Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clr. Darren Scully - Racist comments?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Obviously not because you are not committing adultery by admiring another person :rolleyes:

Definitions

rac·ist
    noun
    a person who believes in racism

rac·ism
    noun
    intolerance of another race

Reference: http://dictionary.reference.com/

Prove that Darren Scully believes in Racism thereby making him a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Ah but you forget that I have no moral problem with what he did. That does not mean there is no hope for me. Maybe I'm just like Clr Scully. In your eyes I may be a racist too? That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. But its a witch hunt none the less. A certain few posters will settle for nothing else bar Darren Scully being branded a racist through and through. I doubt any of them live in Naas, know Clr Scully in any capacity or are familiar with social issues in the town. For you it is cut and dried based on definitions.

What i wanted was him to not be a public representative. he stepped down from his ceremonial role, but is still a councillor. a councillor who refuses to deal with some of his constituents because of their skin colour. he actually said on KFM "Do I not have a right to choose who I represent?" NO YOU DON'T DARREN! Someone who doesnt understand how democracy works should not be in such a position, its embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

He should have known better...
    for the record, I live in Naas (16yrs), a couple of mins walk from Clr Scullys house and he has been in my house on a number of occasions dealing with issues for the local schools

Prove that Darren Scully believes in Racism thereby making him a racist.
    RACISM
    The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
    Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

He excludes ALL members of the race due to the actions of a certain few.
    racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

In all seriousness, surely the important question here is whether an elected representative is entitled to refuse to represent an entire group of people based on their skin colour and ethnic origin? I would say,absolutely not. He was elected to do a job, he gets allowances etc, and if he doesn't like the job, he could always resign. Now if Darren Scully had said "I refuse to deal with people who are rude to me" then he would have a very good point. But he didn't say that. Furthermore, there is no witch hunt here, what he said is in the public domain and he repeated himself a number of times on the radio.

I'm not originally from Naas, but it is the town I've chosen to make my home in and I genuinely love it here. Likewise I haven't met Cllr.Scully. His comments were racist however - if they weren't then the word racist has no meaning any more. Whether or not he is intrinsically racist I can't say and it is of secondary importance in this case. But his comments and views certainly are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

Perhaps this is a silly question, but presumably African immigrants don't have a vote so didn't elect this guy (meaning he doesn't represent them in any event)?

Way too much PC stuff being spouted on threads like this about the positive contribution African immigrants are making to this country? Why would someone in sub Saharan Africa wake up one day and decide to come to Ireland? Because of the weather? They're here to milk the social welfare system and hoodwink our pinko liberal establishment. They came here to have children because until recently there were ridiculous loopholes in our citizenship system that don't exist elsewhere. There aren't even direct flights from Africa to Ireland!

Anyone who points this out is branded a Nazi and a racist by the pinko liberal media establishment.

Was Scully politically naive? Absolutely.

Was he right? Absolutely. I've yet to meet an immigrant from sub Saharan Africa who wasn't here purely to take the p.ss.

Perhaps this is a silly question, but presumably African immigrants don't have a vote so didn't elect this guy (meaning he doesn't represent them in any event)?

Way too much PC stuff being spouted on threads like this about the positive contribution African immigrants are making to this country? Why would someone in sub Saharan Africa wake up one day and decide to come to Ireland? Because of the weather? They're here to milk the social welfare system and hoodwink our pinko liberal establishment. They came here to have children because until recently there were ridiculous loopholes in our citizenship system that don't exist elsewhere. There aren't even direct flights from Africa to Ireland!

Anyone who points this out is branded a Nazi and a racist by the pinko liberal media establishment.

Was Scully politically naive? Absolutely.

Was he right? Absolutely. I've yet to meet an immigrant from sub Saharan Africa who wasn't here purely to take the p.ss.

Actually non-EU residents can vote in local elections here.And many people of African origin would be citizens. And in my experience (I worked in the area of immigration),the reason people from sub-Saharan Africa came here in the last 10 years was to work - you can't just roll up and sign on the dole you know.People the world over migrate, mainly for workAs for using the asylum laws as a means of entry,don't think you'd do any differently if the shoe was on the other foot.The numbers arriving have dropped dramatically since the Irish economy hit the wall so they can't just be coming to claim social welfare!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

All this has been hashed out on other (more appropriate) forums on the site, to the point of infinity. It's not a discussion for here, so take it to the appropriate place should you want to have at that dead horse. Keep the topic to Cllr Scully's remarks, everyone. This isn't a discussion of immigration policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Paparazzo wrote: »
    No, he is. He won't deal with black africans! Does he need to set up a lynch mob and burn crosses to be "proper racist"?

apparently it is racist to use the term black. its hard to keep up with the PC world, but I believe the correct term is ...

maybe Mary Harney should have resigned when she said we would all have to work like blacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

zuroph wrote: »
    What i wanted was him to not be a public representative. he stepped down from his ceremonial role, but is still a councillor. a councillor who refuses to deal with some of his constituents because of their skin colour. he actually said on KFM "Do I not have a right to choose who I represent?" NO YOU DON'T DARREN! Someone who doesnt understand how democracy works should not be in such a position, its embarrassing.

its a very idealistic stance to take. If you dealt with Nigerians on a daily basis you might have a different outlook.
    he could have phrased it better, but his grievance resounds with problems a lot of people have.

