Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improv classes in Dublin?

Options
  • 22-11-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

I'm thinking about taking some improv acting/comedy classes, as I've heard they can be alot of fun and can help your ability to think on your toes etc. Anybody know any places in Dublin that do this sort of thing, bear in mind I'm basically a complete beginner. I acted a bit when I was younger but not really at all since.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You have a only few options and all of them have different price ranges!

My own group No Drama Theatre have an improv course. The current course finishes tonight with the graduation show on tomorrow. The next improv course wont be until next year, date to be confirmed. Our Tuesday works incorporate improv as part of theatre training. its not dedicated comedy improv on a tuesday but you will gain the essential benefit of improvising. Your first workshop with No Drama is free, after that its €25 per month.

I will be running a 6 class improv course (over 6 weeks) in south Dublin (D14/D18 area) in January. If you are interested in this drop me a PM and I will give you my email address and bit more detail.

There are other options in Dublin, some of which I know are good and some of which I know are awful. Be wary of "college style" pricing for improv courses. Anything over €100 for an improv course or for a day's training is too much in my opinion given there are cheaper courses with great teachers elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

faceman wrote: »
    You have a only few options and all of them have different price ranges!

My own group No Drama Theatre have an improv course. The current course finishes tonight with the graduation show on tomorrow. The next improv course wont be until next year, date to be confirmed. Our Tuesday works incorporate improv as part of theatre training. its not dedicated comedy improv on a tuesday but you will gain the essential benefit of improvising. Your first workshop with No Drama is free, after that its €25 per month.

I will be running a 6 class improv course (over 6 weeks) in south Dublin (D14/D18 area) in January. If you are interested in this drop me a PM and I will give you my email address and bit more detail.

There are other options in Dublin, some of which I know are good and some of which I know are awful. Be wary of "college style" pricing for improv courses. Anything over €100 for an improv course or for a day's training is too much in my opinion given there are cheaper courses with great teachers elsewhere.

Faceman knows what he is doing (usually :p).

I'd agree about the 100 or less rule for a day's training. But think of it like a dance class or a yoga class, and how much you'd pay for an hour of a good class, and how much you're getting out of it. If the course runs more than 6 weeks and is 2 hours a week, probably 120 quid max, that's a tenner an hour. If it is a very small group and the work is more intense, maybe more. Some people do a discount for student/unemployed/equity, so always ask.

Advertisement