Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elvis Costello to play O2

Options
  • 22-11-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭

Elvis Costello is going to play the O2 with the Imposters next May.

Apparently he's bringing the Spinning Wheel with him.

This is where the wheel gets spun by members of the audience to select the songs to be played.

Saw this show last time it was here in the Olympia - all of 25 years ago :0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I'd be very sad if it didn't land on Shipbuilding.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

That seems like a cool idea but I was thinking about it yesterday and I came to the conclusion that it's not good at all. :P

The time it would take to get someone up, Spin the wheel, person leaves stage, song gets played, someone else gets up etc. etc. [That is of course if that's how the system works] I think it would take away from the momentum of the gig. It would be better if people sent in songs like in an email before the gig, those songs are out on the wheel and he spins them, Would be more of a flow to the gig I think.

Okay, I found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqa-YdCGZGw

Could this work in the O2 with all the barriers etc? And it takes a long time too. It's a cool idea in theory but I don't think in practice, Thats just me, I'd rather more songs in the space of time to do all the spinning. Sorry if I seem to be so negative also, I really like Elvis and am considering going to the gig cause I missed the Vicar Street gig last year that sounded like it was a cracker.

Final disappointment, tickets are between 50 and 65 squids :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Elvis is great but Olympia/Vicar St. sized venue would be better place to see him, 50 lids is a fair price I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

CiaranK wrote: »
    the Vicar Street gig last year that sounded like it was a cracker.

it most certanly was

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cassElliot

did anybody go to this gig last night? i was at it and wondering what others thought of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I like Elvis Costello, but I wasn't there last night. Someone I know described it as "absolute muck". They felt the spinning wheel led to a fractured, stop-start situation throughout the evening, which meant any real dynamic was lost. I'm wondering if you'd agree.
    They also said the upper area was cordoned off, proof - unsurprisingly - that the O2 was a far too ambitious venue for this show. I always felt it would have been better off in the Grand Canal Theatre (as I still call it) or somewhere more intimate.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

I was at it last night, and at first i kinda liked the wheel idea - but he was going to play the selected songs anyway so it was just for a kind of "show" element. He played for about 2 hours 20 mins, sang all the greats,he still has the voice! i was disappointed that he didnt really speak to the audience though, no interaction there at all, a bit self indulgent actually

• Registered Users Posts: 18 manonhire

Was at the gig last night and had a great time! I thought he spent a huge amount of time interacting with the audience and at one stage ventured off the stage to walk around the audience. Played for nearly three hours and that's despite me and the missus missing the first 15 minutes. Great voice, a few anecdotes and a really good band - fantastic evening!

• Advertisement

i have to agree with the negative comments, it was my first time at the 02 and i thought the stage looked crap. for someone as famous as elvis costello is the stage was really lacking, it was about as good as a stage designed for a band only starting out.
    i thought he was funny, and his voice was amazing but i felt really bored. i left before the end. i actually wished i hadn't gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Last nights setlist (as per setlist.fm)

1.I Hope You're Happy Now
    2.Heart of the City (Nick Lowe cover)
    3.Mystery Dance
    4.Radio Radio

"Happy" Jackpot - Spin 1
    5.I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down
    6.High Fidelity
    7.5ive Gears in Reverse
    8.King Horse

(Spin 2)
    9.I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea
    10.Good Year for the Roses (Spinner's Request)

(Spin 3)
    11.Cry Cry Cry (Johnny Cash cover)
    12.Motel Matches

(Spin 4)
    13.Please Please Me (The Beatles cover)
    14.Alison

(Spin 5 - Double Spin)
    15.Beyond Belief
    16.Watching The Detectives/Help Me

(The Hammer Of Songs)
    17.Oliver's Army (Spinner's Request)

("Joanna" Jackpot - Spin 6)
    18.I Still Have That Other Girl
    19.She
    20.Everyday I Write the Book (Spinner's Request)

Encore 1:
    21.A Slow Drag with Josephine
    22.Jimmie Standing in the Rain
    23.Who's The Meanest Gal In Town Josephine
    24.Suit of Lights
    25.Veronica
    26.National Ransom No. 2

Encore 2:
    27.Pump It Up

(Spin 7)
    28.Peace Love and Understanding
    29.His Latest Flame
    30.Uncomplicated/Purple Rain (Prince cover)
    31.I Want You

I'm a greatest hits fan of Elvis Costello so I was happy to hear nearly all of them last night. The Wheel concept worked well with his "glamourous" assistants helping things move along.

It would have been perfect if he had left after Peace Love and Understanding. The end of the show seemed to go on for as long as the rest of it up to then ;) (I jest, but he did almost outstay his welcome, IMHO)

As others said the O2 was far from full but the parts that werent occupied were well cordonned off. It was a very quiet gig, crowd wise but thats probably to be expected with the age range of his audience.

As for someone saying there was no banter with the crowd, his Johnny Cash story was worth the admission alone...and his take on the role of master of ceremonies during the spins was very entertaining.

It may have been better atmosphere wise if it had been in the Olympia or the Grand Canal Theatre however I'd give him a solid 7/10. Not sure I'd go to see him again but its another one off the bucket list.

i agree with the quiet crowd.. it was the quietest i'd ever experienced. it felt weird to sit down and watch a gig, i'm used to standing.
    i thought there would be a range of ages there but everyone around me seemed much older than me (not that there's anything wrong with that!) just something i noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭martybike

Went last night. It's been a long time since I saw Elvis, but I thought he was on great form. I agree the O2 isn't the best venue. A couple of nights in a smaller venue would have been better. I saw him in the Olympia last time he used the wheel and it had a better atmosphere. Given the choice, I reckon a lot of us would have preferred to stand. It felt strange to sit through songs like Oliver's Army and King Horse.

That said, I couldn't believe the number of people walking around. I know it was an older crowd, but their bladders can't be that bad. I thought it was really rude and didn't show much respect to Elvis or the other fans.

Lots of songs including plenty of the better known stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'd agree with this.
    Was there last night and also last time he brought wheel to Dublin. It was also my first time in the O2. Was underwhelmed by the venue but Elvis was great. Sound was great and even crowd was subdued he finished with an absolutely blistering version of "I want you". Would like to see him in a smaller venue next time.
    martybike wrote: »
    Went last night. It's been a long time since I saw Elvis, but I thought he was on great form. I agree the O2 isn't the best venue. A couple of nights in a smaller venue would have been better. I saw him in the Olympia last time he used the wheel and it had a better atmosphere. Given the choice, I reckon a lot of us would have preferred to stand. It felt strange to sit through songs like Oliver's Army and King Horse.

That said, I couldn't believe the number of people walking around. I know it was an older crowd, but their bladders can't be that bad. I thought it was really rude and didn't show much respect to Elvis or the other fans.

Lots of songs including plenty of the better known stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I thought it was an absolutely stunning gig. First time seeing him since the late 80's! Agree with the crowd being a bit subdued but as we were in the front row it didn't bother us at all, I thought the whole spinning wheel thing was great and didn't slow the set down at all.
    Can't understand the person giving out about the stage - are you used to seeing Kylie or something? There was a go-go dancer cage, a 150 Foot High spinning wheel and the Hammer of Songs or whatever, thought it looked great and way "fancier" than the normal gigs I'm used to.

His voice was amazing and the band were so tight, loved the mix of songs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I thought it was an absolutely stunning gig. First time seeing him since the late 80's! Agree with the crowd being a bit subdued but as we were in the front row it didn't bother us at all, I thought the whole spinning wheel thing was great and didn't slow the set down at all.
    Can't understand the person giving out about the stage - are you used to seeing Kylie or something? There was a go-go dancer cage, a 150 Foot High spinning wheel :D and the Hammer of Songs or whatever, thought it looked great and way "fancier" than the normal gigs I'm used to.

His voice was amazing and the band were so tight, loved the mix of songs too.

The whole show was a great concept and worked really well. With regard to the stage, there was a big gap between the group and the wheel but thats incidental.

The wheel was about 15 feet high, but I know why you said it ;)

Advertisement