Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy, Radiography or biomedical science?

Options
  • 22-11-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

next year im going to college and i know i always wanted to work in a health and science career.. but im not exactly sure which one i want..so i was wondering if any one could help me out and recommend any of these courses ..I would also like to know how much these careers would pay as i dont want to spend my 4 yrs studying very hard and then not having a well paid job out of it...all help would be appreciated!! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

gawdd wrote: »
    next year im going to college and i know i always wanted to work in a health and science career.. but im not exactly sure which one i want..so i was wondering if any one could help me out and recommend any of these courses ..I would also like to know how much these careers would pay as i dont want to spend my 4 yrs studying very hard and then not having a well paid job out of it...all help would be appreciated!! :D

if you want pay, do quantitative finance, or financial math, either one of those with some aspect of risk management and economics. the best way to make money is to own a bank, or work for someone who owns a bank.

if you want pay, do quantitative finance, or financial math, either one of those with some aspect of risk management and economics. the best way to make money is to own a bank, or work for someone who owns a bank.

Imported Guy, yet again you offer aboslutely NO help to an OP seeking advice. Will you EVER get on point for once in your life?

gawdd, if I were you I'd ultimately go for medicine. The job prospects for biomed, pharmacy and radiography are very poor at the moment. At least in this country. If you study like mad between now and June and go for Med, and healthcare is your calling, then go for it :)

gawdd, if I were you I'd ultimately go for medicine. The job prospects for biomed, pharmacy and radiography are very poor at the moment. At least in this country. If you study like mad between now and June and go for Med, and healthcare is your calling, then go for it :)

yup, and the prospects of medicine are great, 5-8 years of ruthless college (minimum) followed by around 30k pay while working obscene hours in the first year out of college (over 50-60 generally, around 80-100 in some cases) :/

yup, and the prospects of medicine are great, 5-8 years of ruthless college (minimum) followed by around 30k pay while working obscene hours in the first year out of college (over 50-60 generally, around 80-100 in some cases) :/

If med is so terrible why on earth are you going for GEM yourself then? It is the most fulfilling career on earth. My uncle's a GP, has a beautiful wife and 3 kids, works hard but LOVES his job. Every day is different, it's a tough, tough challenge, but he wouldn't do anything else for all the tea in China.

Sweetface wrote: »

If med is so terrible why on earth are you going for GEM yourself then? It is the most fulfilling career on earth. My uncle's a GP, has a beautiful wife and 3 kids, works hard but LOVES his job. Every day is different, it's a tough, tough challenge, but he wouldn't do anything else for all the tea in China.
    Me wanting to study medicine doesn't mean I want to become a doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

FWIW, i did biomed science and i know a lot of unemployed scientists. Many have also gone on to research (that's what im diong). Personally, I couldnt do the job in a hospital year after year but many people are happy with it. IF you want to work in a hosptial lab, the biomed sci is essential but it does set you up perfectly for a career in research if not.

Me wanting to study medicine doesn't mean I want to become a doctor.

What do you want to spend "5-8 years of ruthless college" to become instead then? Asking plainly out of curiosity. ;)

What do you want to spend "5-8 years of ruthless college" to become instead then? Asking plainly out of curiosity. ;)
    so i can get into a decent MBA program.

so i can get into a decent MBA program.
    Seems like a really roundabout way of doing it??? If you have the talent to do so why go the GEM route?

Also you'll be denying a genuine doctor a place on the course by getting in.

Seems like a really roundabout way of doing it??? If you have the talent to do so why go the GEM route?

if i had the resources i would be doing this

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/academics/jointdegree/HBS-HMS/mdmba.html
    The program's mission is to develop outstanding physician leaders, skilled in both medicine and management, to take positions of influence through which they will contribute substantially to the health and well-being of individuals and society
    Also you'll be denying a genuine doctor a place on the course by getting in.

its called competition, and its a part of capitalism, that genuine doctor just needs to be better than me to get in, capitalism has no place for 2nd bests.

• Advertisement

if i had the resources i would be doing this

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/academics/jointdegree/HBS-HMS/mdmba.html

its called competition, and its a part of capitalism, that genuine doctor just needs to be better than me to get in, capitalism has no place for 2nd bests.

Well I hope that in this competition you're 2nd best and the genuine doctor gets into the course over you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

ok folks, back on topic. take the discussion to pm if ye want to continue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Do pharmacy. Plenty of jobs here and abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

There are some other allied health professions that you haven't mentioned in your OP. Have you considered any of the following:
    physiotherapy
    occupational therapy
    speech and language therapy
    radiation therapy
    dietetics

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

OP I was in the same position as you when I did my LC in 08.
    I went to all of the open days, talked to as many people as I could and in the end I put down med-pharmacy-radiography-podiatry-biomed.

Regards jobs and the three that you mentioned, to the best of my knowledge you should be fine for pharmacy or radiography(not saying you will get a permanent job straight away but you should get some work). Biomed not so much as the people I know who did that didnt go into employment straight away, they did more college after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pineapple123

Radiography is a great course and profession.. the material is interesting, the class is small (around 40), the facilities are top-class (Health Sciences in UCD), the lecturers are so nice and would go to the end of the world for you.. there's plenty of time in hospital from first year onwards.. it sounds daunting but it's great fun, and you start off at the basics - a wrist x-ray, or lateral knee, and progress to taking Brain CT's and doing a trauma series on Road Traffic victims.. There's opportunities to travel abroad during the course.. There are several different specialities to dip into when qualified - CT, MRI, Ultrasound, Nuclear Medicine, and of course, many continue on to study graduate medicine. The class of 2010/11 (last years graduates) are currently ALL employed.. granted it might not be permanent contracts, but I doubt there are many courses that have that statistic! Good luck in what ever you choose! Any questions, PM me!! Happy to help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I second Radiography. As well as what Pineapple said, it's a job that keeps you reasonably fit as you are on the move all day and it is far more family friendly in the future years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

I've been a radiographer for last 18 months. I was one of the 2010 class in ucd and haven't been out of work since. So in that way it's all good. However with the imminent arrival of 8-8 working day and massive cuts in on call hours i wouldn't advise anyone to do radiography at the minute. Medicine is the way to go if it's something you really want to do. No point messing about doing the degree and then going for grad entry. Fees are extortionate in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DN1

Not, many jobs in science, well not many unless you have the relevant industrial experience. Science jobs are also generally poorly paid. Pharmacy and radiology are generally strong careers, or at least traditionally they were. Of course medicine is by far the best in terms of career prospects, but you did not mention this as one of your options.

DN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I have heavily considered all of these courses and have all 3 down on my cao too :)

Pharmacy - I love chemistry Biology etc. reading through the course content and going to the open day talks on it make the course seem super interesting. I don't know if I actually want to be a pharmacist, I'm not so entrepreneurial or whatever, personally.

Radiography - I like school physics so course itself should be interesting. It seems like a nice enough job, when I was at the hopspital somebody came into the radiographer I was with and said "There's one more we need you to see actually" ( I assume I was her last appointment/scan of the day) her reply was "No, i'm finished so i'm going home now." :P I doubt there's too many other hospital employees with that luxury! :pac:

Biomedical science - I'v only looked into the one at UCD, I don't know what job prospects are like as outlined here. But when I was at the open day they were really, really stressing that they wanted more people to go into further research after the 4 years. And that they had made serious attempts into putting the resource into place for anybody who does want to study further. And it seemed exciting anyway they mentioned in particular HIV treatment, cancer research, Parkinsons disease - all that good stuff. So it's very relevant, and i'd imagine worthwhile and fulfilling.

Hope that helps OP, i'm in the same situation :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

dietetics

I don't recommend this. My brother is qualified, and there is so little work! He's currently in Australia - working on the buildings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I have heavily considered all of these courses and have all 3 down on my cao too :)

Pharmacy - I love chemistry Biology etc. reading through the course content and going to the open day talks on it make the course seem super interesting. I don't know if I actually want to be a pharmacist, I'm not so entrepreneurial or whatever, personally.

Radiography - I like school physics so course itself should be interesting. It seems like a nice enough job, when I was at the hopspital somebody came into the radiographer I was with and said "There's one more we need you to see actually" ( I assume I was her last appointment/scan of the day) her reply was "No, i'm finished so i'm going home now." :P I doubt there's too many other hospital employees with that luxury! :pac:

Biomedical science - I'v only looked into the one at UCD, I don't know what job prospects are like as outlined here. But when I was at the open day they were really, really stressing that they wanted more people to go into further research after the 4 years. And that they had made serious attempts into putting the resource into place for anybody who does want to study further. And it seemed exciting anyway they mentioned in particular HIV treatment, cancer research, Parkinsons disease - all that good stuff. So it's very relevant, and i'd imagine worthwhile and fulfilling.

Hope that helps OP, i'm in the same situation :o
    Just so you're aware, biomed sci in UCD /won't/ qualify you to work in a hospital laboratory. But biomed is a solid foundation for a research career.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

As a pharmacist you can work anywhere in the pharmaceutical industry from conception of a drug right all the way through to when it's given to the patient. You don't have to be a community pharmacist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Tree wrote: »
    Just so you're aware, biomed sci in UCD /won't/ qualify you to work in a hospital laboratory. But biomed is a solid foundation for a research career.
    True, very difficult, but you could try your luck in the UK after degree and hope a hospital takes you on at an entry level, whilst completing what you need to qualify for IBMS registration (which in turn would qualify you to work in Ireland I believe, correct if wrong)

But very few people get accepted this way, so don't set out with this as a goal.

I'm doing an MSc Biomed Sci because I love it. Probably for further study/research. If you can look at your work and be happy to take it home and work/read on it for a further few hours most evenings then it's the career for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gawdd

thank you very much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lil2012

gawdd wrote: »

Hey, I'm doing Pharmacy so thought I might help a little :) In the middle of exams and procrastinating big time!! Pharmacy is a very hard course to be honest, so you really have to be prepared to go through a pretty tough 4 years. Saying that though, I feel like its a great degree. It gives you a lot of options when you're finished - community, hospital, industry and there's the regulatory side of things too. There's a lot of jobs out there too. I don't know anyone in the years above me who are stuck for work or anything! Pharmacology, medicinal chemistry and pharmaceutics are the 3 main subjects really. There's a lot of chemistry labs, pharmaceutics labs and dispensing practicals. It's pretty stressful really but if you want a challenge in college then go for it :) Pharmacy is changing big time, especially seeing as influenza vaccinations and the 'Morning After Pill' are now being given at the pharmacists discretion. It's nice to be given a bit of responsibility with the amount we have t learn in college and hopefully this side of things will continue to change. I've made great friends in my class too. I'm gutted to be leaving them all after these exams as I'm going home to do my intern year. I've loved it so maybe you would too haha.. :) Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Fert94

Does radiography get quite boring after a while? I'm doing my leaving cert next year and it's either radiography or medicine for me, but I've heard that Radiography can become quite monotonous?

Also is there very much physics involved in the course? I didn't take physics for Leaving Cert and I'm moving down to pass maths in September (I'm able for HL but it's taking up too much study time :( )
    Would it be unrealistic of me to try Radiography if there's lots of maths & physics involved?

Thanks,
    Fert B)

Advertisement