Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Cyber Fraud.Gee gosh golly!

Options
  • 22-11-2011 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

www.destructoid.com/the-sun-warns-world-of-xbox-cyber-fraud--216337.phtml

Funny post about an article about an article that has a link to the original story that wrote about an article.
    Sh!tty tabloid The Sun has a CRIME EXCLUSIVE on its front page, warning Britain of a terrifying new problem -- Xbox Cyber Fraud!

While the Sun claims thieves have "hacked" into Xbox Live accounts, it's nowhere near as scary. It's actually the same kind of phishing scam that most smart gamers (and Internet users in general) should already be aware of. Basically, enterprising criminals ask users for credit card and personal details in exchange for things like free Microsoft points. Obviously, there are no free points, and the idiot user has just taken part in his own robbery.

Of course, since you'd have to be a moron to believe anything printed in The Sun, I dare say the paper's readers are exactly the kind of people who need to be warned about phishing. It would be better for The Sun to warn people sensibly and effectively, but that would mean they can't use words like "cyber" and "hacking" in their articles, which isn't fun at all. All British tabloid journalists wish they were in The Matrix, you see.

Microsoft, for its part, promises that security is still of the "utmost importance" despite The Sun's SHOCKING exclusive story on the Cyberterror Hackvampires. This whole thing serves as the cue for an obvious reminder, though -- do not, under any circumstances, give your personal info to some random guy on Xbox Live, for crying out loud!

The Sun warns of 'Xbox cyber fraud' [CVG]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

That is totally untrue. Those nice chaps are going to send me those points any day now..........

Excuse me while i fill in this winners form i got from the spanish lottery, i am just so lucky because i have never even set foot in spain to begin with!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

on a serious note though, give me your credit card details and ill give you free MS points.

seriously?? People who fall for that deserve to be scammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

• Registered Users Posts: 22,184 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Yea like that newspaper can give off about cyber crime after what some of its "reporters" did with phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

People are idiots, throw rocks at them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

The plot thickens? Or is it just Destructoid creating a sh!t storm between the Sun and Xbox?

http://www.destructoid.com/the-sun-accuses-microsoft-of-xbox-cyber-fraud--216446.phtml

The Sun's cabal of sleazy liars hate being dismissed, and when they've got an axe to grind, they've demonstrated they'll pursue their victims with frightening obsession. Microsoft is the latest target, with the tabloid accusing it of a "cover up" after earlier claims of Xbox Live hack attacks were brushed off.

"Dozens of angry readers contacted [us] to tell how crooks bought Microsoft Points on their accounts to trade on to users in countries like China, Nigeria and Russia -- even though they didn't pass on any personal details or visit phishing websites." said the Sun, ignoring the fact that nobody would admit to being stupid enough to hand their personal details to a phisher.

The Sun backed up its "exclusive" story by taking old news reports from October, concerning FIFA 12 and phishing attempts committed on Xbox Live and EA.com. Wow, that's an amazing "exclusive" there!

Microsoft has yet again denied that Xbox Live has been hacked, but stated that it's examining Xbox Live refund policies for those who have been phished. Meanwhile, the Sun will continue to do what it does best -- be ****.

Now The Sun claims 'Xbox fraud cover up'... But it's still old news [CVG]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ah The Sun..... I used to read it while I drank Stella and wore a wife beater vest and sat expelling the previous nights kebab / curry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

calex71 wrote: »
    Ah The Sun..... I used to read it while I drank Stella and wore a wife beater vest and sat expelling the previous nights kebab / curry :D

Yeah but people are stupid enough to believe the smut in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

The conspiracy theorist in me would like to think that this is Sony exerting influence somewhere back up the chain. Think about it, Im sure at some point all of us have worked in retail. The concerned parent about to buy the expensive games console, but then alludes to something they read in a nameless high brow broadsheet (we all embellish a little!) about cyberhacking uploading credit card fishermen. "I think I'll just buy the other console, you know, the one that HASN'T been in the news in at least 2 months for a similar hacking scandal"...

Tin foil hat back on firmly..

Advertisement