Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a cast iron insert for fireplace

• 22-11-2011 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Can anyone help?

I need some assistance. We have removed an old marble fireplace and are in the middle of fitting a new fireplace. Oak surround with a cast iron insert.

What i need help with is do i fill the gap between the insert and the wall? Up as far as the mantle? This is about a 4" gap. Or do i leave this space empty? And if i fill it, whats the best material to fill it with?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

pooper wrote: »
    Can anyone help?

I need some assistance. We have removed an old marble fireplace and are in the middle of fitting a new fireplace. Oak surround with a cast iron insert.

What i need help with is do i fill the gap between the insert and the wall? Up as far as the mantle? This is about a 4" gap. Or do i leave this space empty? And if i fill it, whats the best material to fill it with?

Hi:) If you are talking about the gap left behind and to the sides of the cast iron insert inside the chimney base I would fill it with a dry vermiculite/sand/cement mix. Then mix wet sand and cement and form the slope up at the three sides so any soot falls into the fire and can't gather in the chimney and cause a fire hazard.

If I have it wrong a photo would help:D

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

pooper wrote: »

A photo would surely help since it's not at all clear what gap you're talking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mickward

you need to build a single row of brick up either side of the new cast insert.

Advertisement