Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing moss from tarmac.

Options
  • 22-11-2011 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

I have a problem with moss strrting to grow on the tarmac around the house. It's only in a couple of places but it's becoming unsightly. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

First roundup weedkiller then pressure wash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭mossie

cgarrad wrote: »

Thanks. Will try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭andy2die4

Dose moss on tarmac mean the tarmac is to thin and its pushing it's way up or is it growing on top of the tarmac?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Yard brush is effective too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

cgarrad wrote: »

Gallup will do the same job as Roundup but at half the price. So will Touchdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

andy2die4 wrote: »
    Dose moss on tarmac mean the tarmac is to thin and its pushing it's way up or is it growing on top of the tarmac?

no grows on top, same as on roofs and walls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

MossGo is cheaper again and is made for this type of problem, just dilute it in sprayer and spray. moss will die off and can then be removed easily with power wash. Then spray it again to stop it from re establishing, for a while at least !

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

round up wait till it starts dying and yard brush never used that gallup so dont know bout that if your using pressure washer dont bother with spraying first, but powerwasher will take years of the tarmac and if you get it between joints or gaps can lift the surface, regular yardbrushing is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

PaudyW wrote: »
    round up wait till it starts dying and yard brush never used that gallup

There are various brands of Glyphosate. Round Up is the original and probably the most expensive, Gallup is another and there are several more. You should shop around and compare prices.

andy2die4 wrote: »

It's on top. Seems to be where some soil was washed onto the tarmac by rain and is in the cracks.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I have gallup already so I'll try that, then the yardbrush. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

Nice wan mossie

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jc bamford

Glyphosate products such as Roundup Or Gallup will not kill moss when applied at the normal rate to kill off grass and weeds. You would be better going with a product like Mossgo which is chlorine based. Some people use Milking Machine detergent from the co op as a cheaper alternative (handle with care)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

jc bamford is right, round up is perfect for killing weeds, but is no good for killing moss, at least didnt work for me, i had use mossgo and he did good job on tarmac, you can mix it with water in sprayer and then spray in dry day, moss should get brown in about 2 weeks, then you can use yard brush to clean it, right now is getting colder outside, so it may not work that fast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

mossie wrote: »
    I have a problem with moss strrting to grow on the tarmac around the house. It's only in a couple of places but it's becoming unsightly. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Be very careful power washing it can scar the tarmac causing it to break up

Copper Sulphate also known as Bluestone kills moss, lasts for up to two years.

Is the organic treatment for potato blight and fire blight on apple,
    pear and cherry trees.

Can be bought at agri merchants, they'll give you a tub that costs approx
    20 euro but will last for a 100 years when applied at 3% a litre once a year
    to average 3 bed semi driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Be very careful power washing it can scar the tarmac causing it to break up

Copper Sulphate also known as Bluestone kills moss, lasts for up to two years.

Is the organic treatment for potato blight and fire blight on apple,
    pear and cherry trees.

Can be bought at agri merchants, they'll give you a tub that costs approx
    20 euro but will last for a 100 years when applied at 3% a litre once a year
    to average 3 bed semi driveway.

Zinc Sulphate known as white vittrol will also
    do the trick, it's used in animal footbaths.

The Zinc is probably better for most people
    as it comes in smaller quantities and can be
    bought in (most) pharmacies
    I bought 1kg before Christmas for €4.

Advertisement