Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I believe in Kevpants" (S&SS Off Topic thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Any word out on how it's going over there? I would mosey over but I'm too hungover to move :pac:

I couldn't get there either. Sounds like it was an emo day for L, token and a fair few others unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Any word out on how it's going over there? I would mosey over but I'm too hungover to move :pac:

I wish I was better at remembering information:( It was a good competition and it seemed well run.

I know L snatched 97x, 97, 102kg and Brydie was 115, 120, 122x, can't remember tokens at all!

And I think Brydie's final Clean and Jerk was 150kg...but I could stand corrected

Now if ye were to ask me for ridiculous details I'd remember those :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

I didn't see all big lifts as because of the amount of people lifting they put me in the last group with all the senior lifters. Well out of place!

There were a few big snatches. Brydy (now an 85kg lifter) and Darcy. Both 120kg. Darcy missed 125kg on last lift I think. Peter Stewart missed his first two attempts at 110kg in 77kg class and got it on last attempt. Wayne bloated himself up over 69kg as he wanted to lift in 3 weight classes this year..for the craic I guess? Well I think he might have been going for byrdy's 77kg records! He snatched an awkward 111kg opener. some rescue if anyone has it on video. He narrowly missed 117kg I think it was on the 2nd. Then went for 120kg which he was planning on going for during the week. He missed it but wasn't a million miles off. He did a mad ninja cartwheel type move out front to avoid getting hit by the bar. I reckon someone should convince him to do all the tricking n parkour stuff Clarence does for the craic. He's just a ball of fast twitch fibres.

The clean&jerks ended up being a bit of an anti-climax. Wayne pulled out as he was bollixed from running the comp and then trying to lift in it also. Not ideal! Brydy injured his back and knocked his opener from 150kg to 140kg. He missed 150kg on 2nd attempt and stuck it on his last. He had planned on hitting 160kg for the 85kg record before hurting his back. I'm not sure what Peter Stewart finished with, 140'something.

EDIT: Yep Darcy got 150 c&j also. I think it was on his 2nd attempt and he choose not to do the 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

and why I came on to this thread in the first place

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/q3yag/250kg_atg_squat_87kg_18yrs_old_no_beltwraps_raw/

First the crossfit forums and now Reddit. Clarences internet fame grows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Had a browse of crossfit last. Seen that one of the WODs last week include a 1RM bench press. Shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Mellor wrote: »
    Had a browse of crossfit last. Seen that one of the WODs last week include a 1RM bench press. Shocker.

Were there complaints in the comments?

Its usually something about "lying down and bracing your back isn't functional..."
    These people must have rubbish sex lives.

Don't read the comments.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Were there complaints in the comments?

Its usually something about "lying down and bracing your back isn't functional..."
    These people must have rubbish sex lives.
    I must read the comments and see how the bench number compare to the others. It was last weds I think

I think its was 1RM in each of Bench, Clean and Overhead squat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I must read the comments and see how the bench number compare to the others. It was last weds I think

I think its was 1RM in each of Bench, Clean and Overhead squat

Thats actually a safety drill for crossfitters.... you clean the weight up....attempt to over head squat it...then floor press it off you once it crushes you like a boss...

• Advertisement

The war on terror has forever changed the rules on the battlefield. For the first time ever, there is a bench press on the battlefield.

Here's the WOD video.
    Spencer Hendel: clean 159.5kg, bench 127.5kg, OHS 154.5kg = 442kg

Lads. I've deleted some posts here on comments about other forums on boards. We dont allow this. Next person to bash another forum can have a week off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

A week off work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Did i imagine it or is there a lifting comp on in ironside today?

Did i imagine it or is there a lifting comp on in ironside today?

the emo nationals were on there last weekend in think...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CathalByrd

Heard about this forum a while back, great to see an Irish forum dedicated to strength sports!

There was a National Squad Session held in ECB/Ironside yesterday for the European Senior Championships that are on in April, a good day had by all...

