Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible attempted child abduction in Ballon

Options
  • 22-11-2011 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

For starters I know this thread might spook some people but I feel I need to highlight it. Please note that at the moment this only looks like another possible child abduction after it happened last week somewhere near Borris (ballinkillen I think), as reported in the Nationalist last week front page.

Today before the close of school 2 men in their 30's went onto the school premises and asked a couple of teachers that they were to pick up a child of a certain name, they said he needs to get off early, (I've been told it was a very generic name), a child of this name is not in the school and they left. The men then were hanging around at the chipper across the road from the school and then left. The guards are currently in the school and 1 or 2 businesses reviewing CCTV. The men were around while some parents were collecting their kids and nobody recognised them and Ballon would be fairly close knit.
    Again I must say that I have just been told the above and don't want this to get blown out of proportion incase there is an explanation, but I feel that due to the fact that it happened last week in a Carlow village and that the guards are around the village investigating, I feel I have to highlight it here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I have a son in 1st class, and my father collected him yesterday from school.

No child was let out until the teachers recognised who was collecting them, the guards were doing their thing, and the school sent a text at 3.15 explaining the situation to those parents that may not have been aware of what was going on, and also asking parents to remind the kids about speaking to strangers etc.

Have to compliment the school on the way they reacted to the situation - there may well be an explanation for this, but you cannot be too careful. And while I would be worried about something as disturbing as this, it is very reassuring to know that the school have procedures in place, and reacted accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

alproctor wrote: »
    I have a son in 1st class, and my father collected him yesterday from school.

No child was let out until the teachers recognised who was collecting them, the guards were doing their thing, and the school sent a text at 3.15 explaining the situation to those parents that may not have been aware of what was going on, and also asking parents to remind the kids about speaking to strangers etc.

Have to compliment the school on the way they reacted to the situation - there may well be an explanation for this, but you cannot be too careful. And while I would be worried about something as disturbing as this, it is very reassuring to know that the school have procedures in place, and reacted accordingly.

I have to agree with you, the school and the gardai who came out from Carlow were on the ball. I have the say the sequence of events yesterday just does not make sense, I have heard a lot of bits of info but would rather not say unless I know they are fact.
    I do know that they have the guys on CCTV and they have a reg no. but at this stage do not know much else.
    Hopefully the school reassure the kids today, my little lady could not go asleep last night worrying about "the kidnappers"..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Wow thats a strange coincidence. My young lad came ome from creche in fenagh yesterday where they were doing stranger danger and was telling me not to talk to strangers and not to take sweets off any when i was in work.

Laughed it off at him telling not to be talkin to strangers but will have a good chat with him this evening. Shockin havin that chat at 3!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

just to give this a bump and ask if anybody heard anything more about this story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

alproctor wrote: »
    just to give this a bump and ask if anybody heard anything more about this story?

Yeah, thankfully it was nothing, as I said in my OP that hopefully there was an explanation. The 2 guys were in the school asking for a name , but it was a front to get into the school to suss it out for breaking into it. I think they have attempt the same stunt at a couple of other schools in the region.
    It's scary the amount of break ins across the county at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

Scaremongering but then it's better to be safe than sorry !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

kwalshe wrote: »
    The 2 guys were in the school asking for a name , but it was a front to get into the school to suss it out for breaking into it. I think they have attempt the same stunt at a couple of other schools in the region.
    It's scary the amount of break ins across the county at the moment.

They go around selling pillows for the same reason , mainly to find vacant houses .

Advertisement