Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi Driver fights for life after Dublin city attack [died today]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

RIP

really shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Dunno why we don't copy American style cabs with a glass the partition for the driver. Is it just a cost factor that Irish drivers don't have them? I'd never even consider becoming a driver where a fella in the back could easily just put a syringe to me or worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Dotrel wrote: »
    Dunno why we don't copy American style cabs with a glass the partition for the driver. Is it just a cost factor that Irish drivers don't have them? I'd never even consider becoming a driver where a fella in the back could easily just put a syringe to me or worse.

You hit the nail on the head there. Fantastic idea. And I'm with you I wouldnt drive a taxi without that kind of protection.

May he rest in peace. He and his family are in my prayers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Thats so sad, god love his family my heart goes out to them. RIP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

dont forget as well that there is a lot of raceism in the taxi buisness among irish and foreign drivers and it's bigger then people think

I would agree and I really hope that incidents like this are a one off isolated case because anger with the economy is fueling racism within Irish life as we saw with some of the vile comments on that thread yesterday about the Mayor of Naas.

It is absolutely despicable to touch another human being and while some people have issues with foreign taxi drivers etc. I would ask why did they choose the poor chap and if they had issues like that?

I really hope the person that done this is caught and locked away for life, and if we had the death penalty I'd gladly give him that too. Taxi drivers work long hours and to be killed while trying to earn a decent living takes some absolute scum to do this. As we on Prime Time foreign taxi drivers work hard and long even that lad pulling 24hrs, it was not right but you had to admire his determination to earn a straight honest living.

RIP and my thoughts are with him & his loved ones only a few weeks before christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Chillaxe wrote: »
    Dublin is such a ****hole.
    It could happen anywhere so don't start this sh1te.

Dublin has become a shitthole though, and just because it's true of other counties in Ireland, doesn't make Dublin any better. I say this as somebody who has grown up in Dublin and who loves the place - but there's no point in trying to censor somebody who acknowledge the fact that Dublin is going down the tubes. Something needs to be done, and there is zero point in putting on the blinkers or comparing Dublin with other dangerous cities and saying that it's ok that bad things happen here just because they happen in other places too.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Onesimus wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head there. Fantastic idea. And I'm with you I wouldnt drive a taxi without that kind of protection.

May he rest in peace. He and his family are in my prayers.

Insurance problem with partitions in modified cars but there is a lot of in cab camera technology out there somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

RIP that poor guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

xoxyx wrote: »
    Dublin has become a shitthole though, and just because it's true of other counties in Ireland, doesn't make Dublin any better. I say this as somebody who has grown up in Dublin and who loves the place - but there's no point in trying to censor somebody who acknowledge the fact that Dublin is going down the tubes. Something needs to be done, and there is zero point in putting on the blinkers or comparing Dublin with other dangerous cities and saying that it's ok that bad things happen here just because they happen in other places too.

Simply stating that Dublin is a shi1thole adds nothing to this thread.

Nobody is being censored in any way.

You've gotten the entire wrong end of the stick.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

paddyandy wrote: »
    Insurance problem with partitions in modified cars but there is a lot of in cab camera technology out there somewhere.

I wouldn't know the specifics of it myself but I have often seen plywood partitions added to vans as an aftermarket thing but it should be something to be looked into because if it only saved one persons life then all insurance nonsense would be negated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭My_left_leg

RIP.
    Very sad news. My sincere sympathy to his family.

I would not wish to be a taxi driver in Dublin (or any major town or city) nowadays, and I would especially not wish to be a Nigerian taxi driver.

Simply stating that Dublin is a shi1thole adds nothing to this thread.

Nobody is being censored in any way.

You've gotten the entire wrong end of the stick.

Sorry if I have gotten the wrong end of the stick, but the fact is, this happened in Dublin and it is just one of a long end of incidents that occurred in Dublin and serves to highlight how dangerous Dublin has become.

To say that Dublin had become a shithole in this context would have been stupid if this had been a one off attack, but the fact is that it is increasingly dangerous to be a taxi driver working in Dublin and the number of attacks on Dublin taxi-drivers are increasing, together with the number of attacks in Dublin in general.

I am sickened by what happened, and I didn't realise that the taxi driver died, until I read the update on this thread. It is abhorrent, and the fact that Dublin is becoming increasingly dangerous, and a less desirable city to live / work in, is surely relevant.

I think the fact that Dublin is getting steadily more dangerous (shithole) is a valid and relevant point to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Unfortunately crime rates are rising all over the country.

Unfortunately true. But it doesn't lessen the problems in one county to say that it's happening to the same extent in another.

I recall a Galway taxi driver being murdered over 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Unfortunately true. But it doesn't lessen the problems in one county to say that it's happening to the same extent in another.

I never said it did.

It could happen anywhere so don't start this sh1te.
    I think the fact that Dublin is getting steadily more dangerous (shithole) is a valid and relevant point to make.
    I never said it did.

Sorry - that point wasn't aimed at you. Was just a general observation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Sorry if I have gotten the wrong end of the stick, but the fact is, this happened in Dublin and it is just one of a long end of incidents that occurred in Dublin and serves to highlight how dangerous Dublin has become.

To say that Dublin had become a shithole in this context would have been stupid if this had been a one off attack, but the fact is that it is increasingly dangerous to be a taxi driver working in Dublin and the number of attacks on Dublin taxi-drivers are increasing, together with the number of attacks in Dublin in general.

I am sickened by what happened, and I didn't realise that the taxi driver died, until I read the update on this thread. It is abhorrent, and the fact that Dublin is becoming increasingly dangerous, and a less desirable city to live / work in, is surely relevant.

Simply stating that Dublin is a shithole and saying nothing else is not a valid arguement, its trolling.

Simply stating that Dublin is a shithole and saying nothing else is not a valid arguement, its trolling.

exactly we all know Dublin is a sh1thole.
    Tell us something we don't know, like how we change it for the better ....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Stinicker wrote: »
    I wouldn't know the specifics of it myself but I have often seen plywood partitions added to vans as an aftermarket thing but it should be something to be looked into because if it only saved one persons life then all insurance nonsense would be negated.

If the world worked like this, then the speed limit would be 1kph or perhaps: no cars and everyone would walk.

Anyhow, rest in peace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Poor man. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Very sad, RIP.. hope they get the animals that did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

and people think pearse/townsend st area is nice...

Flith !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

i drive a taxi in dublin myself and i have to say luckily enough incidents are rare enough. there have been a lot of calls for screens etc but tbh you could get attacked or whatever walking down the street as we've all seen in the media, most people know these days its not the greatest living so it just proves how mindless these gob****es are that try and rob a taxi driver. but all in all i suppose if it gives the driver peace of mind to go out and make a living than these screens etc might not be the worst idea.... admittedly i dont always see eye to eye with our international colleagues but nobody deserves to lose a life, especially over something of obviously miniscule proportions.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ojola

If we all know how many times taxi drivers get attacked or how many times passengers get to destination and run (or walk away) into estates without paying, we would wonder why they (taxi drivers) risk it. Is it worth the risk?

ojola wrote: »
    If we all know how many times taxi drivers get attacked or how many times passengers get to destination and run (or walk away) into estates without paying, we would wonder why they (taxi drivers) risk it. Is it worth the risk?

not really anymore but i suppose the fact that we have a job keeps some of us slightly sane

not really anymore but i suppose the fact that we have a job keeps some of us slightly sane
    What is the point my friend? Working in fear and waiting to get mugged. :eek:

I used to work in security which is another very risky job to have. I was a doorman and as you know we deal with these guys before you bring them home. It took me 15 years to let the job go.

I used to work in security which is another very risky job to have. I was a doorman and as you know we deal with these guys before you bring them home. It took me 15 years to let the job go.

i was doin that for 7 years before i started taxien, frying pan into the fire

• Advertisement

i was doin that for 7 years before i started taxien, frying pan into the fire
    I agree totally... Good luck my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Pdfile wrote: »
    and people think pearse/townsend st area is nice...

Flith !

The people from that area are nice hard working people, just because one man committed a crime it's unfair for the area to be tarred with the same brush.

The people from that area are nice hard working people, just because one man committed a crime it's unfair for the area to be tarred with the same brush.

I agree... who knows where the assailant is from? No name has been put forward by the Gardai. It could be somebody from anywhere not even living in that part of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

As it happens the person accused of this assault is from the area where it occurred. But you are right, it goes without saying that painting the residents of the Pearse St area with the same brush is wrong.

I would be hopeful the thug involved will soon have plenty of time to reflect on his actions. People everywhere should be sickened by this incident. A 12-year-old boy has lost his dad and my heart goes out to him and his family over their loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

As it happens the person accused of this assault is from the area where it occurred. But you are right, it goes without saying that painting the residents of the Pearse St area with the same brush is wrong.

I would be hopeful the thug involved will soon have plenty of time to reflect on his actions. People everywhere should be sickened by this incident. A 12-year-old boy has lost his dad and my heart goes out to him and his family over their loss.