CathalByrd wrote: »
    Heard about this forum a while back, great to see an Irish forum dedicated to strength sports!

There was a National Squad Session held in ECB/Ironside yesterday for the European Senior Championships that are on in April, a good day had by all...

Excellent...whos going to Seniors this year from Ireland?

Excellent...whos going to Seniors this year from Ireland?

Myself, Kevin D'Arcy, Wayne Healy, Clarence Kennedy, Peter Stewart & Neil Dougan have all made the qualification standard. One or two more might yet make the standard.

Not all qualified lifters have confirmed their place on the squad yet, but the squad should be confirmed over the next few weeks. We hope to maybe sneak an Olympic spot (only one athlete spot will be possible to attain) by ranking high enough in the team rankings. This will be a very challenging task in a sport dominated so heavily by Eastern European & Asian nations, but what is sport without a challenge...?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

What's the qualifying standard, 330 sinclair?

Only need to find 100kg more so.
    CathalByrd wrote: »

We hope to maybe sneak an Olympic spot (only one athlete spot will be possible to attain) by ranking high enough in the team rankings. This will be a very challenging task in a sport dominated so heavily by Eastern European & Asian nations, but what is sport without a challenge...?!

That would be fantastic. Good luck Byrdie and to the others.

• Advertisement

What's the qualifying standard, 330 sinclair?

310 for Europeans, 330 for Worlds.

An Olympic Spot would be great for the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Thud

What do ye need to do to get an Olympic spot, would it be team avg or individual placing well?

What do ye need to do to get an Olympic spot, would it be team avg or individual placing well?

For London 2012, Olympic spots are won based on a nation's team ranking at the 2010 & 2011 Senior World Championships & 2012 European Senior Championships. The higher a nation ranks, the more spots they receive. Here's how things stand at the moment: http://iwf.net/events/2011/WWC_Paris/MQLONDON.pdf

There are 7 spots to be claimed at the upcoming Europeans. Nations that have already secured spots at World Championships will not be in contention so excluding these nations, the top 7 nations at the Europeans will receive one spot each. We will be up against some tough countries but we do have a chance, albeit an outside one... A nation can send 8 male lifters, but 6 have to pre-nominated as point winners to contribute towards team points/ranking. Points are given to each of these 6 athletes based on their placing in their weight category, these points are then added and compared to the other nations' points in order to rank nations.

Individual qualification can only be achieved if a nation has particularly good lifters who hold a high world ranking or who are in the medals quite regularly. Unfortunately for Ireland we have no lifters at such a standard so we cannot make this case to the International Weightlifting Federation.

There is a 'wild-card' option also, but this is only for nations that send really small teams to the Olympic Games. Ireland are ineligible for 'wild-card' application as we generally send quite large teams to the Olympics.

I hope this is clear-ish... It's not the most straight-forward methods of qualification. Most sports have 'Olympic standards' and should an athlete make the standard they qualify. Weightlifting chooses to use a team-orientated system however which does tend to favour the bigger nations and nations where weightlifting is a popular sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Thud

Cheers Cathal, best of luck to ye out there in April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Spasibo

How many people clicked on the link saw IRI and thought "ah sure, we're third".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Spasibo wrote: »
    How many people clicked on the link saw IRI and thought "ah sure, we're third".

I would have thought very few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Two things I learned from today's training session;

1) Mint Choc Whey is rather nice
    2) Training is so much nicer when you're eating a load of food. (Who would have thought)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Anyone see the update Glenn Ross put up about the new event in the ISM final? A 2 inch axel snatch..

Someone is going to demolish themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Dathai wrote: »
    Anyone see the update Glenn Ross put up about the new event in the ISM final? A 2 inch axel snatch..

Someone is going to demolish themselves.

presume the competitor can muscle snatch. Dunno what height the snatch is from either, could be a hummer tyre or standard plates. Bluddy interesting.

Advertisement