Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clr. Darren Scully - Racist comments?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Will_H wrote: »
    On a serious note, is Scully a racist? Probably not.

No, he is. He won't deal with black africans! Does he need to set up a lynch mob and burn crosses to be "proper racist"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Scully is, to put it mildly, an ignorant, nasty lout. No one forced him to seek election to public office. He may say he did so because he wished to serve the public, and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and believe that, but the cash emoluments and other tangible rewards undoubtedly also figured in his calculations.

Once he became a public representative, he had a duty to represent every constituent who approached him. Naturally, he also had a right, as has everyone, to refuse to deal with persons who behave in a manner that is generally unacceptable - rudely, aggressively or insultingly - but that decision must always apply to the individuals in question. And I have no doubt that there are such individuals among virtually every group on the planet.

To extrapolate it to include even one member of a particular ethnic, religious or language group whom he has not yet met and knows nothing about is racism. End of story. By deciding that he will refuse his services as a public representative to a person solely because that person has a particular skin colour is a violation of that person's human rights.

Just imagine, for example, that he had had unpleasant experiences with one or several Jews or Protestants or, for that matter, big thick bogmen from Coill Dubh or a BUFFALO* like me, whom he found pushy, bossy, obnoxious, and then announced publicly that he would no longer deal with Jews, or Protestants or people from Coill Dubh or BUFFALOs ...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Even he in his terminal thickness must know that he would be swatted down mighty fast if he came out with some such statement, but the sad reality is that casual racism directed against groups less able to defend themselves has reached sickening proportions in Ireland.:mad:

That is why I hope an example will be made of Scully. His party and colleagues should make it clear to him that there is no place for him - not only a racist, but also a loose cannon, who has greatly embarrassed the Taoiseach and also our country's image - in the Fine Gael (or any other decent) party and that, since he has so amply demonstrated his unsuitability to hold any public office, he should resign from Naas Town Council and Kildare County Council as well.:(

* BUFFALO (big ugly fcuker from around Laois-Offaly)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

sandra06 wrote: »
    i dont believe this guy is a racist ,he made a stupid comment that i say he regrets now,i do believe that a lot of people use the race card to there advantage to get what they want ,ie housing ,if you looked at primetime tonight mostly all the homeless on our streets are irish ,and they dont seem to be able to be homed in there own country ,but if you are from a different country you get somewhere to live ,how is that right ? i believe everyone is the same. where i work 99%of foreigners are lovely but like any race there some bad ones , .i lived in birmigham for yrs and on my road there was every nationaty and they were all thieves ,i believe most irish people feel the same way about foreigner taking advance of the irish system it annoy them that the system that was set up for us is been taken advantage of it seems to be a lot harder for irish people to get what they need but foreigner are handed it incase the play the racist card please feel free to correct me if i wrong .:rolleyes:
    You were a foreigner on that road, were you a thief? Would it be ok for us to assume you were based on the fact that "all foreigners on that road were thieves"....

You can't generalise by colour, Scully threw his net far too wide.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    But I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that he has experienced the complete refusal of some black africans to accept protocol and their reliance on the racism excuse.

Highlighted the important word. You can't discriminate against an entire group of people who happen to be from the same continent and of the same skin colour based on the actions of a small few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fifisam

Darren is entitled to his opinion and in my view was honest if we had a few more honest polititions out there maybe we would have a decent government. In my view this is what everybody is thinking, We are fed up. Can i ask how many Irish emmigrants get housing or free handouts in America, Australia or Europe this is what the government needs to change, if this was done there would be little or no racism with the irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

fifisam wrote: »
    Darren is entitled to his opinion and in my view was honest if we had a few more honest polititions out there maybe we would have a decent government. In my view this is what everybody is thinking, We are fed up. Can i ask how many Irish emmigrants get housing or free handouts in America, Australia or Europe this is what the government needs to change, if this was done there would be little or no racism with the irish people.

Well you are wrong because not everybody thinks like that.I don't and plenty of others don't either.And if a person comes to this country legally,works and pays their taxes they are entitled to the same services as anyone else.By the way,Irish emigrants do receive services from foreign governments when they go overseas,obviously it varies from country to country.

Get a grip, He was elected because he represents the young people of kildare he speaks his mind and tells the truth if we had honest politics over the years maybe our country wouldnt be fu.... like the way it is. Its because of our lying twisted government who might i add destroyed our country. If Our government had put in place what Australia America and Europe have done ( which is no handouts ) maybe we wouldnt have so many emmigrants signing on the live register today whom i The taxpayer is paying for!!!!

