Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cattle/calf prices

• 22-11-2011 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Am i missing something but why are cattle/calf prices gone absolutely crazy?
    Calf heifers making 450,
    cattle making 700 with the weight?

Where will it stop?

Why are they making so much money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

low supply of beef in the world! its a sellers market not a buyers. it will probably remain the same next year however 2013 could be s**t or bust!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Factory prices have increased a fair bit in last year so that is the basis for it

However i think store prices have gone too far relative to the factory price increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

I saw a six week old limousin heifer calf in carnew make €600. :eek: Nice calf but what the hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

factories are quoting 4.00/kg for heifers this week.
    Bullocks 3:90/kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

And this is the time of year when factory prices are normally at their lowest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just back from selling a red and white fr bull calf- fairly holsteiny:o- got €140! 2 weeks old... was about 25 calves good few bb, none made over 400... other friesians made 150 average, lowest 110 highest 200... nice angus bull 300... not many buyers , think the guys who where buying them earlier to drink over quota milk have dried their cows off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

I suppose it is the large factory cheques that are trickling down to pump up the store and weanling trade. Also high factory prices mean that finishers feel they have to buy before the year end or end up with a sizeable tax bill.
    I sold a 610kg White CH bullock born April 2010 last week for 1355 euro. He was bought last april for 760. To be fair he was the pick of the bunch but the local guy who bought him got a cheque for just over 1700 euro last week for a bullock he bought in Feb for 920 euro.
    Even the smaller cattle are making huge money - small spring born suckler bred bull weanlings 240kg making 800 - 850 euro - well over 3 euro a kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

whelan1 wrote: »
    just back from selling a red and white fr bull calf- fairly holsteiny:o- got €140! 2 weeks old... was about 25 calves good few bb, none made over 400... other friesians made 150 average, lowest 110 highest 200... nice angus bull 300... not many buyers , think the guys who where buying them earlier to drink over quota milk have dried their cows off

Me thinks it might be time to buy a few calves. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

Bought a point of calf cow May10 for E725, she had a black heifer who is now a great store heifer worth 950ish and i sold her fair 245kg 5 month charolais bull calf last week for 745.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Sold 2 week old mox heifer calf €400 last week, very happy, buyer wanted to know would I have any more soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

essgee268 wrote: »
    Bought a point of calf cow May10 for E725, she had a black heifer who is now a great store heifer worth 950ish and i sold her fair 245kg 5 month charolais bull calf last week for 745.
    What breed of cow was she? Can't imagine any springing cow being sold for €725 this year :confused:

What breed of cow was she? Can't imagine any springing cow being sold for €725 this year :confused:
    may 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Am i missing something but why are cattle/calf prices gone absolutely crazy?
    Calf heifers making 450,
    cattle making 700 with the weight?

Where will it stop?

Why are they making so much money?

High prices always cures high prices, ie if a product gets over priced, everyone starts producing, then there's a glut, then bang, we're worse off than we were before because everyone that found it too expensive is gone to cheaper alternatives, just watch it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

rancher wrote: »
    High prices always cures high prices, ie if a product gets over priced, everyone starts producing, then there's a glut, then bang, we're worse off than we were before because everyone that found it too expensive is gone to cheaper alternatives, just watch it

+1

Every farmer and their mother's are keeping extra heifers this year. This is only going to lead to 2 things:

1. Extra work and profit for the vets with c-sections on heifers that should never have been put in calf at all.
    2. A glut of weinlings at the back end of next year and a drop in prices!!

Is the beef shortage not worldwide ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

red bull wrote: »
    may 2010
    That makes more sense, May 10 is more like the 10th of May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

reilig wrote: »
    ..Every farmer and their mother's are keeping extra heifers this year.

This has a double effect. Those extra heifers would normally be killed, so by putting them in-calf, you're making beef even scarcer this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

pakalasa wrote: »
    This has a double effect. Those extra heifers would normally be killed, so by putting them in-calf, you're making beef even scarcer this year.

Think the forward price of grain has dropped thirty euro ton already....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

pakalasa wrote: »

And there could be alot of cheap in calf heifers, of varying quality, to be bought next year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 scuggels

Muckit wrote: »
    alot of cheap in calf heifers, of varying quality, to be bought next year :rolleyes:
    Lads bulling anything with four legs thinking thay will clean up by adding to the already Special In calf sales. Have been at a few there was one last week in Balllinasloe the farmer had 25 red LM calving from march onwards! so could be well may +. Prices from 1040 to 1220 so at the end of the day would of got on better with being dry. And the quality lot of them not fit for bulling

• Advertisement
Advertisement