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    No, he is. He won't deal with black africans! Does he need to set up a lynch mob and burn crosses to be "proper racist"?

apparently it is racist to use the term black. its hard to keep up with the PC world, but I believe the correct term is ...

maybe Mary Harney should have resigned when she said we would all have to work like blacks?

Not sure what you mean by the PC world - though there is one outside Naas.And it was Mary O'Rourke who said that,not Mary Harney.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    its a very idealistic stance to take. If you dealt with Nigerians on a daily basis you might have a different outlook.
    he could have phrased it better, but his grievance resounds with problems a lot of people have.

yes, but there's 55 other African countries. 1 billion people live in africa, a high number of them black, it accounts for about 14.72% of the world's human population.

So Scully decided to exclude all of them, based on a few, what you're assuming, nigerians. You simply cant do that. As I've said time and time again, it'd be like you being refused help in a foreign country because some polish white football fans once ran amok there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Everyone is racist so what's the problem?

At a very young age, everyone is taught that their nation is better than their neighbours. Their religion is better than other religions. Their local sports team is better than any other team. And then we wonder why children are racist too.

In fact, everyone is a bigot whether it is against race, sports, religion, politics, education, social class, or the million or so other ways people differentiate between themselves. Furthermore, the level of bigotry varies greatly for each and every person for each differentiation. However, not everyone is willing to admit it.

everyone is different yes, but you cant simply say "I'm not dealing with blacks." as a public representative of all the people, you just cant. the man is an idiot, he asked did he not have a choice in who he represented. no you dont. public office is for all the people, regardless of personal (misguided) opinions.

everyone is different yes, but you cant simply say "I'm not dealing with blacks." as a public representative of all the people, you just cant. the man is an idiot, he asked did he not have a choice in who he represented. no you dont. public office is for all the people, regardless of personal (misguided) opinions.

I guess he is very sorry how he worded his public complaint and would love to have a 2nd chance but like sport you only get one shot at the ball. If he had a 2nd chance he'd probably say that there's a certain group of people who give him way too much hassle and he'd prefer to stay clear of them. He could mention who they are and also cover himself by saying he has no intention of tarring them all with the same brush and it's only his experience ( this bit he already said ). He actually said "african blacks"

"the man is an idiot" - this is actually an extremely racist remark, it is saying your intelligence is far superior to the man.

Joe Public wrote: »
    "the man is an idiot" - this is actually an extremely racist remark, it is saying your intelligence is far superior to the man.

its nothing even remotely like racism. If I said I'm smarter than all whites, or all asians, or all blacks, then its racism. I called the man an idiot, because he failed to understand the very basics of democracy, something that he considers his career. He actually thought he had the right to pick and choose who he represents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

"A taxi driver who was assaulted in Dublin on Monday night has died.

The 41-year-old Nigerian man, who was attacked on Pearse St., was pronounced dead in hospital this afternoon.

Meanwhile, a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions relating to a man who was yesterday released without charge over the incident.

"
    I wonder whether this attack was race related, it was mentioned earlier in the thread. Did Darren just pick a bad week to start 'tea party' type right wing politics? Personally, I think we're going to see more of this as the ratchet tightens, this recession will make arseholes of us all.

its nothing even remotely like racism. If I said I'm smarter than all whites, or all asians, or all blacks, then its racism. I called the man an idiot, because he failed to understand the very basics of democracy, something that he considers his career. He actually thought he had the right to pick and choose who he represents.

I've often heard of certain groups of people being referred to as being idiots so just because you used it as a singular doesn't make it any less racist. If you call someone a ****** is that racist? Teenagers can be called many things for e.g. "teenage hooligans" meaning if you call a teenager a hooligan it can be termed as a racist comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

The 41-year-old Nigerian man, who was attacked on Pearse St., was pronounced dead in hospital this afternoon.

Meanwhile, a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions relating to a man who was yesterday released without charge over the incident."

I wonder whether this attack was race related, it was mentioned earlier in the thread. Did Darren just pick a bad week to start 'tea party' type right wing politics?
    Personally, I think we're going to see more of this as the ratchet tightens, this recession will make arseholes of us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

njburke wrote: »

Meanwhile, a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions relating to a man who was yesterday released without charge over the incident.

"
    I wonder whether this attack was race related, it was mentioned earlier in the thread. Did Darren just pick a bad week to start 'tea party' type right wing politics? Personally, I think we're going to see more of this as the ratchet tightens, this recession will make arseholes of us all.

And a black teenage girl was apparently raped in Athlone, four teenagers were present. According to Clr Scully's understanding of politics her case or the driver's case should not be "dealt with", because some people of the same colour are obnoxious or scummy.

• Advertisement

mhge wrote: »
    And a black teenage girl was apparently raped in Athlone, four teenagers were present. According to Clr Scully's understanding of politics her case or the driver's case should not be "dealt with", because some people of the same colour are obnoxious or scummy.

Woefully out of intelligent context and totally dependent on shock value. It adds nothing to the debate here.

njburke wrote: »

Meanwhile, a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions relating to a man who was yesterday released without charge over the incident."

I wonder whether this attack was race related, it was mentioned earlier in the thread. Did Darren just pick a bad week to start 'tea party' type right wing politics?
    Personally, I think we're going to see more of this as the ratchet tightens, this recession will make arseholes of us all.

Massive generalisation and perhaps an attempt to derail the thread. The death of a Nigerian Taxi driver in so far unexplained circumstances can be in no way linked to the current topic.

Joe Public wrote: »
    I've often heard of certain groups of people being referred to as being idiots so just because you used it as a singular doesn't make it any less racist. If you call someone a ****** is that racist? Teenagers can be called many things for e.g. "teenage hooligans" meaning if you call a teenager a hooligan it can be termed as a racist comment.

You have no idea what "race" is, do you? This is so ridiculous, you think calling someone an idiot is a racial slur?! REALLY?!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

mhge wrote: »
    o my god you are foolish, there is crime happening everywhere all the time not only to foreign people i dont know if the taxi driver case is racist and i hope the person who done it is caught and banged up for a long time and untill the guards know who done it it cannot be called a racist attact .and for the poor teenage girl in athlone who was raped she could have been any colour and been raped, this type of crime is going on everywhere and the people who do it are sick and evil ,there have been cases of rape done to irish woman and men that has been done by coloured people is this not also racist by your standards , this thread is not about crime or who done it ,its about clr scully saying he found it hard to deal with certain people looking for housing etc .not what crimes are done i sure clr scully would be appaled by hearing any crimes done against any race or colour as most people are ,your just trying to make a bad comment worse

sandra06 wrote: »
    ,its about clr scully saying he found it hard to deal with certain people looking for housing etc

That's not all he said, he said he wouldnt deal with ANY black africans from now on, and has held that position for a number of years already. Very different to suggesting he found it hard to deal with certain people, he point blank refused to deal with any black africans, regardless of having never met them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

A taxi driver who was assaulted in Dublin on Monday night has died. the 41-year-old Nigerian man, who was attacked on Pearse St., was pronounced dead in hospital this afternoon. Meanwhile, a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions relating to a man who was yesterday released without charge over the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

That's not all he said, he said he wouldnt deal with ANY black africans from now on, and has held that position for a number of years already. Very different to suggesting he found it hard to deal with certain people, he point blank refused to deal with any black africans, regardless of having never met them.
    i say he has shut the gate after the horse has bolted disease ,it was a very bad comment to make ,but we all have said things to people which we have reggeted after ,in my opionon this comment does not make him a racist ,,but a fool with a big mouth that he also needs to think before he talks and get on with the job he was paid to do helping all people no mather what race they are or where there from .having said all that he needs to keep his opionon to himself and not be upsetting people ,it just seems to me that people are jumping on the bandwagon with this and blowing it out of all propertion this is a comment by only one man

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ojola

Our man Scully is not known for political correctness. In 2008, Scully criticised Irish Travellers for their "monstrous and inappropriate shrines" in graveyards.The same year he accused young women of getting pregnant to increase their chances of getting local authority housing and claimed teenagers were seeking "advice on how to get pregnant" His recent outburst on live radio which has been termed "political suicide" by some in broadcasting and political circles show the depth of politician he is.
    Despite his experience professionally and politically he should have known better than to tar everyone with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ojola

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1122/scullyd.html

I think he is quite entitled to this view. It can be applied to any member of society. If he is intimidated by dealing with a particular person or group of people, I don't see the problem. A lot of black people are far too prone to playing the race card, just like the travelling community. Where do we draw the line on racism?

This thread in my opinion was started to make light or in other words garner sympathy for Cllr. Scully, who incidentally shares the same opinion with the thread starter. See the councillor's comments in 2008 about Irish travellers and juxtapose it with the above quote. I am sure you will begin to wonder if the quote abovce was not written by the cllr. himself. Also the thread starter fails to see the link between incitement to hatred and the savage attack on the late Moses Ayanwole. I say; "wait till his behind is dragged to court and charged with the murder of the poor dad of one". "words are like eggs" once dropped they cannot be swallowed. There should be no room for poeple like scully in public office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Thread closed pending mod review..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement