Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one item during pregnancy you can't go without?

Options
  • 22-11-2011 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I'm looking to get my wife a Christmas gift. She is early days pregnant and I was wondering what was your one item during pregnancy that you couldn't go without?
    Weekends away, cooking, shopping, cleaning all sorted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Pregnancy back massage !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My secret santa is getting me a Spa day, it'll come in handy when I can't reach to paint my own toenails anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Not a major present but my slanket (well my cheaper JML copy of a slanket) was my saviour for all those sleepless nights when I'd end up sitting on the couch watching tv at 3 or 4am!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Gentlebirth CDs - they've got me through 2 pregnancies and births now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

one of those long body pillows... Once I got to the point where I couldn't sleep on my tummy it was the only way I could sleep comfortably. A good one can also be used as a feeding pillow afterwards (for either breast feeding or bottle feeding) for a support holding baby.
    Not the most exciting thing, but I really couldn't have lived without it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

x2
    second that and they give great sleep while pregnant
    mp3 player if she does not have one

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Copious amounts of Rennie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Back massages.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭paper cut

Back massages.

Professional Back massages? or should i chance my arm?
    Might look at the long pillow suggestion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Oh yeah I never even thought of that, I would second that one :)

• Advertisement

Where would one get gentlebirth CD's? before I go and buy radiohead's greatest hits.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A really nice weekend away for you both,a food and cinema trip,a pregnancy day in a spa.
    2 kids alter I wish I did more of these things!

A really nice maternity dress / clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

liliq wrote: »
    one of those long body pillows... Once I got to the point where I couldn't sleep on my tummy it was the only way I could sleep comfortably. A good one can also be used as a feeding pillow afterwards (for either breast feeding or bottle feeding) for a support holding baby.
    Not the most exciting thing, but I really couldn't have lived without it!

I WISH I had gotten one of these, instead of having to use 3 separate pillows for a comfy sleep. They all have to be moved and re-positioned whenever I turn over in the bed.

If I am ever having another baby then a pregnancy body pillow will be the first thing on my wish list!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Pillows, pillows, pillows.

And my slanket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

pregnancy massages! So nice! (make sure you get someone who knows about pregnancy, though, since after a while, your wife may not be able to lie on her stomach anymore!) ;-)

have a long pillow, too - but to be honest, it annoyed me more than it did good. it's just so bulky and awkward, and hubby is complaining about the lack of space in the bed. I tossed the big pillow and am now using 3 smaller ones - it's easier to move them around...(the exact opposite to Cunning Stunt I just realised ;-))

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

A tens machine for when she goes into labour. It really does help with the pain. But if you could manage it a canister of the air and mix. Id love one for when the kids are being monsters :-)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Whatever you do, dont get her weight loss or fitness toning up DVDs. (yes, I know a fella that got his wife that as a "thanks for giving birth to our child" gift about 8 years ago :D)

I reckon he only has another 20 or so years before he is let off the hook.

Gifts after the birth should be ideally very sparkly, and contain precious metals ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Long pillow are a must I think I have tried couple of normal pillows, v shaped pillow and just a long pillow none gave me any comfort so I gave in and spent nearly €60 on DreamGenii Pillow from Mothercare best thing I ever did i'ts really worth it.
    I am due end of Jan and I know what I would love for xmas is voucher for reflexology :)

Anybody got a 'Dreamgenii Pregnancy Pillow'? are they any good? (sorry hobbitfeet, should have read your post first)
    Or mama bio congratulations kit?
    I'm heading down the pillow route, me thinks.
    Maybe oils for strechmarks and tummy. or would that be a slap in the face?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

:eek: it'd be a slap in the face for himself if he got me stretchmark oils...hehehe!!! for me i like to deal with the unattractive parts of pregnancy myself without exposing him to it all so that i can still feel attractive around him if ya know what i mean!!! But everyones different!
    I love my dreamgenii pillow - so so comfy!it didnt help really until about 6 months in but has been with me every night since!!!
    def get her some cute little things for the baby - like - mummys girl vest or something like that to show her your as excited as her - or a book of baby names!
    Other than that i agree with the massages etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I'd get her a voucher for a professional massage but also be willing to do them yourself. I loved it when my husband rubbed my back for me and I usually needed one at 10pm on a Friday night so a voucher wouldn't have done me any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

paper cut wrote: »
    Where would one get gentlebirth CD's? before I go and buy radiohead's greatest hits.

http://gentlebirth.ie/

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

xzanti wrote: »
    Copious amounts of Rennie

I'd second this, or alternatively if you could find some sort of keg of gaviscon, this would also be a good gift.

Tens machine would also be a good one for labour, I couldn't have done without it.

My godmother got me a lovely gift set while I was pregnant, it had massage oil, a kind of body butter stuff, and a refresher spray mist. The body butter was great for mositurising the tummy as it expanded, and my hubby used to do my calves/ankles with the oil when my legs were all tired from standing.

If you wanted to be a super awesome husband you could make her little 'vouchers' for back rubs, feet & ankle rubs, pedicures (ok this one might be awkward but my hubby got very good at doing my toenails when I was massively pregnant!), helping to put on socks/shoes as needed. They might not mean a whole lot now, but when I was towards the end of my pregnancy and I was huge, having someone help me with shoes/socks was just brilliant.

This isn't the most romantic thing, but the thing I couldn't have done without in pregnancy is a BellaBand. It definitely expands your wardrobe cos it means she can wear non-maternity trousers for longer. I'm also finding it great post-pregnancy for holding in the 'wobbly bits' when I'm wearing a tighter top (probably best not to mention that to her though!).

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I think nice stretch mark oil such as Dr Hauschka would be good. And I second the pregnancy pillow.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

I think you may be looking for more practical suggestions, but I'll throw in my tuppence worth anyway!

The pandora charm bracelets are lovely and you can get lovely 'baby' charms (my husband got me the silver pram one when our first baby was born).

It might not be a 'practical' gift but what girl doesn't like to be given something sparkly? ;)

http://www.argento.co.uk/SearchResults.aspx?Search=baby+charms+pandora

• Registered Users Posts: 11 magalot

yes pillows,pillows and more pillows! especially near the end! and a gym-ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

Cottontail wrote: »
    I think you may be looking for more practical suggestions, but I'll throw in my tuppence worth anyway!

The pandora charm bracelets are lovely and you can get lovely 'baby' charms (my husband got me the silver pram one when our first baby was born).

It might not be a 'practical' gift but what girl doesn't like to be given something sparkly? ;)

I would have LOVED this idea when I was pregnant, it defo would have set me off lol. I was gona say a long pillow too, but ya should be getting that for her anyway lol, its a definite must!

Cottontail wrote: »

Cottontail, go straight to the top of the class. That sounds like a great idea.
    I've picked up the dreamgeni pillow for €49 in Mama mia which seemed good.
    I was thinking of a T-shirt of some sort with 'does my bump look big in this' printed on the front

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

I've picked up the dreamgeni pillow for €49 in Mama mia which seemed good.
    I was thinking of a T-shirt of some sort with 'does my bump look big in this' printed on the front

Yay! gold star for me! I just suggested it because personally I don't like beauty treatments etc and this was one gift that I got that I loved and will have forever, I'm hoping a new charm is on the way for the new baby (hint, hint Mr Cottontail :D )
    Hope your wife likes it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

It also means forever more if you're stuck for an idea for a present you can get her a charm so a 'get out of jail free' card for ideas :D

Advertisement