Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ramdisk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭asif2011

It's cool that you can do this but I think it has a really limited use. You'll have to load possibly 16Gb (roughly the size of BF3) in to RAM each and every time you wanted to play it - or keep your machine on! 32Gb systems are really affordable now, but I'd still want as good a GPU as I could afford, that will effect games more...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I believe there is a way of creating a persistent ramdisk (Or at least that's what I am guessing from what was said in the video). This would be so amazing for video production as most bottlenecks I experience are actually in my storage setup... Except for actually rendering footage, but this would definitely help!

With HDD prices skyrocketing and the price of ram plummeting, this seems like a viable route for my next build, IF it proves to be usable.

Interesting stuff

This would be so amazing for video production as most bottlenecks I experience are actually in my storage setup... Except for actually rendering footage, but this would definitely help!
    What happens if the power goes? :D Better off getting RAID or SSD...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

asif2011 wrote: »
    It's cool that you can do this but I think it has a really limited use. You'll have to load possibly 16Gb (roughly the size of BF3) in to RAM each and every time you wanted to play it - or keep your machine on!

Hold up, if the SSD benched above reads at 100+ MB/s and the RAM writes at 7000+ MB/s, so if you had your 16Gb of BF3 on your SSD you could load it in about 2min 30sec, and then have pretty much instant everything ..? Or am I getting my numbers mixed up .?

Hmmm realized I had the read/ write mixed up and then I had another look at the figures, could someone tell me how long it would take to load 16Gb from the SSD to the RAM according to the bench in the above video ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

k.p.h wrote: »
    Hold up, if the SSD benched above write's at 100+ MB/s and the RAM reads at 5000+ MB/s, so if you had your 16Gb of BF3 on your SSD you could load it in about 2min 30sec, and then have pretty much instant everything ..? Or am I getting my numbers mixed up .?

If it works like I think it does, then yes!

• Advertisement

k.p.h wrote: »
    Hold up, if the SSD benched above write's at 100+ MB/s and the RAM reads at 5000+ MB/s, so if you had your 16Gb of BF3 on your SSD you could load it in about 2min 30sec, and then have pretty much instant everything ..? Or am I getting my numbers mixed up .?
    Yeah when you put it like that, you might be right. I don't think it effects FPS much though... I wouldn't be running anything mission critical on that RAMdisk personally...

Advertisement