Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi Driver fights for life after Dublin city attack [died today]

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Pdfile wrote: »
    and people think pearse/townsend st area is nice...

Flith !

Do they?I have never heard anybody describe that area as nice.
    Shed loads of knackers living in the flats there. gangs of kids wandering around at all hours of the day and night,very often hassling people on the street. I have witnessed this several times.
    On another note what on earth was the driver doing asking to be paid for driving 20 yards. That is silly. Loads of CCTV aroun there so I reckon the whole thing will be recorded.
    Manslaughter is the likely outcome. If even that.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ojola

Guys until we get the PM result nobody can claim to know what transpired that led to the death of this poor man. Was it a punch, a savage punch, a cosh or a hammer the post motem result will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

tragic story for all concerned, if a poor man lost his life over something so simple, then its awful to think about it.

likewise, for the others involved, they have to live with this for the rest of their lives.

may he rest in peace and if this wasnt an accident, then i hope justice is served. either way, i think the truth will come out eventually. would be a shame for this to have happened for the sake of 5euro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭My_left_leg

fights/arguments can start over the daftest of "issues".

i was at a do recently where there was a free bar all night. no problem just go to the bar and order whatever you want. 2 guys from our office started punching the heads off one another 'cos 1 guy accused the other guy of "stealing" his drink. (both culprits were Irish). Oh how we laughed on Monday!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ojola wrote: »
    Was it a punch, a savage punch, a cosh or a hammer the post motem result will tell.

I doubt it greatly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

why is racism always mentioned when somebody non irish dies?

how do the people writing these articles/posts know for sure for example, the people involved were irish for example?

really gets me that the racism card is played, without any evidence to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Some posters here seem to be much better informed (in their own estimation at least) about the details of this tragic incident than the rest of us can read in the media. This is the latest I could find (on the RTE news web site):

"A 41-year-old taxi driver who was injured in an incident on Dublin's Pearse Street early on Monday morning has died today.

The man was pronounced dead at St James's Hospital this afternoon.

A man in his 20s, who was arrested in connection with the incident, has been released without charge.

A file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The taxi driver was attacked by a man near the junction of Erne Street.

The man then left the scene
    and walked in the direction of Erne Street.
    "

Perhaps those who have been posting details of how the taxi driver allegedly threatened the passenger with a cosh, etc., etc., etc., would care to tell us their source?

I doubt that a member of the Garda would leak such information.

Also, if the young man who has been arrested was acting in self-defence - and especially if there were any witnesses - why did he leave the scene?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Belly_Dancer

why is racism always mentioned when somebody non irish dies?

how do the people writing these articles/posts know for sure for example, the people involved were irish for example?

really gets me that the racism card is played, without any evidence to back it up.

Totally agree HomerJay!
    This attack is deeply regretable, but has nothing to do with race.
    Some foreigner/Eastern European allegedly killed and chucked 2 blokes (1 Irish, 1 English) in a river in Bandon.
    Should we classify that as a racist killing?

I know this will disappoint the PC crowd, but heck ......

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Some posters here seem to be much better informed (in their own estimation at least) about the details of this tragic incident than the rest of us can read in the media. This is the latest I could find (on the RTE news web site):

"A 41-year-old taxi driver who was injured in an incident on Dublin's Pearse Street early on Monday morning has died today.

The man was pronounced dead at St James's Hospital this afternoon.

A man in his 20s, who was arrested in connection with the incident, has been released without charge.

A file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The taxi driver was attacked by a man near the junction of Erne Street.

The man then left the scene
    and walked in the direction of Erne Street.
    "

Perhaps those who have been posting details of how the taxi driver allegedly threatened the passenger with a cosh, etc., etc., etc., would care to tell us their source?

I doubt that a member of the Garda would leak such information.

Also, if the young man who has been arrested was acting in self-defence - and especially if there were any witnesses - why did he leave the scene?

The reason he left the scene may be to get home, as this was his initial intention I presume. Just because he may have acted in self-defence does not negate that intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭DamoNolan

i heard on the radio that they were fighting over the fare and that the taxi driver hit the fella and then the fella hit him back and he fell and hit his head and then he walked off..after he hit his head he got bck up tho..thats what i heard on the radio..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

The reason he left the scene may be to get home, as this was his initial intention I presume. Just because he may have acted in self-defence does not negate that intention.

What about calling an ambulance for the stricken man, or the Gardai, or both?

Just asking, like.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    What about calling an ambulance for the stricken man, or the Gardai, or both?

Just asking, like.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well as the previous poster claims, if allegedly the taxi overcharged me, and then proceeded to assault me I wouldn't be a particularly charitable mood. Would you?

I know the right thing to do would be to not get involved in an argument in the first place, and just give him his fare but some folk get pretty heated if they perceive themselves to be ripped off.

Well as the previous poster claims, if allegedly the taxi overcharged me, and then proceeded to assault me I wouldn't be a particularly charitable mood. Would you?

I know the right thing to do would be to not get involved in an argument in the first place, and just give him his fare but some folk get pretty heated if they perceive themselves to be ripped off.

Well i can tell ya if some bloody foreigner attempted to rip me off, and then attacked me i would not walk away!
    They must think we're feckin eejits!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Well i can tell ya if some bloody foreigner attempted to rip me off, and then attacked me i would not walk away!
    They must think we're feckin eejits!

I reckon they think you're a feckin eejit for a start.

So what would you do if some bloody Irish person tried to rip you off?

I reckon they think you're a feckin eejit for a start.

So what would you do if some bloody Irish person tried to rip you off?

i would react in exactly the same way.
    i don't believe in getting all PC when i am about to beat the crap outta some scammer.:D

i would react in exactly the same way.
    i don't believe in getting all PC when i am about to beat the crap outta some scammer.:D

Well, you're being ripped off left, right and centre in this country so you must be tired from all that beating up you do.

Well, you're being ripped off left, right and centre in this country so you must be tired from all that beating up you do.

if i'm being scammed i'll let 'em know about it for sure. and if the person proceeded to attack me, then most definitely i would defend myself.

unlike many of us Irish i wont be thinking "oooh! i mustn't offend these poor people who have come from Africa, because God Bless 'em they need the money, and things are so bad in their own country & we are so lucky to be white and living here".

SCREW THAT!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

if i'm being scammed i'll let 'em know about it for sure. and if the person proceeded to attack me, then most definitely i would defend myself.

unlike many of us Irish i wont be thinking "oooh! i mustn't offend these poor people who have come from Africa, because God Bless 'em they need the money, and things are so bad in their own country & we are so lucky to be white and living here".

have you finished your homework yet ?

that's whats wrong with this country. We all seem to so afraid of offending these foreigners (oops! sorry ethnic minorities). England made exactly that mistake and now look at it. You cant look sideways at one of them or they'll accuse you of being a racist.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Well it seems the chaps nationality or race is totally unimportant here and hopefully there was nothing racial about it. If it was an Irish taxi driver the same thing could have happened.

If there was a row over a fare aggression then surely the CCTV if there was any will provide a true picture of what happened and the coroners would know if the guy was assaulted or fell etc.

It does say in the news reports that Gardai arrested a chap in a pub a while late, so you'd be hoping they done the right thing and called paramedics and guards, because if a person assaulted me I'd ring the guards on them and if I saw someone falling knocking themselves out I'd call them an ambulance or doctor.

It looks like a tragic disaster for all involved :(

Sarcasm is not one of your finer points is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Just a footnote on this, two months after he died his family recieved notification that he was being granted citizenship!
    http://examiner.ie/ireland/it-was-so-painful-after-his-passing-he-got-citizenship-183455.html
    Well done Mr.Shatter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

lividduck wrote: »
    Just a footnote on this, two months after he died his family recieved notification that he was being granted citizenship!
    http://examiner.ie/ireland/it-was-so-painful-after-his-passing-he-got-citizenship-183455.html
    Well done Mr.Shatter

So is he still dead or what?

"I am an Irish now and my son is an Irish, Moses now is an Irish" She does'nt even know the plural for what they just became? Thats some naturalisation process we have :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Snakeblood wrote: »
    In New York there's a gps screen on the back of the front seat of the cab, so you can see exactly where you are, where your destination is, and which route you are taking to get there. Plus camera. It's the best system, if only all cab drivers (and no, I'm not generalising, I've met every single cabbie in New York) wasn't clinically insane.

This isnt New York

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Bambi wrote: »
    "I am an Irish now and my son is an Irish, Moses now is an Irish" She does'nt even know the plural for what they just became? Thats some naturalisation process we have :pac:

If we were to require that all citizens spoke perfect English (or Irish!) then the population of the country would be significantly smaller.
    Before you respond, please note that there are at least 2 grammatical errors in your post.

Ficheall wrote: »
    If we were to require that all citizens spoke perfect English (or Irish!) then the population of the country would be significantly smaller.
    Before you respond, please note that there are at least 2 grammatical errors in your post.

Perfect energlish me oul flower? I don't be expecting annybody to be lernt to talk perfect engerlish buud, so that straw man can go and swivel

I do expect them to know just what the hell they're being naturalised as, at the very least.

And while we're here, even if perfect spoken engerlish (thats differdent from yer written grammr buddy) became a requirement for citizenship the population would remain exactly the same. :confused:

And dose apostrophes can go swivel and all :)

Advertisement