speed as the CPU seemed to be running fine, I was more concerned by the MB and GC temp but cooling is a learning process for me so I will have a look at that also.

Will have a look at HWMonitor, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

70 degrees isn't uncommon for a single GPU - for SLI thats actually a pretty good temperature. My old 4870 would run at anything up to 85 degrees with no issues, so I wouldn't be too worried about the GPU's. Your CPU temperature is well within normal range too.

What does stand out is the USB3.0 temperature. That seems abnormally high.

I added two fans and it made quite a differance, added one intake fan on the front and one on the MB. What I dont understand is BF3 has become choppy during online gameplay, cant figure that one out. Maybe they are not related

afterfan.png

After the same amount of BF3 gameplay as the picture in the first post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Yeah your problem is more than likely your case.
    If you want lower temperatures you'll have to buy yourself a new case or mod that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Have a look at the fractal r3(case)....I have one and filled it with fans...3 up top for exhaust and four below as intake...
    Airflow in that case is very good which is needed when running dual gfx cards.

Blair wrote: »
    I added two fans and it made quite a differance, added one intake fan on the front and one on the MB. What I dont understand is BF3 has become choppy during online gameplay, cant figure that one out. Maybe they are not related

Have you tried enabling v-sync on Bf3. and crank up the motion blur...
    Your cards will handle it..

The v.sync should level out your fps to a steady 60fps and smooth things out..
    It works well for me..

I also try to stay away from servers with a ping of higher than 80..

dwighet wrote: »
    Have you tried enabling v-sync on Bf3. and crank up the motion blur...
    Your cards will handle it..

The v.sync should level out your fps to a steady 60fps and smooth things out..
    It works well for me..

I also try to stay away from servers with a ping of higher than 80..

My monitor is a 120 hertz so should still get high fps. How does turning up the motion blur help?

My monitor is a 120 hertz so should still get high fps. How does turning up the motion blur help?

Technically I couldnt tell ya.. but It works for me..
    Im thinking of going a 120 hertz monitor later on in the new year..What are your thoughts from what you have compared to a 60 hz/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

It depends. Motion blur can be due to an additional pass of the gpu before rendering a frame so if the choppiness is due to tearing (i.e. fps too high) motion blur will decrease your framerate and help reduce tearing.

If the choppiness is due to fps dropping too low (i.e. below 30) the impact motion blur has then to resolving it is more perceptual (i.e. the frames merge into each other making the transition between frames less obvious).

The online choppiness though could simply be due to dodgy networking code faced with high jitter (i.e. variable latency). It's hard to know for sure.

• Advertisement

dwighet wrote: »
    Technically I couldnt tell ya.. but It works for me..
    Im thinking of going a 120 hertz monitor later on in the new year..What are your thoughts from what you have compared to a 60 hz/

I did a fair bit of reading before I got one and there are some mixed reviews about them but I can say with 100% certainty it made a huge difference for RPG games. I bought it purely for gaming and I'm Glad I did. With the old monitor I did get constant 60 FPS but I always needed to turn V sync on and I also got a lot of screen lag, I now get FPS will over 100 on BF3 seldom lower and 80. I haven’t tried it yet for 3d and I'm not sure I will but I'm curious to see what it looks like.

I turned up the motion blur and and I kinda like it. I game was playing perfectly as well regardless of the settings so it must might just been the servers I was on, I know a lot of people are complaining about the servers after the last update.

Advertisement