Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports & Exercise Management

Options
  • 22-11-2011 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm doing a degree in another college, nothing to do with Sports and Exercise management though, but I've found recently, and been advised by others that I'm probably in the wrong degree - through poor research on my on part, and other issues which I knew would be a problem.

Basically, I'm giving serious consideration to applying to this course through the CAO to begin next September.

If people in the course, or people who know of it could just give me some advice on it I'd be grateful. A few issues I was wondering about was,

Timetables
    Job opportunities
    Work experience during the course
    How 'fit' do you need to be

and any other details would be great too, like the social side of it and all that. Really appreciate any help there is to be had....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭shygal

its very hard to find info on this course online asking students directly is probably your best bet!!
    im in second year of this course and i love it
    similar to you i was doing arts in nuim and dropped out.i reapplied to the cao and got Sport and exercise mgmt and they were the best decisions i ever made!!!:D

first year is great,small classes,great lecturers,12-13 hour week lectures,no tutorials....
    timetable in 1st year i had both wednesdays and fridays off

2nd year the workload increases and at the end of 2nd year you go on work placement in places your interested in.ucd try their best to get you in the areas you want to work.Like i like gaelic and hopefully gonna spend the summer working with the gaa summer camps
    one of the strengths of this course is this work placement,great for getting jobs in the future with experience under your belt

you dont have to be fit at all,you could be a fattie for all they care though it defo helps to have a good interest in sport

this course can lead you into many areas of sport,coaching,pe teaching,leisure mgmt,masters etc

absolutely any questions at all please pm me,id love to help;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Thanks for the info mate! Yeah, I had it as my third choice in my CAO, and I think the points cut off for last year was 400 or 405 and I'm dead stuck on 400 from my Leaving. Emailed the sports office today and they said they had a rounded figure of 40 max intake a year, but if demand was substantial, they had the option to increase it to as much as 50, but they said they never had been over-demanded, which kind of encouraged me to look further into it.

And, as broad as it may sound, what would you cover in lectures. I know there's some info on the site about it, but maybe in finer detail, one or two of the first year topics?

And another thing, something seriously lacking in my current course... the banter/craic in the year between students? Male/female ratio?

I'll drop you a PM if anything else springs to mind, cheers! :)

Still have options to consider because I'm being told that if I was to leave my current course, and join another, I'd have to pay the economic fees rather than the general one (around 2k) but I've to look into that too. Ha...

Advertisement