Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there somewhere you can learn about MMO Terminology and phrases?

Options
  • 22-11-2011 6:24pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This may seem like a silly question, but as a total MMO n00b, I see a lot of terminology being used that I don't really understand. DPS - I get that, and I understand what a Tank is and I think I even get what drawing aggro means and what its in-game implications are, but it'd be really nice if there was an Idiots Guide to MMO Terminology somewhere that I could be reading whilst playing with the Star Wars beta and looking forward to the full release.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

This might help http://mmoterms.com/full-mmorpg-terms-glossary

Or just ask on here :)

Just checked, and not sure it's really complete.. BaF isn't there.. Bring A Friend, when mobs are connected, and if you pull one.. other will aggro also..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

It can be a tricky one as though there are a lot of terms that apply across MMO's, each new MMO will inevitably end up with a hell of a lot of it's own acronyms. Even for someone who plays a lot of MMO's it can take a while to get up to speed on what each term refers to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

You learn as you play anyway, if you don't know a specific term then ask, no shame in it as no one was born with the knowledge and probably had to ask at some stage anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Limericks wrote: »
    You learn as you play anyway, if you don't know a specific term then ask, no shame in it as no one was born with the knowledge and probably had to ask at some stage anyway!

Agreed, that glossary will certainly help but if you get stuck just ask and the vast majority of players will be happy to explain unless you're unfortunate enough to blunder into a nest of jerks.

Advertisement