Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Wirless Routers

Options
  • 22-11-2011 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have a 1GB broadband allowance usage from Eircom (living in a rural area so broadband line is slow) but have two wireless routers.
    The Ist router is the main one which I use all the time. However becuase I only have 1GB allowance I'm not able to download loads of music videos that I want to because I will run over my allowance.
    If i use the 2nd router which is not registered to Eircom, am I able to exceed the 1GB allowance? This would make it easy for me to download the music videos without having the worry of exceeding the allowance.
    Hope I have explained this right and any help would be grateful-thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

archie30 wrote: »
    I have a 1GB broadband allowance usage from Eircom (living in a rural area so broadband line is slow) but have two wireless routers.
    The Ist router is the main one which I use all the time. However becuase I only have 1GB allowance I'm not able to download loads of music videos that I want to because I will run over my allowance.
    If i use the 2nd router which is not registered to Eircom, am I able to exceed the 1GB allowance? This would make it easy for me to download the music videos without having the worry of exceeding the allowance.
    Hope I have explained this right and any help would be grateful-thanks
    You can use any router you want and it won't make any difference. Your DSL is with Eircom through the line not the router. If it were that simple everyone would be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

No the router is irrelevant.

It is the connection which is limited. 1GB seems rather small what package are you on?

Edit a bit slow typing only your post when I hit reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 archie30

So it doesnt matter what router I use, because its going through the Eircom phone-line, they'll still charge me if I go over the allowance.
    My allowance is 10GB, not 1GB as I wrote earlier.
    Is there any way around this that I can get over the 10GB usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

archie30 wrote: »
    So it doesnt matter what router I use, because its going through the Eircom phone-line, they'll still charge me if I go over the allowance.
    My allowance is 10GB, not 1GB as I wrote earlier.
    Is there any way around this that I can get over the 10GB usage?
    No it doesn't make a difference. The usage is recorded by Eircom at the server so it doesn't matter if your DSL came through a cornflake box. I don't use the modem Eircom gave me.

As far as I know to ask if there is a way around this is a breach of board regulations since trying to scam extra usage without paying for it is illegal, so be careful. I know you're new to boards.

The only way to increase your allowance is to contact Eircom and move to another package.

Without trying to sound too flippant I'm not sure why you think you have the right to find a way around your situation.

Advertisement