Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multiplayer query.

• 22-11-2011 8:44pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey people, im considering grabbing the full version of the game for my 9 year old son, he loves it and has being playing my account a lot lately.
    To be honest i got bored of the game after the initial wow factor,i havent played multiplayer at all in any shape or form but reckon it might be enjoyable if myself and the little lad hooked up together.
    I understand theres no server browser, is it easy enough for us to play together? btw we have 2 PCs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

You've a few options

1) You can either host your own private server yourself on one of the computers and their ip address using the Minecraft server jar located here

2) Both of you join a Minecraft server from one of the many Server list sites like mcserverlist, planetminecraft, Minestatus etc

3) If it's a server browser you're looking for, a third party client is available called SpoutCraft. It's a bit different to the regular minecraft client which is detailed here on the download page

There are a few server threads on this forum you should check out! Nice people and good variety

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks a lot guys, i think our own server might be a wise option.
    You reckon the game would be a lot better this way opposed to myself going it alone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

When you say going it alone do you mean going with a paid for service to setup your minecraft server vs setting one up at home?

If it's just the 2 of you sure set it up at home and only put it online when you need it to be. There's a lot of tutorials online that may be overwhelming at first but the most simplistic way I can think of that's relatively quick is to setup a VPN with Hamachi and go from there. It'll remove all that port forwarding work which was a pain when I first started my own server.

If you require any help with setting it up or anything PM me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Willbbz wrote: »
    When you say going it alone do you mean going with a paid for service to setup your minecraft server vs setting one up at home?

If it's just the 2 of you sure set it up at home and only put it online when you need it to be. There's a lot of tutorials online that may be overwhelming at first but the most simplistic way I can think of that's relatively quick is to setup a VPN with Hamachi and go from there. It'll remove all that port forwarding work which was a pain when I first started my own server.

If you require any help with setting it up or anything PM me

Going it alone as in playing alone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Dcully wrote: »
    Going it alone as in playing alone :)

For your 9 year old it will be much better t play with you than go it alone. you can build massive structures together and do it as a team. Set up the server on the better machine (which i assume is yours) and you both should be able to log on using the 192.16.1.? whatever the local IP of your machine is.

You never know what might happen after that. its how Tallon's server started anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Download the server from the website and set it up yourself. I had one like that and it could easily handle 5 people at once no problems.

All left to do then is record some videos and become famous on youtube.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Just to point out, if you are hosting the server from home and it's only you two using it, you will have 0 lag as it's running through the router and not the internet

Advertisement