Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying Beggars in the City Centre

• 22-11-2011 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Seems to be a load of them hassling us recently in Dublin city. :rolleyes: Do you walk by or drop a few coins in their cup? I can't remember ever giving change to a homeless person :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I give them money if I have it handy. Only to the Irish ones and not to anyone who comes up to me asking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

F*ck Off usually works a treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Tried to give a lad a sandwich once, he had a sign up saying homeless and hungry, i felt bad with my large roll so i handed it to him. He flat out refused it, said he wanted the money instead, i told him i didn't have more money on me then the prick started to get abusive, so i got the roll, broke it up in my hands and ****ed it into the nearest bin. We both went hungry that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Them and us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

a year ago i gave some money to an irish lad walking around town in a sleeping bag. he was really nice and we had a bit of a chat.
    then a short while later, i saw this foreign lad wearing just a large stretched hoody sitting on the ground in bare feet... it made me feel really ****ty. i gave him a fiver... and i was told later that he was part of an organised group of gypsies that go around like that on purpose to get more money.

like initially when i saw him in bare feet it really got to me and was what made me give him the fiver (i have feck all money myself) but then i just felt worse knowing that at the end of the day he goes around the corner and puts proper clothes and shoes on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I'd say the majority of people would happily give money to someone who was homeless trying to get back on their feet. Problem has always been - working out who's a homeless person and who's gonna spend whatever you give them on drink or drugs. I've made that call in the past and sometimes you just gotta figure that you've done your bit and its up to them. So in the absence of a sure-fire way of knowing, I think it's better to give money to the Simon Community - even if it's hard to refuse someone looking and talking directly to you.

Walking home a few years ago in a UK city, a guy comes up to me and a girl I'm with. He asks for money "for a bed". I don't like the look of him (yeah - i judged him) and gently picked up the hand of the girl I'm with. He starts screaming at us saying "she was gonna give me something....". Just kept walking. But really wanted to tell him that such razor sharp observation and people skills are just the kinda thing that would get him a great job some day. In fairness, the guy looked healthier than me and I figured he could get his **** together and work if he wanted a bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 johnj26

Guill wrote: »
    Tried to give a lad a sandwich once, he had a sign up saying homeless and hungry, i felt bad with my large roll so i handed it to him. He flat out refused it, said he wanted the money instead, i told him i didn't have more money on me then the prick started to get abusive, so i got the roll, broke it up in my hands and ****ed it into the nearest bin. We both went hungry that day.

Poor you :rolleyes: do you realise that these people have nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

johnj26 wrote: »

You do realise that he tried to offer him his roll yeah? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Except their social welfare payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

Well attacking people trying to help him is hardly going to improve his situation is it?

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    You do realise that he tried to offer him his roll yeah? :rolleyes:

I suppose Beggars can't be choosers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

ronaneire wrote: »
    Them and us?

Yeah, the poor and those darn richers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I never ever give to beggars on the street, but plenty of times I've see people sleeping in doorways at night and have dropped a tenner or packet of fags into their hands.

The poor bastards who have nowhere to sleep need more help than what I consider the gippo gangs or chancers holding babies parking themselves next to cashpoint machines and wailing loudly whenever walks past.
    They get nothing.

Well attacking people trying to help him is hardly going to improve his situation is it?

You're right, I think the main reason I wouldn't drop a couple of euro into their cups is that I'd be afraid when I go to lean over they would jump up and stab me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

In your op you called them annoying and stated you've never given them anything. Who are you to criticise anyone? And who is "us"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Except their social welfare payments?

they dont get money off the welfare as they dont have an address

The poor bastards who have nowhere to sleep need more help than what I consider the gippo gangs or chancers holding babies parking themselves next to cashpoint machines and wailing loudly whenever walks past.
    They get nothing.

You'd think that but I once saw one of them finish their "shift" on the Millenium Bridge then go around the corner and drive off in a Merc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

You'd think that but I once saw one of them finish their "shift" on the Millenium Bridge then go around the corner and drive off in a Merc.

i've seen that myself... it sickens me

Adyx wrote: »
    In your op you called them annoying and stated you've never given them anything. Who are you to criticise anyone? And who is "us"?

Honest people who actually do a days work like myself & don't expect to have things handed to them in life :rolleyes: I suppose its comparable with people on the dole in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

You're right, I think the main reason I wouldn't drop a couple of euro into their cups is that I'd be afraid when I go to lean over they would jump up and stab me :rolleyes:

There's no need for you to be frightened by beggars John and you should try to get over that phobia.

On the other hand in the post we're referring to it is clearly mentioned that the beggar was becoming aggro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

AdrianII wrote: »

All they need is a temporary place of residence (hostel, bedsit, friends place) so long as they can be contacted by mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I was back up in dublin recently (moved down to cork about 4 years ago) and i couldnt get over the amount of beggars around the place. I was in a restaurant on south william street (i think) and in the 30 mins or so i was there, 6 or 7 different people wandered in off the street and went table to table looking for money. I give money to people occasionally but not young fellas, drunk people, the lads that sit by ATMs and definitely not anyone that comes into shops/pubs/restaurants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Honest people who actually do a days work like myself & don't expect to have things handed to them in life :rolleyes: I suppose its comparable with people on the dole in a way.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MiseryCat

I see this beggar old gypsies woman going around selling magazines with her cup,looking around with big sad saucer eyes and she opens her mouth you see Gold teeth in her head and every time the Guards come she runs away .

Do people think its a good idea to introduce a recycling system whereby we get 10/20 cent back on our cans/bottles? It has major advantages in that much more gets recycled, cleaner streets, homeless and junkies can earn a few measly euro by cleaning the place and they are kept busy :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

A guy came up to me recently in Soho square and said "Can you spare some change to help me get biblically w*nkered?", which was a novel approach, rofl

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I hate to see the young Roma girls with newborns sitting on the street when its zero degrees.

I hate to see the young Roma girls with newborns sitting on the street when its zero degrees.

Yeah I agree, A lot of Xenophobes in this thread, not all Romas are automatically scammers :rolleyes: Some of them can actually good honest people, which is more than can be said for majority of the people on the dole in ireland ATM bleeding our country dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yeah I agree, A lot of Xenophobes in this thread, not all Romas are automatically scammers :rolleyes: Some of them can actually good honest people, which is more than can be said for majority of the people on the dole in ireland ATM bleeding our country dry.

Yeah the good ones have chippers...might wanna tone down the generalizations too.

• Advertisement

When I feel strongly about something the bold font comes out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I haven't given a begger anything in about 10 years.

If i had a sandwich i didn't want i might give them that but never ever money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Its epidemic everytime I stepped out for a smoke I was hit up "story bud" "would you have any money for me to get into a hostel" and I will add they are mainly Irish but also mainly junkies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Last line was tounge in cheek. Obviously you missed the the previous text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

AdrianII wrote: »

This is not the case.

Homeless people do get SW payments.

Many articles that follow a day in the life of a homeless person include descriptions of their visits to SW offices.

How they deal with entering an address onto a database, I'm not sure? Maybe c/o a shelter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm sure you know where Dublin forum is, please use it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement