Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ciara Conway..

• 22-11-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭

I know there's a few people round here that think she's only a self PR Merchant, and I'm beginning to think the same meself now at this stage. Stood around for photos at Talk Talk and we've still heard nothing after all their sabre rattling.

Now I spotted this http://www.independent.ie/national-news/naas-mayor-who-wonrsquot-deal-with-black-africans-may-quit-2941395.html

Ciara Conway, Labour TD for Waterford, said she was appalled by the comments made by Mr Scully......

Ms Conway added: "I am sickened that in this day and age we have to tackle such small-minded ignorance from bigots like this. Of course, he has qualified his statement by playing the 'I'm not a racist but ...' card. As if that's an acceptable excuse."

While I'm not excusing what the chap has said or his opinions, I'm just highlighting the fact she's bandwagon jumping at the first chance. I'd rather she got the feck out of the press and got on with doing something for this place, we've only got three TD's in government and it looks at this stage that we might as well have elected three ducks instead for all the use they are.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Look at any article in the local, or national, papers by politicians and you'll see the same. A pointless article saying how something is disgraceful and they're against it, or how something is brilliant and they're all for it. What you will never see is what they're actually doing about the issue.

It's the same in some workplaces I've worked in. Certain people will send loads of pointless emails just to get themselves noticed while the people doing the actual work are too busy to advertise it.

Nearly every city councilor has been guilty of this in the local papers. And nearly every TD has been guilty of it in the local/national papers. And I don't blame them. That's how they get re-elected. By the time elections come around people remember that the politician was in the paper but can't quite remember what for. But that familiarity is enough to get the vote.

Until the voters cop on and demand their public representatives actually do some work that is measurable and accountable, or else they will be voted out of office at the earliest opportunity, nothing will change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Was there ever a female TD up to the job?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nolanger wrote: »
    Was there ever a female TD up to the job?

That's borderline sexist. I don't think the sex makes the slightest difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Well name one then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Well name one then?

Mary O' Rourke ;)

In all seriousness, I consider Ivana Bacik an excellent politician, although she isn't a TD, and don't think she has ever been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Well name one then?

Harney. Completely worth her 130K a year pension
    yeah right

Most Irish female TD's are crap or were crap. I dont think thats because they are female though. Most Irish male TD's are likewise rubbish

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Good old smiley (in reference to the TalkTalk photo),
    She's certainly bandwagon jumping alright.

I suggest she get her own PR person to tell her not to smile in photos when the news is bad and everyone else isn't smiling. Of course she got to stand beside her leader so I guess that just made her day.

To be honest sex doesn't come into it, there are plenty of very poor TD's...infact most of them are male but then thats down to the male/female percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Mary O' Rourke ;)

In all seriousness, I consider Ivana Bacik an excellent politician, although she isn't a TD, and don't think she has ever been.

Oh God, Ivana Bacik is perhaps the most annoying person alive. Dislike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Ciara Conway, all smiles as 600+ people are left go from Talk Talk. Truly pathetic, I think a turnip would represent us better. This is how FF will get back in when we have the choice of people like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThheW7M_vzbfw45A8bgBz1m1K4V7v_Ms_6oPwr3_Y1s8YJdWtWIQgoZtOUlA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Lads, I'm no conway fan...but all you're doing is obsessing over one photo. A photo where 2 other people are also smiling. If this is all you have to beat her with then you're either too lazy to research properly or you don't have anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

look lads this whole successive government is a joke they were all promises before they got in and now there just as bad as the fianna fail lot!!! as for all this stuff being leaked to the press about 2% vat increase,dole and childrens allowance decreases!! i think this is just a smoke screen for what cuts that are really gonna come!!! and it aint gonna be good.
    thats my rant back on topic how did she even get into the dail???? who actually voted for her coz i for one did,nt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

I know people who voted for her because of her "nice blonde hair"!!!

Seamus Ryan is a decent, hard-working councillor, yet Labour supporters voted for a woman with a very poor track-record in local politics!!
    WHY??????????????????????????????/

now they are finding out that she is useless!!! TOUGH LUCK LADS!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

look lads this whole successive government is a joke they were all promises before they got in and now there just as bad as the fianna fail lot!!! as for all this stuff being leaked to the press about 2% vat increase,dole and childrens allowance decreases!! i think this is just a smoke screen for what cuts that are really gonna come!!! and it aint gonna be good.
    thats my rant back on topic how did she even get into the dail???? who actually voted for her coz i for one did,nt

Usually its the other way around - a sample to see how the public would react to such an idea.

I'm not overly happy with how things are going either, but they are basically doing a lot of Fianna Fail policy implementation as that's what was agreed with the EU/IMF. Room for change is hard.

What would you do to bring down our budget deficit??

would you cut spending or increase taxes???

when the workers of this country open their pay-packets in january, they will be the same as they were in december!!! This is the first time in 3 YEARS that this has happened!!

Well done to FG for sticking to their promise not to increase income tax!!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

when the workers of this country open their pay-packets in january, they will be the same as they were in december!!! This is the first time in 3 YEARS that this has happened!!

Nominal wage v real wage! It doesn't matter which way they take it from us. Your wage is only a number. Its purchasing power will be reduced to the same degree and so will people who really can't afford it, while a higher tax rate on the rich targets the people who can more afford it. If they do increase VAT (and who knows what the hell they'll do) it's the crudest way of doing things.

On a related matter I don't know why Irish governments are so wary of means testing children's allowance rather than (perhaps) reducing it to everyone. It's a no-brainer. I know the OAPs protested in the face of suggests means testing but that shouldn't scare a government into not doing the right thing and try to target welfare payments at those who need them rather than taking it from everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

Not to jump to Ciara Conway's defence or anything but there's no-one unsmiling in that photo - just because you can see her teeth she gets lambasted?

And as for the 'jumping on the bandwagon' comment - read the whole statement, her daughter is mixed race so this obviously hit close to home for her, of course she was going to react, how could she not? And I'm glad that a representative from our constituency spoke out against those disgusting comments made by Darren Scully.

http://www.labour.ie/press/listing/13219643111782373.html

letsbet wrote: »
    Nominal wage v real wage! It doesn't matter which way they take it from us. Your wage is only a number. Its purchasing power will be reduced to the same degree and so will people who really can't afford it, while a higher tax rate on the rich targets the people who can more afford it. If they do increase VAT (and who knows what the hell they'll do) it's the crudest way of doing things.

On a related matter I don't know why Irish governments are so wary of means testing children's allowance rather than (perhaps) reducing it to everyone. It's a no-brainer. I know the OAPs protested in the face of suggests means testing but that shouldn't scare a government into not doing the right thing and try to target welfare payments at those who need them rather than taking it from everyone.

Income tax increases in the 1980's DID NOT WORK!!! WE NEED CUTS!!!

Income tax increases in the 1980's DID NOT WORK!!! WE NEED CUTS!!!

Lots of things didn't work in the past. Higher VAT rates included. Higher VAT increases will not get us out of the mess. Anyway, I was refering to your point about how great it is than our wages won't be down. In the face of increased VAT rates and inflation your delight seems misplaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Tangled wrote: »

It makes me sick when I read articles like this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Fairly sure she was voted into office? along with the other two eejits "representing" waterford? what gets me is how people just complain complain complain but when they have a chance to do something about it they do nothing

A wise man once said, people get exactly the kind of the government they deserve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

kryogen wrote: »
    Fairly sure she was voted into office? along with the other two eejits "representing" waterford? what gets me is how people just complain complain complain but when they have a chance to do something about it they do nothing

A wise man once said, people get exactly the kind of the government they deserve

Anyone deserves a chance once, if they can't perform over that term they shouldn't be re-elected, that's something that I can't fathom at all, voting the same shysters in time and time again.

kryogen wrote: »

Sure people haven't had a chance to do anything about it as she hasn't been up for re-election yet. If she's voted in next time then you may have a point but even at that all the people who haven't voted for her would still be entitled to give out. It's not the fault of any individual how other people vote.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I'd be interested to hear Ciara Conway's opinion on Ray O'Dwyer's pension windfall.

Or that of any of the other TDs we elected on this latest example of blatant greed.

The silence is deafening lads.

Tis depressing to see and hear public representatives lambasting safe targets (such as that racist in Kildare), but then saying "No comment" on anything even remotely divisive.

The truth is that senior civil servants and TDs/councillors all have more in common with each other, whatever party they're from, than they have with the man/woman in the street. (I'm no Sinn Fein supporter, but Brendan Mansfield in Dungarvan seems to be the exception to this).

Tis all about maintaining the power structure.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I'd be interested to hear Ciara Conway's opinion on Ray O'Dwyer's pension windfall.

Or that of any of the other TDs we elected on this latest example of blatant greed.

The silence is deafening lads.

Tis depressing to see and hear public representatives lambasting safe targets (such as that racist in Kildare), but then saying "No comment" on anything even remotely divisive.

The truth is that senior civil servants and TDs/councillors all have more in common with each other, whatever party they're from, than they have with the man/woman in the street. (I'm no Sinn Fein supporter, but Brendan Mansfield in Dungarvan seems to be the exception to this).

Tis all about maintaining the power structure.

The one thing you WONT hear is that the system that allowed Ray O'Dwyer walk away with such a large pension, was put in place at the behest of the TRADE UNIONS back in the late 1980's!!!

No wonder the country is shagged!!!

i,d cut spending and reduce numbers in the public sector, and as for that vat increase i,d decrease and not increase that to stimulate spending and get bit more confidence into the retail sector to keep jobs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The Students Union in WIT are organising a march on her office tomorrow I think! Poor woman!

well she was voted in!! she has to start showing results and not just sit back with her arms folded thinking she,s safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

AdMMM wrote: »
    The Students Union in WIT are organising a march on her office tomorrow I think! Poor woman!

Poor woman my bo**ocks! she was voted in by the people of Waterford and now has a duty to represent them. 1 of the platforms upon which Labour were elected was the promise not to increase 3rd level contribution charge, not to re-introduce fees or lower 3rd level grants. Labour have now said they can't promise that. She is a Labour party TD and is in government, she is accountable to the people who voted for her and the people who didn't vote for her in her constituency. They have a right to protest and I hope they will march to her office.

• Advertisement

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Poor woman my bo**ocks! she was voted in by the people of Waterford and now has a duty to represent them. 1 of the platforms upon which Labour were elected was the promise not to increase 3rd level contribution charge, not to re-introduce fees or lower 3rd level grants. Labour have now said they can't promise that. She is a Labour party TD and is in government, she is accountable to the people who voted for her and the people who didn't vote for her in her constituency. They have a right to protest and I hope they will march to her office.

Pure electioneering in Labours part with that pledge, and the USI knew it. They were told by many many people (including me) but we were ignored and our posts removed (on their Facebook).

Its an awful shame that they wouldn't protest over something that might change (such as the grants). Marching to a back benchers office who wont be going against the government anytime soon wont make much of a difference and takes more people away from their classes. Kinda ironic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

i,d cut spending and reduce numbers in the public sector, and as for that vat increase i,d decrease and not increase that to stimulate spending and get bit more confidence into the retail sector to keep jobs!!

I fully agree about the VAT. The German VAT rate is IIRC 19% and I think we should be at most that. I'd love to see a trail done at lowering it to 15% and see how much spending increases. Retail in one of the worst hit areas for unemployment so the way I see it lower VAT>More spending> more employment> even more spending. All we heard about during the election was the promise to get Ireland working. Personally, I'm not seeing it.

Back on topic, I voted for CC (by transfer) and I think she should have to answer to her constituents. Do I agree with marching on her office? No, she's not solely at fault by any means.

Sully wrote: »
    Pure electioneering in Labours part with that pledge, and the USI knew it. They were told by many many people (including me) but we were ignored and our posts removed (on their Facebook).

Its an awful shame that they wouldn't protest over something that might change (such as the grants). Marching to a back benchers office who wont be going against the government anytime soon wont make much of a difference and takes more people away from their classes. Kinda ironic.
    it sucks having your posts deleted or censored sully don,t it lol

ziedth wrote: »
    I fully agree about the VAT. The German VAT rate is IIRC 19% and I think we should be at most that. I'd love to see a trail done at lowering it to 15% and see how much spending increases. Retail in one of the worst hit areas for unemployment so the way I see it lower VAT>More spending> more employment> even more spending. All we heard about during the election was the promise to get Ireland working. Personally, I'm not seeing it.

Back on topic, I voted for CC (by transfer) and I think she should have to answer to her constituents. Do I agree with marching on her office? No, she's not solely at fault by any means.

i see it first hand what way the retail sector is am i,m a rep and am in convenience shops daily selling food products to shops and even there finding it hard and its a knock on effect to us also on recently we left go 63 reps throughout ireland and if things get any worse there,ll be more gone so yeah i,m with ya on bringing vat down to 15 % its too clever an idea for our government though

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

I had a good laugh when I read about Deputy Joe Higgins' remarks in Dáil Éireann yesterday about the "little elves of the Labour Party backbenchers who are busy mining for votes in repeating all the pledges made by their leaders". He continued: "We hear from journalists that they have been hiding in the woods for the last few days".

Ciara even looks the part!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Guramoogah wrote: »
    I had a good laugh when I read about Deputy Joe Higgins' remarks in Dáil Éireann yesterday about the "little elves of the Labour Party backbenchers who are busy mining for votes in repeating all the pledges made by their leaders". He continued: "We hear from journalists that they have been hiding in the woods for the last few days".

Ciara even looks the part!

Elf....more like an ork.

• Advertisement

Think we are done here as its purely just passing insults around and isn't discussing her job as a TD in the slightest anymore.

Topic Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement