Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchase Cable Modem UPC

• 22-11-2011 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has purchased a cable modem from a third party that works with UPC 25MB broadband?

I need a modem only device and asked UPC but they said cable modems are available in any high street shop. I've no problem purchasing one if I know it will work, just not sure if there's any settings that would be needed?

Thanks
    gR

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What equipment do you have at the minute????
    You should either have the Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem or the dreaded Cisco epc 2425

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can't use your own modem with UPC, so what you were told was wrong. UPC must provision the modem's MAC address, but they more than likely won't do this for a modem you provide yourself.

You can buy your own router, which could be what they are referring to, or what they thought you were asking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Currently on the Cisco with no option to put it in bridge mode. I requested a modem from them so I could use my own router so they should understand what I was asking.

I'll try them again, contract's nearly up so I'll play the close my account card.

Thanks for the info
    gR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

jor el wrote: »
    You can't use your own modem with UPC, so what you were told was wrong. UPC must provision the modem's MAC address, but they more than likely won't do this for a modem you provide yourself.

You can buy your own router, which could be what they are referring to, or what they thought you were asking about.

<removed>

Mod note: We're not going to have that particular discussion here because of it's illegal uses. UPC must provision your modem, anything else would be a breech of your contract with them and possible illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kieranf

Hi Gerry - gateway mode is now back working on the Cisco. The Cisco EPC thread has the details for the config. Running mine (again) in gateway mode for the last month or so :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement