Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folding bed

Options
  • 22-11-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I stole this design off a popular retailer website. I have built the main frame today and must go about doing the two side pieces tomorrow.

I am having difficulty picturing how I am going to get the two side pieces to fold down to 180 degrees so it can be used as an occasional guest bed. (this is a very important detail according to herself! :o)

Anyone any ideas?

Is there a type of locking hinge that would take the weight off someone leaning back on it reading a book or something as well as being able to lock when folding down flat?

Maybe it would be best done with some thick dowel that could have two places to be positioned - by physically moving it from one hole to another?

Pic attached.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Counter flap hinges might do the trick.
    see here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Thanks. Finished it yesterday anyway after much searching online came to nothing. The hinges I needed are/were "clic clac" hinges and could find no where that sold them other than Chinese websites.

What I did was bore two 1 inch holes either side of the bench and slid a 15/16" piece of dowel through. Drilled two tiny holes in the dowel to take a small pin either side to hold it in place. The sides of the seat stay up around 60-70 degree angle against this. When you take out the dowel the side of the chair falls back and locks against the main frame. Thus we have a day bed :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Sounds like a better solution.;)

Advertisement