Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clr. Darren Scully - Racist comments?

Options
  • 22-11-2011 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1122/scullyd.html

I think he is quite entitled to this view. It can be applied to any member of society. If he is intimidated by dealing with a particular person or group of people, I don't see the problem. A lot of black people are far too prone to playing the race card, just like the travelling community. Where do we draw the line on racism?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭The Crab

DWCommuter wrote: »

I think he is quite entitled to this view. It can be applied to any member of society. If he is intimidated by dealing with a particular person or group of people, I don't see the problem. A lot of black people are far too prone to playing the race card, just like the travelling community. Where do we draw the line on racism?

So because he had a bad experience with one or two members of a particular group that means all that group is bad??? Come on, little children in a National School playground have a more advanced logic than that.

Scully is a disgrace. He is in a position, his life choice, where he is expected to represent the entire community. If he chooses not to do so then he should remove himself from office. His comments generalise against a whole group of people, not just one or two bad elements. Every group, including Irish people, has unsavoury characters. To say that you don't respect a whole group because of those few individuals is (a)ignorant and (b)more importantly dangerous.

There was an Austrian guy I believe who was in power in Germany more than half a century ago who said similar things against the Jewish community I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

He's entitled to his opinion but it still makes him a racist f*cker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The Crab wrote: »
    So because he had a bad experience with one or two members of a particular group

I gathered from what he said that it was more than one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

By the same logic, If I get aggressive treatment by an irish person, I'm allowed to refuse work from 90% of my customers?

This of course is stupid to associate the aggression with the nationality/skin colour of the person.

If he had a crime commuted against him by an individual, he should report it to the police, not make broad generalizations.

Perhaps most of the black people he met in the past 7 years got aggressive because his apparent racist attitude. if this is the case, I say fair play to 'em.

If the majority of one grouping is aggressive, do you pretend they're not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭The Crab

n97 mini wrote: »
    I gathered from what he said that it was more than one or two.

So that means x 100s of millions of people are automatically bad???

Last May something very unpleasant happened to me in an Italian city I regularly travel to. Does that mean that that event should outweigh all the offers of kindness/help that I have received from Italians, particularly from that city? Does that mean I should forget all the very decent things people from that city, and from Italy in general have done for me over my life and my both here at home and whilst I've been on trips there? Does it signify that I should forget about all the friendly people I've met over there, and also here?

No, of course not. It means I was unfortunate to meet three d***heads in one place at the wrong time. And it would be letting them win if I judged their entire city/country by their behaviour. Perhaps Scully doesn't have the intelligence to judge situations in the same vein.

Or perhaps, as another poster said. His aggressively racist attitude has brought trouble to his door and he uses it to serve his small-minded opinions. Either way, he's a fascist and should not be representing anyone if he feels he has the power to choose who to and who not to represent.

So that means x 100s of millions of people are automatically bad???
    No-one said they were. Calm down.
    RTE News wrote:
    However, he insisted that he made his decision based on the experiences that he has had "with every single case over seven years".

That sounds like it was more than "one or two", as you said.

Scully's ill-judged comments are one thing, but now there is a whole pile of people coming out of the woodwork making idiotic counter comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Evita

RESIGN NOW!
    I am so glad Clem Ryan wiped the floor with Darren Scully. His comments are racist and disgusting. Imagine how you'd feel if you were living in another country and someone said 'No, I refuse to deal with Irish people' because he had a bad experience. What a load of bull.
    People putting up pics of Naas Town Council which link to KKK sites. Nice one, Darren. You've dragged Naas down with you and your disgusting comments.
    Naas born and bred and you do not represent me either, Darren. I don't want you as mayor of this town. Go now please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

What's with the question mark in the thread title? It is a racist comment. There's no disputing that. What he should have said is that he will not deal with aggressive people full stop. Colour of skin or nationality is irrelevant. He's not fit to be mayor of Naas or any town or even public representative for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

He's right! absolutely entitled to his opinion. Shame he's from Naas, they're all inbreds out there. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Guys, keep the thread within the forum charter.

It's a hot button issue, but it doesn't mean it can't be discussed like adults..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

He's entitled to his opinion, however if he isn't prepared to represent an entire segment of the public based on their skin colour then he should not be a public representative, plain and simple. On the Clem Ryan interview earlier (which was an excellent interview) he seemed to think that he, as a councillor, has the right to pick and choose which residents of Naas he should represent. Such a basic misunderstanding of his role renders him completely unsuitable to be a Mayor or Town Councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

you do not criticse blacks ever. they are above criticism and they use this to full advantage.
    Nigerians are considered lazy and corrupt and that would be the opinion among black Africans.
    If blacks are rude and demanding then the Irish should put up with it?
    personally I believe the PC brigade which have allowed this situation will suffer a backlash.

So because he had a bad experience with one or two members of a particular group that means all that group is bad??? Come on, little children in a National School playground have a more advanced logic than that.

Scully is a disgrace. He is in a position, his life choice, where he is expected to represent the entire community. If he chooses not to do so then he should remove himself from office. His comments generalise against a whole group of people, not just one or two bad elements. Every group, including Irish people, has unsavoury characters. To say that you don't respect a whole group because of those few individuals is (a)ignorant and (b)more importantly dangerous.

There was an Austrian guy I believe who was in power in Germany more than half a century ago who said similar things against the Jewish community I believe.

possibly he had more than one or two bad experiences but he will have to apologise or be destroyed. his own party have no spine.

I myself have a lot of dealings with blacks and I find black south African and find most blacks to be lovely people, but Nigerians to be demanding and rude.

i have had negative experiences of the Irish abroad abroad and cannot condemn everyone but am aware that there can be problems. If that makes one racist then so be it.

Evita wrote: »
    RESIGN NOW!
    I am so glad Clem Ryan wiped the floor with Darren Scully. His comments are racist and disgusting. Imagine how you'd feel if you were living in another country and someone said 'No, I refuse to deal with Irish people' because he had a bad experience. What a load of bull.
    People putting up pics of Naas Town Council which link to KKK sites. Nice one, Darren. You've dragged Naas down with you and your disgusting comments.
    Naas born and bred and you do not represent me either, Darren. I don't want you as mayor of this town. Go now please.

I could understand why people have a probelm with Irish people abroad. they have a habit of having the craic, wrecking their accomodation and general disorderly behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

He is working at the coal face, no pun intended, and has gone out his way to represent people of all races and I do give him respect for his efforts. He obviously has had major hassles from a particular grouping of people and probably does from many others as well including those from our own country. He is expressing his experiences and despite doing the best he can he is near breaking point and can't hold back his views much longer. Most of us don't work at the same level as public councillors or know what it's like when dealing solely with people who derive most of their income from the welfare system. The trouble is that it's often those who shout loudest that get most of what is going leaving the quieter at the back of the queue. It is very easy for those not so involved as people like him to make generalisations and say he is a racist or words to that effect. I know he is a public representative and you would expect him to be more PC but he is still human and has his limitations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cheerleader

I support Darren and if you read his comments in context the man is right.
    the fact that he now has to resign just proves the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

How does the fact that he has resigned prove that he's right?

You should listen to the interview on the KFM site.This was a man who did not understand the nature of his role or what his duties were.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    How does the fact that he has resigned prove that he's right?

You should listen to the interview on the KFM site.This was a man who did not understand the nature of his role or what his duties were.

I did and to Niall Boylan on 4fm last night aswell,
    The mas was being abused because he was treating people equally,

because it did not suit some to be treated equally in this case..
    That is the issue.

he sounded rational enough, but his comments have been blown out of propotion. as usual the media interviewed a few blacks who were concerned about the rise in racism.
    blacks are not treated as normal people which is a pity. people are afraid of them as they might be labelled racist. that is wrong. he is complaining about people, it does not matter what skin colour they are, who make demands that are unreasonable and then become aggressive if they do not get what.

• Advertisement

I did and to Niall Boylan on 4fm last night aswell,
    The mas was being abused because he was treating people equally,

because it did not suit some to be treated equally in this case..
    That is the issue.

some are more equal than others. if a black clicks his fingers you come running. otherwise you are a racist.
    as a public representative he should have been more diplomatic. it is interesting that the country is judging this man on one sentence he said. we did not hear the whole interview.

Problem is in the main we are seen as becoming racist because we are sick to death of spongers regardless of colour or creed.

What Darren Scully said if anyone bothered to listen to the man..
    would know, is that he is being abused and shouted at by Black Africans who will not follow protocol.
    He has had enough of their foul treatment,
    So he now has to resign his position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

To assist the debate, here is the interview. Best to listen to it before you express an opinion.

http://www.kfmradio.com/kfm-podcasting/kildare-today-podcasts.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

The politically correct brigade are alive and kicking and talking utter rubbish. Like the last poster said, read his comments. It's no wonder this country is in the crux it finds itself. Hope to hell these agressive and arrogant people move in beside the PC brigade.
    Sorry Mr Mayor that your people didn't come out in their thousands to back you, I do and so do the majority of people in this country of ours. This is Ireland and i'm proud to be part of it and live by its rules and regulations. I'd do the same if I was in someone elses country. How dare some idiot to even try to call me racist, or for that matter Mayor Scully.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Can people on here stop following in the footsteps of Darren Scully by calling them all "Blacks" and "Black Africans"? This was the sweeping generalisation that has led to this controversy?

Africa is made up of many nations and cultures. I too have found a lot of Nigerian people to be aggressive and rude but the same can not be said of South Africans or indeed people from Senegal, Ghana, Angola and Mozambique that I have had the pleasure of meeting. By the way I don't think Scully is a racist but he could of worded it a lot better. Here's some music from the legend that is Fela Kuti to lighten the mood.. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRUQjqbg5go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

What's with the question mark in the thread title? It is a racist comment. There's no disputing that. What he should have said is that he will not deal with aggressive people full stop. Colour of skin or nationality is irrelevant. He's not fit to be mayor of Naas or any town or even public representative for that matter.

The question mark in the thread title represents peoples right to debate it here on this forum. Of course Clr Scully has now resigned and apologised, but we all know that he had no choice. (politically) We can still debate it and even beyond the core issue of racism. There is the whole issue of WHY he made this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

headmaster wrote: »
    This is Ireland and i'm proud to be part of it and live by its rules and regulations. I'd do the same if I was in someone elses country. .

Does that include the rule against discriminating against people on the basis of their rrace/nationality/ethnicity?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

I'm very happy to see a reasoned/calm debate instead of the bullsiht thread in AH that's been closed, the worst from both sides, maybe It's because you actual come from the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

Could the cllr have made his point without sounding racist?

I really don't think the guy is a racist, definitely stupid though.

There is a thin line between bravery and stupidity...

• Advertisement

headmaster wrote: »
    The politically correct brigade are alive and kicking and talking utter rubbish. Like the last poster said, read his comments. It's no wonder this country is in the crux it finds itself. Hope to hell these agressive and arrogant people move in beside the PC brigade.
    Sorry Mr Mayor that your people didn't come out in their thousands to back you, I do and so do the majority of people in this country of ours. This is Ireland and i'm proud to be part of it and live by its rules and regulations. I'd do the same if I was in someone elses country. How dare some idiot to even try to call me racist, or for that matter Mayor Scully.

nobody dares come out and support him. imagine you said that to some rte hack and it was aired on national tv. you would be labelled a racist and your job could be at risk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement