Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear Sky

Options
  • 22-11-2011 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭

Grabbed the binoculars before bed last night, and I got clear views of Jupiter with 3 moons, the Andromeda galaxy, Pleiades, Beehive Cluster and Orion nebula.

This morning it was still clear (frost on the car), and I saw Mars and a beautiful crescent moon with an Earthlit dark side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

It was clear all day today but now there is a bit of low lying cloud. Hopefully it clears up so I can bring out the scope tonight. I might set the alarm for the morning to get a look at Saturn and Mars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Got a clear hour last night and brought the scope out. I saw Jupiter, Pleiades and Andromeda. It was my first time seeing Andromeda with the new scope and I could make out the blur. Hard to believe that little thing I was looking at had a trillion stars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Really clear sky here tonight in England. Went to the Bedford observatory with my university's Astronomical society. Got to see Jupiter really well, the ring nebula, crab nebula, the orion nebula, M15, the spiral and cigar galaxy and a lot of other bits an pieces. Really great (cold) night. They have a small planetarium too so that was good.
    Hope everyone else got to see some stuff tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Send some clear skies our way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Last night wasn't bad at all except it was bitter cold. It's great to see Orion back in the south eastern sky at a reasonable hour.

I really hope this Sat night is clear :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Looks like we'll be getting some clear skies tonight, scopes at the ready!

Cold but gloriously clear :)

Anyone manage to get out with a scope last night?

Looks like it was wonderfull!

Unfortunately (?) I was at a Christmas Party so all I managed was a glimpse at The Great Nebula in Orion with my binoculars when we got home....

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Complete newbie to Astronomy so excuse the ignorance!

Can anyone with a clear sky tonight tell me if that really bright star in the sky is infact a planet? Jupiter maybe?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes it is Jupiter, the Moon will be getting closer to it over the next few nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes it is Jupiter, the Moon will be getting closer to it over the next few nights.

Thanks for that!

Got the old telscope out of the attic and had a look. I could see it fairly well on lowish magnification but couldn't get focus with the higher mag lenses. My cause probably wasn't helped from all my shaking due to that cold!

Will try and get setup to see some of it's moons tomorrow, havn't used the telescope in yonks, forgot how much patience is required!

Don't forget to let the scope cool to ambient tempetarure outside for about 1 hour.

This should allow for better views and focussing.

...though with Irish weather it can be hard to plan an hour ahead :)

Also (like a broken record I am :) ) download Stellarium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RufustheKing

peterako wrote: »
    Don't forget to let the scope cool to ambient tempetarure outside for about 1 hour.

This should allow for better views and focussing.

...though with Irish weather it can be hard to plan an hour ahead :)

Also (like a broken record I am :) ) download Stellarium.

That might explain the reason i have good close up views of jupiter yet not very focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Weather has been woeful. Last night looked great, cold frosty ,stars a plenty. By the time i had scope outside I could see smattering of clouds. By the time it was aligned - rain ! And its raining again tonight. I havent been able to bring out scope for near 5 weeks now.

We all feel your pain.....

AND even whan it has been clear it's been very windy.....

Fingers crossed things improve!

Advertisement