Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reliable, fairly priced firewood?

Options
  • 22-11-2011 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Can anyone suggest a reliable supplier of good dry firewood for a stove, at a fair price? (I'm not looking for a knock-down deal, but correctly priced hardwood that's reliably dried.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You may help us out a bit. Where are you. General area will do. The east is big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Dublin city. But I've had wood delivered already from the midlands; I've also called around, including calling a supplier in Wicklow, who went all shy when I proposed dropping in to take a look at the wood before buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Shaw tree services in Dublin 20 sells logs by the bag and by the trailer. Not sure of his prices but he is going years and have not heard a bad word about him.

Give him a ring and see what he can offer you. I know for certain he does sell a range of wood.

Shaw tree services.

Thanks, I'll go out and take a look at Shaw Tree Services. Their ad doesn't mention wood, so it doesn't have prices or type of wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

What's reliable firewood?

• Advertisement

Answer a: the kind that marries you and doesn't say "why keep a cow when you can get the milk for free."
    Answer b: dry, burning hot but not too fast; hardwood - ash or beech are good, though fruit woods can burn deliciously, and well-seasoned oak is good; it should be seasoned, not damp, and the moisture content should be no more than 25%, and preferably closer to 20%.
    Answer b/1: having found the above, it should remain the same standard in subsequent deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nickmax

Hi I live in ranelagh and through a friend of mine I met a chap with a small farm in wicklow. he delivered 5 big bags of softwood and 2 bags of hardwood for 76eur which i thought was maybe a lot but was actually really good value because it was really dry and well seasoned and he threw in a bag of kindling for free. his name was owen <Mod Snip - contact via PM>

nickmax wrote: »
    Hi I live in ranelagh and through a friend of mine I met a chap with a small farm in wicklow. he delivered 5 big bags of softwood and 2 bags of hardwood for 76eur which i thought was maybe a lot but was actually really good value because it was really dry and well seasoned and he threw in a bag of kindling for free. his name was owen <snip>

The fuel place under Emmet Bridge in Harold's Cross does those big bags - hardwood, which is better for burning and better for your chimney - for €8 per bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nickmax

wow. 8euro seems cheap alright must check it out. nice to get it delivered to your door though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There'a a lad in Lissenhall just north of Swords, I get Ash in 1.2m^3 bags off, he has Oak in crates also
    http://www.klfirelogs.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's a lad in Lissenhall just north of Swords, I get Ash in 1.2m^3 bags off, he has Oak in crates also
    http://www.klfirelogs.com/

Advertisement