Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adabayor

Options
  • 22-11-2011 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

Do you think that Dpurs can keep hold of him for next season?

Came out today and said he wants to make the move permanent. The obvious problem is his wages. I understand Spurs are paying ~50% atm ( around £70k with City paying him another £70k) as I read he was on £140k a week

Is it plausible that either

A) Adabayor takes a substantial wage cut(I think not)

or

B) Spurs break their salary cap

I think Spurs should do their best to hold on to him, as players as good as him don't become available all that much. But it's a difficult one as you don't want to be setting ridiculous precedents with regards wages.

I suppose there would also be the not so small matter of a transfer fee that I'm sure City would insist upon(Probably around £15m as I think he'll be in the last year of his City contract come the end of the season)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

id say we will go to 100k and he will take the cut from 140 to 100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

mickman wrote: »
    id say we will go to 100k and he will take the cut from 140 to 100

Just read there, there's conflicting reports about his wages. Sky and others are saying he's on £170k at City and Spurs are paying £70k.

I think it was the Telegraph claiming he's on £140k.

I wouldn't be so sure about him taking a pay cut either way tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Well his form this season has been great. He may not be putting away all of the chances, but he's tracking back, tackling hard, not giving up - it's quite amazing actually as these aren't things you'd normally associate with a CF, let alone Adebayor!

If he continues playing like this I would imagine the club will do what they can to keep hold of him. The problem will be that once one player goes to 100k, all of the best players need to go there, which means we'd need to be in the CL.

I think if we can finish in the CL places at the end of the season he'll be a Spurs player next season, accepting the max we can offer, which could be around the 100k mark. If he wants to stay, he may have to show it in other ways than on the pitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

As mickman says I can see him being with us next season on 100k a week. That is also the rumoured figure that Modric will get in a new contract.

If those two get that type of money then Bale and VDV will surely be looking to get paid also.

On the plus side we have trimmed some big earners from the wage bill recently and hopefully Bentley and Jenas can get permanent moves next season. We've also got a number of promising youngsters coming through who can be good squad players while they develop and won't be on much money.

At the end of the day we are going to have to pay the money to hang onto our stars. As long as we are getting value for money then I've no problem increasing our salary cap for special players. It's when run-of-the-mill players start earning big money that things get out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Let me throw a curve ball.
    Yes he is doing well, and will most likely prove to be a very shrewd loan signing, but i'd wait until the end of the season before making any decision.
    If I'm honest, id rather not sign him if it meant we got cavani or soldado for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

A bird in the hand.......
    He already fit's in well and looks very happy

Hatch99 wrote: »
    if it meant we got cavani .

Good timing ;) , I cried out for Suarez for ages on this forum and was let down, I am now setting my sights on cavani, he's the man we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Good timing ;) , I cried out for Suarez for ages on this forum and was let down, I am now setting my sights on cavani, he's the man we want.
    We offered some 20m summer 12 months ago and were told 40m was the price tag since then it's only gone up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Kind of a catch 22....

If he continues to play well and we get CL, he will want to stay and we will want to keep him and Man City will want Spurs to cough up a decent transfer fee. Failing that they could offer him to another club with a thank you very much to Spurs for reviving his career...

If he wants to stay, let him take €80k a week. If he doesn't want to stay send him on his way... Not many clubs will take a punt on Adebayor for €15m plus say (€170k x 208wks) €35m in wages!

Also, give him an incentive i.e. if Spurs get into CL two years running we'll bump you up to €100k/wk.

We offered some 20m summer 12 months ago and were told 40m was the price tag since then it's only gone up

Assuming pav leaves, and if we dont sign Adebayor, we will be in the market for a serious striker next summer, so will have to spend a fair wedge to get one. Getting ahead of ourselves maybe..

• Advertisement

cavani or soldado for example.

Both must have been reading this forum :D

Advertisement