Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls, what do you appreciate as christmas gifts?

Options
  • 22-11-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

1st year college student and in a group of friends, maybe 7 or 8 of us. Half are girls and the other half are lads.

I'm wondering what do girls generally appreciate for christmas presents? And just to note I'm not going out with any of the girls in our group so its a friends sort-of-thing.

Is it ok to just get girls christmas cards with money? I really have no idea what a girl likes for christmas and I have no intentions of being extravagent with this that would be trying too hard. Its just something small and simple I need to get for the three girls and maybe four.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

karaokeman wrote: »
    Is it ok to just get girls christmas cards with money?

Dude, coming from a guy, don't do this!

Anything is better than this. Even vouchers are better than this and vouchers are terrible (but acceptable if you don't really know the girl I guess).

Money is a no no!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Agree with MrStuffins, definitely don't give money or buy vouchers. Unimaginative and lazy IMO. What kinda money do you want to spend on each and roughly what ages are the girls ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

jos28 wrote: »
    Agree with MrStuffins, definitely don't give money or buy vouchers. Unimaginative and lazy IMO. What kinda money do you want to spend on each and roughly what ages are the girls ?

Thanks for the responses guys.

I've ruled out money and I will try my best to find gifts really small but something where the thought will count.

If I can't find anything I will go for vouchers. Also if I do go for vouchers they will be like a €10 each, I know it would be a bit OTT if I spend anymore when I do have to get a present for everyone.

The girls are about 17 to 19 in terms of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I think a fancy pot of body butter is a lovely gift. The body shop do fab stuff, and its well known they're quite expensive to getting one tib of body butter for €15 quid might LOOK cheap, but the girls will know it wasn't. You could splash out for a set if you wanted to too.

I don't think a voucher is a bad idea. I've only ever gotten 3 as gifts and I loved them! Can't afford to go shopping, its great having the excuse. Just make it personal by getting it for a shop you know they love.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I agree with the last poster and reckon that most girls would appreciate tubs of nice products. Look in Boots too cos they do really good buy 3 for the price of 2 gift sets. They are not all cosmetics, they include lovely big cappucino mugs filled with chocolates. Things that I have bought in that price range include a giant wine glass that holds an entire bottle of wine. I got it in Argos for about €7 and gave a cheap bottle of Lidl wine with it. I also bought the Dublin Fire Brigade calendar(full of hunky fire men) which is great because proceeds go to charity. The girls in work love these socks http://www.toesocksupplier.com/.
    There are some really cool hats around town at the moment too.
    Newbridge do some really nice Christmas ornaments for under a tenner
    http://www.newbridgesilverware.com/gift/XMASHANG/ChristmasHangingDecorations
    You still have time to order stuff on line so you could pick up some bargains. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

some nice costume jewellery, you can pick up some bits in the likes of awear or new look or dunnes. varying prices from 3-4 euro up to bout 15 ish.

yankee candles samplers or tartlets (if they have a house/apt/flat of their own)

hats/scarves/gloves from penneys/dunnes.

a nice wallet from penneys/dunnes

nail varnish set from any chemist or even penneys/awear.

hot water bottle with a nice cover.

nice hardback notebook (try easons and the like)

bottle of their fav drink? (or a minature set if its spirits)

btw, its a lovely gesture to buy for your whole group.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

If you are near marks and spencer they have some products in the bath/beauty section for half price or buy one get second half price.
    I recently got 5 Florentyna Favourites Collection Gift Set and 10 ml of Florentyna perfume for under €10 euro. This is a nice perfume.
    Many girls and woman I know like is the Floral Collection Magnolia scent.
    The M and S Royal Jelly hand cream is the best cheap hand cream you can buy. I think it is about €3 a tube.
    Another thing you could get is phone credit/some scratch cards or how about €10 voucher from dunnes or tesco to help get food/booze after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Stuff from Paperchase is lovely. Paper based gifts! Diary, Notebooks, Photo albums. You can get nice little things from a tenner. There is one in the basement of Awear on Grafton Street (opposite Bewleys) and there's one in Arnotts downstairs near the escalators.
    Good luck!

Advertisement