I heard 5 lads flagged a Taxi down on Pearse street. they all jumped in, taxi drove 20 feet and stopped when the driver realized he had 5 passengers.
    The driver asked for one to get out or all get out and he also wanted his fare (for driving 20 feet) the lads told him to get stuffed and they all proceeded to leave the Taxi.The driver got out of the Taxi looking for his fare and grabbed one of the guys who pushed him, he fell and banged his head, and has since died (RIP) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Maybe they are but there's a metric ton of knackery junkie filthbags around pearse street and townsend street. Might be from the junkie clinics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I heard 5 lads flagged a Taxi down on Pearse street. they all jumped in, taxi drove 20 feet and stopped when the driver realized he had 5 passengers.
    The driver asked for one to get out or all get out and he also wanted his fare (for driving 20 feet) the lads told him to get stuffed and they all proceeded to leave the Taxi.The driver got out of the Taxi looking for his fare and grabbed one of the guys who pushed him, he fell and banged his head, and has since died (RIP) .

It appears that this is true and, apparently, it was all caught on CCTV. Seems to have been a horrible, tragic accident.
    Bambi wrote: »
    Maybe they are but there's a metric ton of knackery junkie filthbags around pearse street and townsend street. Might be from the junkie clinics

Which is the fault of the guards for not putting a stop to junkies congregating, not the residents of the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

It appears that this is true and, apparently, it was all caught on CCTV. Seems to have been a horrible, tragic accident.

That's what I thought when I read the news report.

Terrible thing, but the initial report made it sound like he'd had his head kicked in when in reality it appears to have been a freak accident.

That's what I thought when I read the news report.

Terrible thing, but the initial report made it sound like he'd had his head kicked in when in reality it appears to have been a freak accident.

let us not jump the gun here. whatever happened is still being investigated.

• Advertisement

In fairness, there's plenty of people jumping the gun and calling the guy a thug, among other things. It's still being investigated yes, but most recent reports point to it being more an accident than anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Thats what is being reported alright. A tragic accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Thats what is being reported alright. A tragic accident.

goes to show that the media can get it very wrong and report stuff without the full facts. I hope it was this , an accidental death rather than a racist attack. a few months ago the herald did a report of a gay guy attacked in a fast food outlet but it turns out the person in question ( the gay guy) provoked the other 2 people involved in the 'assault' and that he wasn't attacked because he was gay but that he kept hassling the other 2 people involved in the incident.

goes to show that the media can get it very wrong and report stuff without the full facts. I hope it was this , an accidental death rather than a racist attack. a few months ago the herald did a report of a gay guy attacked in a fast food outlet but it turns out the person in question ( the gay guy) provoked the other 2 people involved in the 'assault' and that he wasn't attacked because he was gay but that he kept hassling the other 2 people involved in the incident.

In fairness, there was never anything other than vague and reactionary supposition to indicate that it was a race attack. It was reported from that start that it was believed to be an argument over a fare. People jump to conclusions like this and, in doing so, could really damage more lives.

This is a general comment btw and not entirely directed at you StephenHendry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

That's why I said it "appears". I feel terrible for his family, terribly sad and unnecessary waste of life either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The racism roarers are going to be very disappointed if that's the case.
    Nothing to do for the rest of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

mikom wrote: »
    The racism roarers are going to be very disappointed if that's the case.
    Nothing to do for the rest of the day.

so are those who blamed drug addicts / Trinity court clients , Gardai who didnt move drug addicts on ,the general Pearse st area etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Still the potential for a manslaughter charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

In fairness, there was never anything other than vague and reactionary supposition to indicate that it was a race attack. It was reported from that start that it was believed to be an argument over a fare. People jump to conclusions like this and, in doing so, could really damage more lives.

This is a general comment btw and not entirely directed at you StephenHendry.

i understand , no probs mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Very sad news indeed but if any light can shine through the tunnel is that hopefully it wasnt a racist attack.

I'll admit when I first heard it I was expecting racist thuggery at play and I was fearing for society if that was the case and how cheap life is to some scum but after hearing reports I'm slightly relieved.

Though this sad story makes me ask myself questions such as:

- Should Taxi men/women be allowed carry mace?
    - Is it part of the job?
    - What was the taxi man doing chasing down 5 lads for a 200 feet fair?

Terrible news though and may God have mecy on his family and perpetrator.

the amount of times i've gotten into taxis driven by foreigners (mainly Nigerians/black Africans) and to be honest they don't seem to have a clue where they are going. this could be a deliberate attempt to screw me, or it could simply be ignorance.

either way it is extremely annoying, as i the passenger has to pay for their stupidity. i can see how this could lead to arguments. thankfully i'm a pretty patient guy, but if you got a drunken/stoned hothead in the cab the results are gonna be violent.

(btw i've also been "misdirected" by irish taxi drivers, but on a very rare occasion).

• Advertisement
Advertisement