Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tow Bar stolen from Carlton Hotel

Options
  • 22-11-2011 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

I know this is a long shot but it's worth a try.

Last weekend I parked my Land Rover Defender at the front of the Carlton Hotel (formerly Ryans) in Renmore. When I came back to collect it the next day some pr**k had stolen the tow bar off it. These cost hundreds to buy new. I parked right in front of the main door where the skating rinc is now. When I asked for the CCTV footage management told me they didn't have any of this area of the hotel (even though every other part of the hotel had footage) :rolleyes: I have heard nothing back form the gardai about this either (which is why I have delayed writing this). I parked at about 5:30pm on the Sunday and I collected it at about 3pm the next day. During this time <snip> had cordoned off the area (including the jeep) so they could erect the rinc, but still, no one saw anything.

If anyone hears anything can you please pm me. It really annoys me that I can't even park my car safely in a very busy city hotel and then when it comes to getting help...nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I know this is a long shot but it's worth a try.

Last weekend I parked my Land Rover Defender at the front of the Carlton Hotel (formerly Ryans) in Renmore. When I came back to collect it the next day some pr**k had stolen the tow bar off it. These cost hundreds to buy new. I parked right in front of the main door where the skating rinc is now. When I asked for the CCTV footage management told me they didn't have any of this area of the hotel (even though every other part of the hotel had footage) :rolleyes: I have heard nothing back form the gardai about this either (which is why I have delayed writing this). I parked at about 5:30pm on the Sunday and I collected it at about 3pm the next day. During this time <snip> had cordoned off the area (including the jeep) so they could erect the rinc, but still, no one saw anything.

If anyone hears anything can you please pm me. It really annoys me that I can't even park my car safely in a very busy city hotel and then when it comes to getting help...nothing.

I use the gym there, could you tell me where you parked. Don't want my car getting messed with. Sorry for your misfortune, I wasn't around that day I'm afraid. I'll ask my friends

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Sounds difficult to remove a tow bar and I cant imagine local skangers are that clever or brave enough to steal it in the middle of a hotel carpark with an ice rink being setup nearby.

<SNIP>

*Cue CSI miami intro music*

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

I wouldn't underestimate them really. I once had all the brake parts and cables etc taken off of a bike in NUIG.

It would have been way easier and quicker to just snap the lock and take the whole bike.

Anyways, forget about the tow bar, you wont get it back now. Its probably being sold on as scrap metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Did they take the entire towbar or just the ball? Taking the whole towbar off a defender isn't exactly a small job!

Hope someone comes up with answers for you. Double check the area for cameras just in case it's a case of a person who just can't be bothered to check the camera (not necessarily the case here, but it does happen).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

If you are facing the hotel front, I was parked directly in line with the bar entrance (often closed) not the reception entrance i.e. half way between the reception and the gym. I was also near to the front of the hotel, not parked way back by the perimiter railings.

The towbar is the same as pictured in the link: http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dixonbate.co.uk/assets/images/adjustbar.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dixonbate.co.uk/towing/adjustable_brackets.asp&usg=__jQ_83AaGh26KgWQnTgWnWwH2g1Q=&h=225&w=287&sz=14&hl=en&start=2&zoom=1&tbnid=9sem7KrSVkGtuM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=115&ei=nJnLTpmYOIyAhQfT8fnMDQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddefender%2Btow%2Bbar%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1

They are designed to be easily removed for adjustment for attaching different height trailers.

What really really annoys me is the Carlton's claim that they have no footage of the front car park at all even though it's one of the busiest hotels in Galway. I wonder would they have footage if I told them I slipped and banged my head off the ground and I was taking them to court???

The gardai said they were going to get an expert to look at the footage (or lack thereof) but nothing has come of it yet. I don't think they believed the Carlton management about not having any CCTV recordings either.

I spoke to <snip> about this already but of course it's a case of...show me the cctv and prove it.

• Advertisement

The gardai said they were going to get an expert to look at the footage (or lack thereof) but nothing has come of it yet.
    I wouldn't be holding out too much hope of them doing anything, unfortunately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sid the CCTV show any similar vehicles in the area around that time, one that could perhaps do with a new tow bar ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Sid the CCTV show any similar vehicles in the area around that time, one that could perhaps do with a new tow bar ??

I like the way you think, dude.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

The problem is there is no CCTV according to the Carlton's management, none for the last two months apparently. Yeah right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 marryabroad

lads i think its very bad form to be naming the marquee company here. not a bit fair on them.

are you sure the tow-bar was stolen and didn't just fall off due to pin not being secured proper? i mean how is it you noticed it? when i get back to my jeep i don't go straight to the back to check my tow-bar is still there.

you left your jeep parked in a quiet car park over night, not the brightest of ideas tbh.

• Advertisement

lads i think its very bad form to be naming the marquee company here. not a bit fair on them.
    The name of the marquee company is prominently displayed, just like the hotel name. Why is it bad naming them? I didn't say or imply they took it.

are you sure the tow-bar was stolen and didn't just fall off due to pin not being secured proper? i mean how is it you noticed it? when i get back to my jeep i don't go straight to the back to check my tow-bar is still there.
    Yes I am because I got the security guard at work to check the CCTV to see if it was on it when I left that morning...and it was

you left your jeep parked in a quiet car park over night, not the brightest of ideas tbh.
    Are you advocating drink-driving? Does this apply to every single guest of the Carlton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭yenoah

Good god!, To say that is cavalier. We have the right to our property. We have the right to live in safe secure environments. We pay our taxes to fund law enforcement. The problem here is with the culture, louts going around robbing and no one willing to help. TP had every right to leave a vehicle parked up over night.

Its not a quiet carpark. Also what about the hotel guests, do they have to stay at the hotel but park somewhere else because its safer at night. I can't believe someone actually typed that, obvious troll is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

PM Tristan if you come across the tow bar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement