Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems with PS1

• 22-11-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I know the PS1 is pretty old, however it hasn't been used up to recently for a long time and was working fine up to this weekend. It switches on and the Sony sign comes up when I turn it on, but it doesn't seem to recognise that there's a disc in it. I tried more than one game, so it's not the individual game that's the problem. After the Sony sign comes on it gives me a screen showing me 'Compact Disc' and 'Memory Card'. The controls don't do anything with this screen. The disc doesn't spin when I turn it on, so it doesn't bring up the game I have in the machine.

It worked fine up to a few days ago and just stopped worknig all of a sudden. I've checked the wires, they're all in properly and the memory card is in correctly. Anything else i can do to get it working again?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The lasers in the PS1 are notoriously bad quality and are prone to failure. The laser could just be worn out. Can sometimes happen when a PS1 is in storage for a long time as well and has gotten dusty.

This might sound silly but it's worth a try and it's what people had to do with the first few PS1 models which were even more ****ty. Try running the PS1 on it's side or even upside down. It sometimes helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Try running the PS1 on it's side or even upside down. It sometimes helps.
    I was going to suggest this. I think it's to with the laser mechanism wearing out and becoming unable to raise up to meet the disc. My PS1 had the same issue and turning it over helped. Getting a PS2 was the more permanent fix :)

A PS3 will play PS1 games if the upside down trick doesn't work and you feel like upgrading.

Advertisement