Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on moving to dublin

Options
  • 22-11-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Typical clueless country person moving to Dublin! Trying to narrow down my searches...can anyone tell me - if you're working in city center which is better - Drumcondra, Rathmines, Clontarf, in terms of easy transport into town (day and night), being ok to walk around/safe, being not too expensive...etc...I heard Clontarf is nice but hard to get back to after a night out...?
    Appreciate any advice guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Rathmines or Drumcondra would be the handiest for getting into town,Clontarf is nice but a bit further out and has the Dart too,but that wouldn't be much use to you coming back from a night out.

They're all relatively safe area's if you keep your wits about you,I wouldn't really recommend walking alone at night in any city though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I'd recommend Rathmines if it's your first time coming to Dublin. I lived in rathmines/rathgar for a few years when i first moved to Dublin and I loved it. Great bus service as most buses heading into towards St Stephens Green or dame St go throught Rathmines. It's also walkable. I don't think it's safe anywhere walking on your own late at night but I would often walk to the pub in rathmines and back with my other half and there was never any problems.
    We also walked from Wexford St to Ratmines but again I wouldn't do it on my own.
    It's nice around the kennilworth Square area. I also have a friend who lives off leinster Rd and he's lived there for about 15 years......he loves the area

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What part of the city center are you talking about, north side or south side? The city center ain't a small place. I live in town, in the IFSC (behind Connolly Station) and walking over to Grafton St still takes about 25 mins. It is ok during the day, but late in the evening or at night, walking home down Abbey St/Talbot St or along the quays can be a bit dodgy, Thankfully the Luas means I don't have to.

Drumcondra and Clontarf may not be the best bet if you working/socializing over on the southside Grafton St/Stephens Green end of town. Rathmines may not be your best bet if you are working/socializing at the O'Connell St end of town. I'd stick to living on the same side of the river where you'll be working/socializing, if at all possible. You'll have shorter walking distances and cheaper taxi fares over all.

Advertisement