Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Oz

Options
  • 22-11-2011 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I am hoping to move to Oz in the next 2 weeks, very short notice and no planning but hey you only live once, I don't know where to stay or what to work at, I have 2 degree's in Computer Science (Web and Digital Media).

Any help appreciated.

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Prob woth saying I am looking at Perth so far, all help and assistance appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Have you read the FAQ ?

Yeah, It was really helpful, nearly answered everything but I always have lingering questions, Is $5,000AU enough to bring, I will be 30 in 3 weeks, provided I do the 3 months seasonal labour can I apply for a 2nd visa & prob the best question...Am I crazy planning to go in a week or two with no planning and knowing no-one there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

nope pretty standard travel plan for a lot of people. Whats your long term plan? Staying or holiday if staying how do you intend to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

Mike... wrote: »
    Yeah, It was really helpful, nearly answered everything but I always have lingering questions, Is $5,000AU enough to bring, I will be 30 in 3 weeks, provided I do the 3 months seasonal labour can I apply for a 2nd visa & prob the best question...Am I crazy planning to go in a week or two with no planning and knowing no-one there

You don't need to do the farming unless it's just 2 years you want. If you want to stay long term try to get in a position that is looking for temp to perm on seek.com.au and if you prove yourself there's a chance of sponsorship before the 3 months farming is needed

• Advertisement

Zambia wrote: »
    nope pretty standard travel plan for a lot of people. Whats your long term plan? Staying or holiday if staying how do you intend to do that?

No 100% sure, Plan to see what its like and if it's for me.

if you prove yourself there's a chance of sponsorship before the 3 months farming is needed

Thanks man, that's a great plan, Been flicking through the seek site, fair amount of good work out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

An option you have, and it might suit your situation, is to do your seasonal work as soon as you get here. Feck off for three months to somewhere random, male a few quid, meet some people and get your second year sorted before you settle.

That way you don't have to up and leave in 9 months should you get somewhere comfortable.

Plus, sponsorship is by no means an easy thing to get so that second year will be very handy if you don't get sorted immediately.

Thats what I had planned originally... will play it as it comes, I am wondering about the second visa age wise. I will be 30 in 3 weeks time so hope to get out there the week before my b'day so when it comes to time for the second visa will I still be eligible for year 2 as I will be just about to turn 31!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

As long as u apply for ur second year visa about a month before ur 31 it will be fine, then u can use it continuously with the visa u have or come home for anything up to a year and then use it.
    Flights - I suggest booking a return which the date can be changed at any time. u never know how things will work out and it's very handy to have that there incase u find urself broke with no money to get home...this happens a lot over there :-) and a one way from oz home is VERY expensive.
    I went out last minute too, stayed for the year, best thing I ever did!!!
    Good luck.

Thanks Mel,
    Had only planned a one way ticket but will prob go for the safe option now. Hope to make the most of it, got my visa today so happy days :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement