Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-max broadband - will speeds decrease?

• 22-11-2011 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

I currently recieve my broadband via wimax...and a good service is provided. The dish is placed on top of the roof, and is in line of sight of the mast. Now, im moving to a new house 150 feet away and line of sight on the new house is blocked by trees. To get around the issue, the installation enginneer said I could move dish to a poll 50 feet away, and run cable from there.

My question is, would the signal/speeds be reduced greatly if the wimax receving dish is that far away from the house?

Dont want to go through the hassel and cost if there is a chance that our speeds are going to decrease (as it only is a 2MB download as it stands).

Oh, i live in a rural enough area so not many other broadband options available!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Who is the ISP? Wimax is a technology, not a service provider. It has various implementations which can effect your service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Lightnet Broadband is the ISP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No problem, ethernet cable will run 100m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    No problem, ethernet cable will run 100m.

And that will be without any impact on the 2MB download speeds? If so, then thats what i wanted to hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

LowOdour wrote: »
    And that will be without any impact on the 2MB download speeds? If so, then thats what i wanted to hear!

It's not like analogue, it works under 100m, not at all over that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Should be alrite yeah

Advertisement