Its not.

Get a grip, He was elected because he represents the young people of kildare he speaks his mind and tells the truth if we had honest politics over the years maybe our country wouldnt be fu.... like the way it is. Its because of our lying twisted government who might i add destroyed our country. If Our government had put in place what Australia America and Europe have done ( which is no handouts ) maybe we wouldnt have so many emmigrants signing on the live register today whom i The taxpayer is paying for!!!!

Learn how the live register works.

Most of our Irish emmigrant who have left this country in the last 2-3 years have went to Australia America and Canada where might i add there is no social welfare no handouts you dont work you have no money. Yes i agree if they have worked in this country they are entitled like everyone else but the majority do not!!!!!

• Advertisement

Most of our Irish emmigrant who have left this country in the last 2-3 years have went to Australia America and Canada where might i add there is no social welfare no handouts you dont work you have no money. Yes i agree if they have worked in this country they are entitled like everyone else but the majority do not!!!!!

Link to statistics please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

You don't get to selectively do your job based on personal prejudices.

It's this guy's job to represent the public, and he's come out and said he'll refuse to deal with a certain ethnic group. If I went into a coffee shop and was told "Sorry, I don't serve Irish, let me get someone else to serve you", I'd be rightly annoyed, and rightly so.

That this guy remains a public representative who has stated he'll disenfranchise people he's never met based on race, is a disgrace. However, after reading some of the comments here, I suppose he's no better than these folks deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

A lot of the time it's because they're not allowed. In fact, I know of several people who are highly qualified and aren't able to work.

Hey, want to be a solicitor or barrister? Or a mentessori teacher? Well tough, you need fluent Irish.

Ah yes, he doesn't represent people over 30. :rolleyes:

If "honest politics" is racial segregation, you're welcome to them.

zuroph wrote: »
    Its not.

Unbelievable the way so many people are telling themselves this "he's saying what we're all thinking" cráp.

Oh Whatever, Well i better keep working here so that i can keep all those people in the comforts that they are used to!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

You were a foreigner on that road, were you a thief? Would it be ok for us to assume you were based on the fact that "all foreigners on that road were thieves"....

You can't generalise by colour, Scully threw his net far too wide.
    if you read my post properly you would have noticed what i was trying to say is that there is a certain amount of people in every race that are thieves irish included ,a neighbor of mine sent his kids to my house to rob the front wall took the kids weeks ,and then he rebuilt the wall at his house he was english ,the asian guy across the road robbed his own fathers corner shop ,the irish girl next door robbed the other irish couple beside me when they were on holiday ,believe it or not i lived in worse areas ,there is bad people in every race but no one can say a certain race are all bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

With all due respect I really don't think this thread will benefit from being hi-jacked by boardsies that were so vocal in the now locked After Hours thread. There's real potential for a serious meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

It's a pity that Ireland never adopted a visa system similar to Australia. Work hard enough and get sponsored to stay here or get out after the year instead of leeching of the welfare system in this country, it's no wonder many have issues

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

However I would not class him as a racist

check the definition of what a racist is please

thats like saying someone who rapes isnt a rapist

Darren was naive in what he said...it was typical Homer Simpson syndrome where he said out loud what was going on in his head

Any decision he made not to say he wouldnt represent certain individuals it should be on a case by case basis and not generalise

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    check the definition of what a racist is please

thats like saying someone who rapes isnt a rapist

Darren was naive in what he said...it was typical Homer Simpson syndrome where he said out loud what was going on in his head

Any decision he made not to say he wouldnt represent certain individuals it should be on a case by case basis and not generalise

So saying something racist once makes you a racist. Hung drawn and quatered. Does admiring a another person eventhough you are married make you an adulterer. As I said in my OP, where do we draw the line? If we are going to be branded that easily and quickly then I fear we are heading down a bad route. Darren Scullys comments may be deemed racist, but that does not make him an actual racist. This is pure witch hunt territory. There is no separation of the comments from the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SSSM

In my opinion Darren Scully is NOT a racist, people have an awful habit of judging people before knowing the full scenario.

Darren did however do two things wrong:

1) He should not generalise by using the terminology that did "All bl*ck Africans" - as mentioned in previous posts, cultures and people differentiate dramatically within the African continent and it was very wrong of him to generalise like that.

2) Being in the position that he was in as Mayor of Naas - he had made a commitment to represent ALL the residents of Naas, therefore making a comment like he did has gone against all he stood for.

I think it is very unfair to call Mr. Scully a racist however, he made a very stupid comment and did not think things through correctly before making it. Do we know the full story? What drove him to make such a comment?

I think we should all hold back until we know the full story and not be so quick to judge. Darren made a terrible mistake, a highly stupid mistake but he is no racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Does admiring a another person eventhough you are married make you an adulterer.
    Obviously not because you are not committing adultery by admiring another person :rolleyes:

Definitions

rac·ist
    noun
    a person who believes in racism

rac·ism
    noun
    intolerance of another race

Reference: http://dictionary.reference.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Naas Person

I live in Naas, I've met Darren and I still do not know who he represents. Like most politicians when you're finished interacting with them you're left with the feeling their main concern is themselves. Again I would suggest delve deeper and examine local elected representatives record of delivery. What do they really do ?? Collect their €20k approx for town council and another wedge for county council. Easy to resign Mayor role but less inclined to resign the other two positions as that would mean a loss of a good part time job and it's associated income.

So saying something racist once makes you a racist. Hung drawn and quatered. Does admiring a another person eventhough you are married make you an adulterer. As I said in my OP, where do we draw the line? If we are going to be branded that easily and quickly then I fear we are heading down a bad route. Darren Scullys comments may be deemed racist, but that does not make him an actual racist. This is pure witch hunt territory. There is no separation of the comments from the person.

He didn't just say something once. He is refusing to deal with or represent black africans! He's refusing to represent people because of colour. If you fail to see how that's racist, there's no hope for you.

With all due respect I really don't think this thread will benefit from being hi-jacked by boardsies that were so vocal in the now locked After Hours thread. There's real potential for a serious meltdown.

translation "I'd prefer to discuss this only with people who share my viewpoint"

Similar to what got Scully into such hot water ;)

You can't say you wont represent any black africans. thats too wide a net. White europeans is a similar number, would you like to be discriminated against in a country because some polish football fans once smashed the place up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SSSM

translation "I'd prefer to discuss this only with people who share my viewpoint"

Similar to what got Scully into such hot water ;)

You can't say you wont represent any black africans. thats too wide a net. White europeans is a similar number, would you like to be discriminated against in a country because some polish football fans once smashed the place up?

Exactly - the net is way too wide. However do you think if he was more specific and stated he wouldn't represent any "insert nationality here" would he still be in trouble? Perhaps not as much but trouble all the same surely?

SSSM wrote: »
    Exactly - the net is way too wide. However do you think if he was more specific and stated he wouldn't represent any "insert nationality here" would he still be in trouble? Perhaps not as much but trouble all the same surely?

It should be on a case by case basis. If he said for example, that he wouldnt deal with rude people, that would be fine.
    I regularily get abused by a certain profession in my line of work, as it generally my job to point out to end clients where this person has made an error in fitting. I've been threatened with physical harm, legal threats, the works. I dont decide i'm no longer dealing with that profession, I take it case by case, and stop dealing with someone as soon as they become abusive. I explain why I'm stopping and leave it at that. They usually lose the plot and say they'll get me fired, but guess what, that complaint never comes through to head office. Eventually, people get the message, and find a way to work together.
    What Scully was experiencing was a difference in culture and how stuff gets done where those people come from. It can be quite offputting and rude, but it doesnt take long to find a way to demand respect, and if they're getting kicked out or ignored, and really need something, you can be guaranteed they'll come back with a different approach.

to just say, "I wont help black africans" shows a shocking ignorance about the world at large. Africa is a MASSIVE place. Its not just "not kildare". Its a CONTINENT. as I said above, would you like if you were refused service somewhere because some white polish once smashed the place up?

Paparazzo wrote: »
    He didn't just say something once. He is refusing to deal with or represent black africans! He's refusing to represent people because of colour. If you fail to see how that's racist, there's no hope for you.

Ah but you forget that I have no moral problem with what he did. That does not mean there is no hope for me. Maybe I'm just like Clr Scully. In your eyes I may be a racist too? That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. But its a witch hunt none the less. A certain few posters will settle for nothing else bar Darren Scully being branded a racist through and through. I doubt any of them live in Naas, know Clr Scully in any capacity or are familiar with social issues in the town. For you it is cut and dried based on definitions.

• Advertisement

Wrong.

I started the thread here while you were wearing out your fingers in After Hours. It was started so local people could talk about it.

You are entitled to your opinion, but just like in the locked thread in AH, you can't just express it and be done. You must target everyone who disagrees with you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement