Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other Voices 2011

Options
  • 22-11-2011 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭

http://www.othervoices.ie/

Cherry Ghost
    Cold Specks
    Edwyn Collins
    Frank Turner
    James Vincent McMorrow
    Jimi Goodwin (Doves)
    King Charles
    Lisa Hannigan
    Little Green Cars
    Mick Flannery
    SBTRKT
    Spiritualized
    The Coronas
    The Frames
    Wild Beasts

Artists confirmed so far...

Anyone know when the performance days will be announced. Would definetly go down to see Wild Beasts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You can't buy tickets I thought.

You can only win them.

Think it's all happening around the first weekend of December. Thursday to Sunday or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

It would appear you're right...thanks for the heads up on that!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Also line up per day won't be known until after all the tickets are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

i need to win some of these
    please advise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

if boards.ie was a reputable / credible site we'd have bucketloads of tickets here

perhaps lordgoat isn't as well connected as he/she/it claims to be

[PS - this is not a challenge]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

pity the lineup is much the same as who were on it the last few years....

conno16 wrote: »
    if boards.ie was a reputable / credible site we'd have bucketloads of tickets here

You don't see me looking for tickets do you? Plenty of them out there, put in a bit of effort.

seachto7 wrote: »
    pity the lineup is much the same as who were on it the last few years....

There's a lot of dross on it imo. Think there'll be a couple of nights i'd gladly miss out on.

Thursday December 1st

The Frames
    The Coronas
    Little Green Cars
    St Vincent
    Triur - (Martin Hayes, Caoimhin O’Raghallaigh and Peadar O’Riada)

Friday December 2nd

Lisa Hannigan
    James Vincent McMorrow
    Mick Flannery
    Cold Specks

Saturday December 3rd

Cherry Ghost with Jimi Goodwin ( Doves )
    Edwyn Collins
    Frank Turner
    Band Of Skulls

Sunday December 4th

Wild Beasts
    Spiritualized
    SBTRKT
    King Charles
    Ben Howard

Other Room December 5th

Rams Pocket Radio
    Fred
    Ham Sandwich
    The Ambience Affair
    We Cut Corners
    Gypsies on the Autobahn
    Inni-K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Don't remember him ever claiming to be well connected. That's your fantasy department isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

even if you had them all you wouldnt have bucketloads! tickets for other voices are like gold dust!

For the record theres a number of other voices like gigs in the unitarian church on st stephens green at the moment - tickets still available for mick flannery & support tomorrow night!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I need tix for the Saturday night!! Frank is gonna be there and I only found out now, though I wonder how that will work given he will be in Germany the day before and after haha. If I can't get tix, I better be able to find a way to work it! :D

I need tix for the Saturday night!! Frank is gonna be there and I only found out now, though I wonder how that will work given he will be in Germany the day before and after haha.

I'm guessing he'll use the miracle of aeroplanes to get him there and back.

that sunday line up is just streets ahead of all other days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ship the sunday night tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

Other Voices, the ticket situation for this years music festival in Dingle.

So is anyone else a bit suspicious of this new Other Voices set up? You can only 'win' tickets to it. The amount of people who've won tickets so far this year seems to be a lot smaller than the 80 or so capacity of the church per night. Having looked at the small number of competitions run on FB and radio, doesn't add up in my opinion.

Yet the number of journalists I've seen twitter that they are going to Other Voices this year appears to be many more than did last year. I just saw another particular piece of publicity before the events in Dingle that I wouldn't have seen in previous years : a Photographer doing a piece on "Oscar winning Glen Hansard with his band The Frames, playing an acoustic session in a little pub". It's the Oscar Winning headline grab in particular that I'm pointing at.

The presenters from previous years all had something to do with music; Annie Mac is a DJ, John Kelly host of The View discusses events in entertainment and now Aidan Gillen, he's an actor whom I haven't seen do anything music related before but please correct me if I'm wrong. Although Aiden Gillen is well known in America for acting in The Wire and here for the brilliant Love/Hate.

The FB competitions on the OV page are advertising Hotels in Dingle as part of the ticket giveaway, increasing traffic (advertising revenue?) to both the OV page and the hotels website.

People in Dingle used to get first dibs as it were on tickets, I've been told that hasn't happened this year either.

I'm not saying that things should always stay the same but I think this change isn't as innocent as it is trying to first appear.

It seems that the town will be full of journalists who all know each other or will be networking so we're sure to be reading "the best ever" Other Voices reviews over the next few days/weeks.

As someone who has been to Other Voices and enjoyed it immensely, I'm not begrudging those who are lucky enough to be going this year but I am extremely dubious as to the changes that have been made "in fairness" to the general public in getting tickets.

If the idea is to get world wide interest in TV rights (increasing profile and/or revenue), then so be it but don't tell us you're trying to be fairer in distributing the tickets by causing a frenzy among fans on websites and then handing away plenty of tickets to journalists.

Again, this is just my opinion.

blue5 wrote: »
    Other Voices, the ticket situation for this years music festival in Dingle.

So is anyone else a bit suspicious of this new Other Voices set up? You can only 'win' tickets to it. The amount of people who've won tickets so far this year seems to be a lot smaller than the 80 or so capacity of the church per night. Having looked at the small number of competitions run on FB and radio, doesn't add up in my opinion.

Yet the number of journalists I've seen twitter that they are going to Other Voices this year appears to be many more than did last year. I just saw another particular piece of publicity before the events in Dingle that I wouldn't have seen in previous years : a Photographer doing a piece on "Oscar winning Glen Hansard with his band The Frames, playing an acoustic session in a little pub". It's the Oscar Winning headline grab in particular that I'm pointing at.

The presenters from previous years all had something to do with music; Annie Mac is a DJ, John Kelly host of The View discusses events in entertainment and now Aidan Gillen, he's an actor whom I haven't seen do anything music related before but please correct me if I'm wrong. Although Aiden Gillen is well known in America for acting in The Wire and here for the brilliant Love/Hate.

The FB competitions on the OV page are advertising Hotels in Dingle as part of the ticket giveaway, increasing traffic (advertising revenue?) to both the OV page and the hotels website.

People in Dingle used to get first dibs as it were on tickets, I've been told that hasn't happened this year either.

I'm not saying that things should always stay the same but I think this change isn't as innocent as it is trying to first appear.

It seems that the town will be full of journalists who all know each other or will be networking so we're sure to be reading "the best ever" Other Voices reviews over the next few days/weeks.

As someone who has been to Other Voices and enjoyed it immensely, I'm not begrudging those who are lucky enough to be going this year but I am extremely dubious as to the changes that have been made "in fairness" to the general public in getting tickets.

If the idea is to get world wide interest in TV rights (increasing profile and/or revenue), then so be it but don't tell us you're trying to be fairer in distributing the tickets by causing a frenzy among fans on websites and then handing away plenty of tickets to journalists.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Journalists rarely have to buy tickets for this.

Mr.S wrote: »
    ~around 70-80 tickets
    ~20 or so competitions with double passes
    ~handfull of journalists
    ~rest are given to sponsors.

Thanks.
    lordgoat wrote: »
    Journalists rarely have to buy tickets for this.

Journalists don't buy tickets, it's their job to report on events. It's the ratios I'm talking about.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

Journalists don't buy tickets, it's their job to report on events. It's the ratios I'm talking about.

Anyone have any thoughts?

The same number of press tickets are available this year as last year as far as i'm aware.

To me, it sounds like you're annoyed you didn't get a ticket and having a moan about it, which you're entitled to do.

I clearly stated that I didn't begrudge people that got tickets this year.

Does anyone else have an opinion here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭weisses

I clearly stated that I didn't begrudge people that got tickets this year.

Does anyone else have an opinion here?

I'll see how many tickets are to be won with the raffle's tonight and tomorrow

To me it looks like a "who knows who to get tickets event" this year ... Good be wrong though ..

Off now >>> Flannery is playing soon

• Advertisement

Ah ok, interesting. Anyway enjoy Flannery, let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

Thanks, Spiritualized did a great set! Hope someone gets a copy of the set list, tried to find one of the songs last night using the lyrics but no joy :s

Advertisement