Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I a pariah for doing all my Christmas shopping online

• 22-11-2011 10:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Between eBay & Amazon I've got the lot sorted, delivered already waiting to be wrapped.
    My smugness has been tempered by a attack over my lack of patriotism in this time of need.
    It's been pointed out that I've avoided paying VAT & supporting local retail.
    Whether that's true or not I've saved over 300 smackers & that's the bottom line as far as I'm concerned.

Should I have donned the green jersey or am I in the right here ?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well, everyone else is going north it seems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Times are tough. Every man/woman for themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Between eBay & Amazon I've got the lot sorted, delivered already waiting to be wrapped.
    My smugness has been tempered by a attack over my lack of patriotism in this time of need.
    Whether that's true or not I've saved over 300 smackers & that's the bottom line as far as I'm concerned.

Actually with amazon you pay irish vat anyway, that's why prices go up very slightly when you go to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Rabidlamb wrote: »

I get my green Jerseys on Lovell-rugby.Co.uk

getting mine online or getting vouchers from shops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

You can't beat a bit of christmas shopping in the rub up to Christmas in your home town. Christmas music playing...stopping in for some lunch and then a pint on the way home. Wrapping paper sticking out of the bags. The realisation that you only bought one present someone will actually appreciate and that's more down to your lack of imagination than the selection in the shops..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Shopping online. If I wanted to run around shops like an arsehole elbowing my way through arseholes who should have done their christmas shopping earlier, I'd have lived in the 70s 80s and 90s. Which I did. So I'm not doing it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

Where ever i can find the items i want for the cheapest price is where i shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Feel a bit guilty about this sometimes too.
    The OH was getting a present last night for her brother.
    Checked an Irish website, then checked Amazon - exact same product over 30% cheaper on Amazon when you converted back to euros.

Hard to use Irish websites at that price difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Feel a bit guilty about this sometimes too.
    The OH was getting a present last night for her brother.
    Checked an Irish website, then checked Amazon - exact same product over 30% cheaper on Amazon when you converted back to euros.

Hard to use Irish websites at that price difference.

Had one recently where a pivoting wall bracket for my 40" LCD was €199.99 in Currys but only €27.99 on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

No, Ireland was rip off even in the good times- I dont blame you and I'll certainly be doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

fcuk no, christmas shopping is when the general public turn into even bigger assholes, 4 christmasseseses working in hmv taught me that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Shopping in the UK won't hurt the Irish economy, at worst it will help it in the long term by forcing business owners to lower prices, then business rent will come down.
    I don't get this loyalty to Irish brands apart from how it lowers transport costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

With online shopping from overseas, I feel as guilty as the government does when it decides to shove the VAT rate up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

You can't beat a bit of christmas shopping in the rub up to Christmas in your home town. Christmas music playing...stopping in for some lunch and then a pint on the way home. Wrapping paper sticking out of the bags. The realisation that you only bought one present someone will actually appreciate and that's more down to your lack of imagination than the selection in the shops..

You can't beat doing your Christmas shopping online and then having your Saturday afternoons free to have a rake of pints and not miss any of the sport! Plus the pub won't be crowded like the shops and streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Got 90% of mine done through amazon. Simply down to cost/availability.
    Granted though the postman now fcuking hates me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭ThelotusKid

Wait . . . how much is a pariah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I try to buy as much as I can here, ideally smaller independent shops.

I'm also willing to pay a small premium to do this to balance out the conveniece of being able to go to a bricks and mortar shop for after sales if need be, or just because I like trying on clothes, browsing etc.

However the prob is that some of the price differences are just so big that I'm left with no choice but to shop online or I'd be an idiot.

Just got new glasses from the UK for €256 delivered. Tried them on in the optician across the road here but he wanted €454 not including the 50 quid eyetest I just paid them. Contact lenses are a similar story, 30 quid a month in the shop, 12 online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

This will be the 3rd xmas in a row where I buy all my xmas shopping on line. You end up saving a fortune. Id say 80% of the xmas shopping I did last year was through Amazon and the rest was buying vouchers and tickets online. Id say the guy who delivers the post around the building was sick of me because almost every day for 3 weeks there was new box arriving in for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

ejmaztec wrote: »
    With online shopping from overseas, I feel as guilty as the government does when it decides to shove the VAT rate up.

I'm sure they feel very guilty :rolleyes:

I heard their sneaky plan to stop us going up North is to put more Carbon Tax on Fuel, ingenious I say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Do you buy the stuff to get delivered to yourselves and then repost it on? I can't be bothered with that and do sort of feel like it's cheating a bit but **** it, I'm not going to go around to actual shops to buy things and then queuing up in the post office to spend a fortune posting the bastards, am I ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Allowing greedy retailers to rob you is not patriotic, it's idiotic.
    Always buy from the cheapest, money is hard enough to come by without being guilt tripped into handing it over to someone who's basically treating you as a mug. Fúck that shít!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

OP, Amazon has an Irish warehouse, so you're supporting Irish jobs and saving money, best of both worlds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

OP, Amazon has an Irish warehouse, so you're supporting Irish jobs and saving money, best of both worlds

And they pay the VAT to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

There are no pariahs any more. Gandhiji felt it was wrong to call people "untouchable" and gave them a new name: harijan, meaning "children of God". They are nowadays called "Dalits". That comes from a Sanskirt word meaning "ground down", "suppressed", "shattered" or "crushed", which pretty well describes also Irish consumers nowadays.:(

So good luck to you if you can find a way to make your meagre pennies stretch a bit further.:):)

Advertisement