Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Car-Parking

• 22-11-2011 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

Have a look at this.

http://limerick.ie/living/localinformation/gettingaround/parking/carparkpromotion/

"Limerick traders and participating city centre car parks have joined forces to offer a new service to provide free parking to Limerick shoppers.

Freepark Carparks Limerick is a trial initiative which aims to bring more shoppers into Limerick city centre.

The scheme, which began on Monday, October 3rd, is being rolled out initially on a pilot basis with the aim of operating on a long term basis if successful.

When customers spent a set amount in participating shops, hotels, restaurants and businesses, they will be rewarded with parking vouchers, based on a minimum spend in that outlet."

Also.

http://limerick.ie/living/highlights/name,45008,en.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

hallelujah! innovative thinking at last! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Finally is right - though - Dunnes Stores have been doing something like that with their car park on henry street for years.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The fact that you have to spend a certain amount before the parking is free is what makes this dead in the water. Park in the crescent for free and do your shopping or park in town for free with strings and conditions attached. I'd like to help the city by shopping there but there's still absolutely no incentive to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

DarkJager wrote: »
    The fact that you have to spend a certain amount before the parking is free is what makes this dead in the water. Park in the crescent for free and do your shopping or park in town for free with strings and conditions attached. I'd like to help the city by shopping there but there's still absolutely no incentive to do so.

You go to the Crescent to shop.

Presumably, this might be a wild guess here, but *presumably* this initiative is aimed at those shoppers who will spend money?

It absolutely is a good incentive, in my view. Not a cure-all, obviously, but a good innovation.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

How much do you have to spend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

CiaranMT wrote: »
    You go to the Crescent to shop.

Presumably, this might be a wild guess here, but *presumably* this initiative is aimed at those shoppers who will spend money?

It absolutely is a good incentive, in my view. Not a cure-all, obviously, but a good innovation.

Exactly. It is certainly a step in the right direction and one that should be encouraged.

I do think that they should state what the minimum spend is for each store though as it is not the same amount for each individual store. Would not take a lot of effort for those figures to be got and put up on their website.

One store on the list that is locally owned and run, which I will not name for risk of getting myself into hassle, wanted a very high minimum spend in order to get enough vouchers to cover one hour in the nearby participating carpark.

Now whether the two people in the shop made a mistake that day or not I do not know, but looking for a three figure minimum spend in order to give out one hour of parking seemed a bit extreme to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I'm curious what the min spend is too cos I've shopped in plenty of these shops over the last month or so and have never been asked about parking vouchers or anything. If you knew what the min spend was you might be tempted to buy more in one shop rather than spreading out your purchases between shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

This is based on the current system in the Town im living in the UK. The head of the Dorchester Bid met with Limerick officals and traders and they decided to go ahead with it. Most if not all of the cost of this is being brunt by traders in the city.

The minimum spend over here is £10 to get your free 2 hours parking ( Maximum £1)

Its a good idea over all. Its just annoying at the start with loads of chancers trying to buy a bar of chocolate and get £5 back for their parking. You do not get money back just a discount on your purchase to offset the cost of parking! Also you'll have to produce a parking docket for that day!

http://www.dorchesterdorset.com/parkingshopping.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah Gleesons Sports have this offer when you purchase anything in their shop, you get free parking in the Summer St car park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I'm curious what the min spend is too cos I've shopped in plenty of these shops over the last month or so and have never been asked about parking vouchers or anything. If you knew what the min spend was you might be tempted to buy more in one shop rather than spreading out your purchases between shops

Was in another shop (one from the two listed that sell books) on that list this morning, and decided to ask at the counter what the minimum spend was with them for getting the voucher towards the cost of car parking.

I got a confused look, and was told that she had no idea what I was talking about. I told her where to find the info online, and that the store she was working in was listed as being involved. She then repeated that she never heard of it, and that as far as she was concerned nothing like that was running in Limerick.

Makes it harder for a good idea to take off when shop staff don't know about it, or their bosses/store owners don't pass on the info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement