Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ddr2 ( not ddr3 ) in 4 gig sticks ?

Options
  • 22-11-2011 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

im doing a refresh of a GBYTE GA-EP43-DS3 board - ( not a laptop by the way )
    it says it can support 16 gigs of ddr 2 in its 4 slots

moving from win xp 32 to win7 pro 64 to get away from xp's memory limits

machine is to used for audio production -all the software will work on win7pro 64 ( and needs more than 4 gig ram - 16 gig would be ideal )
    cpu is q9550

and i hate macs .

trouble is - i cant find 4 gig sticks anywhere - ive searched high and low

are they even made ?

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

They have some on dabs.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

wow , i dont know how i missed them

oh and

sweet jesus :eek:

there goes xmas tiny tim

many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

dont understand why youd need 16gb of ram for audioproduction.. complete overkill in my opinion.. i currently use ableton just fine with 2gb of ram and routinely have up to 30+ tracks in a project, at this point its the harddrive that becomes the bottleneck and where loading clips to ram would actually help. i reckon youd be grand with anywhere between 4 to 8. search adverts.ie for ddr2, you might find something affordable second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

For audio production 4 to 8GB is plenty, unless your working exclusively with uncompressed audio - and even at that, 8GB is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

using nebula vst ( basically a virtual mixing desk )

along with superiour drums 2

and virtual pianos

eats ram like a pirahana thats why i need it

and 8 gig is not enough for audio production these days if you are working vst native with large vsti's

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭asif2011

I have 2 DDR2 boards, and was looking for 16Gb of DDR2 to max out the boards. But I found it's an exercise in futility, at the time DDR3 was expensive and like overnight the price came down and I was left with DDR2 boards.

They both work with whitebox ESX servers which is all I really cared about in the first place, but if you want 16Gb or more you'll have to go DDR3. Someboards are picky about what RAM you use also, so it's best to check the motherboard manual for compatible RAM - mine never listed any 16Gb which was compatible, only 8Gb. And to be honest I wasn't going to take the chance buying 32Gb of possible incompatible RAM so just went with 8Gb each...

Advertisement