Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not much point in locking your doors...

Options
  • 22-11-2011 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

when the feckers just jemmy your windows open.

My neighbours were robbed last Saturday evening. I realise we live on a quiet cul-de-sac but the thieves had a bit of a brass neck prising open the front window of the house which had no car outside but had the lights on, plus there was a dog inside (useless but very loveable dog). There have been lots of similar house robberies in the last few days according to the guards. They seem to be looking for money rather than goods as they bypass laptops, cameras and other portable stuff.

Time to invest in window alarms. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

when the feckers just jemmy your windows open.

My neighbours were robbed last Saturday evening. I realise we live on a quiet cul-de-sac but the thieves had a bit of a brass neck prising open the front window of the house which had no car outside but had the lights on, plus there was a dog inside (useless but very loveable dog). There have been lots of similar house robberies in the last few days according to the guards. They seem to be looking for money rather than goods as they bypass laptops, cameras and other portable stuff.

Time to invest in window alarms. :(
    I don't know how anyone doesn't have alarms these days, our alarm is set up to ring peoples mobiles after ours to let them know the alarm is going off, have 4 cctv camera's about the house and we live out in the country!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Laptops, cameras and other portable stuff are ten-a-penny and not worth lifting. We've nothing worth nicking in our place (they'd probably be doing us a favor if they did) but have alarm and cameras.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Which housing estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Heard of this happening about a month ago around Ardnore in another cul de sac.

Forced open a front door and broke through a back window of another house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I find much better than an alarm is a battered old sofa left in front of the house. If you have room, an old car on blocks is good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Glendine Heights but also others this side of town.

I have a very growly dog who probably works better than an alarm. At least he's on the spot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

You think thats brass necked.

A friend of ours was home last week with all the lights on and they broke the barrel
    of the lock in on the front door to gain access and when confronted in the porch were
    threatened , "If they reported it to the Gards they'd come back and burn the house
    down while they were asleep"

It went unreported.

****ing disgrace these scumbags are let away with it. If i was in charge i'd be
    taking the strong hand off at the bone and then have them charged. If convicted
    they get a free Vasectomy so they cant breed any more scum. Only thing these
    scumbags understand is brute force

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

My sisters house was broke into in Clongowan a few months ago. They snapped the cylinder on the front door to gain access. Took all her jewellery and any cash in the house. Those f***ing Cash for Gold shops are encouraging these types of robberies. Easy turnover of stolen goods!!! She got a new Snap Safe cylinder on her front door, which stops people snapping the cylinder in the future. Very good product - I got one myself, picked it up in Bretts.

You think thats brass necked.

A friend of ours was home last week with all the lights on and they broke the barrel
    of the lock in on the front door to gain access and when confronted in the porch were
    threatened , "If they reported it to the Gards they'd come back and burn the house
    down while they were asleep"

It went unreported.

I find this very unnerving and scary. It means that you can't relax/feel safe in your own home any more.

My daughter was 'manhandled' by some belligerent, drunken sorry excuse for a man on Rose Inn Street at the weekend at 7pm. If I could find him I would do some very damaging things to him. Luckily she only got a bad fright. Am I look forward to the years ahead of staying awake worrying, like my mother stayed awake because I was out but with good cause, when she's out later in town in the years to come.

I'm with Dublinstiofán on the brute force being the only thing some people understand. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I have a Canadian friend who can't understand why I'm so worried about being robbed, lets just say people in my area are into their security.

My boyfriends house got robbed when he was about 12 they took everything they could, wreaked the place even took a **** on the bed... but that wasn't his bed..
    His bed wasn't made and his guitar was lying under the duvet the only thing of value that wasnt taken

now think twice before you give out to your children about not making their bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Glendine Heights but also others this side of town.

I have a very growly dog who probably works better than an alarm. At least he's on the spot. :D

probably not a good idea telling the world that theres another house in glendine heights with no alarm. :pac:

Noalarm Close but also others this side of town.

probably not a good idea telling the world that theres another house in Noalarm Close with no alarm. :pac:

I'm getting the second alarm next week. The best entertainment in my house is when the dog spots guys dropping leaflets into letter boxes. He lies in wait just inside the front door and when the person approaches the letter box he jumps up on his hind legs and tries to get to them through the glass growling and barking. I've seen the chaps do the long jump backwards. One of them has an Olympic future ahead of him if his heart doesn't give out first. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

If you live in an estate or somewhere with neighbours you could get something like this: Motion Sensor Alarm.
    It's very easy to self install and these are VERY LOUD. Stick it in the hallway or on the stairs. It just might give you peace of mind when you are sleeping considering the rising amount of robberies happening when victims are in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

A surprising amount of burgularies happen round 5 in the evening kind of time. Like...loads. You wouldn't believe it.

A friend of mine arrived home one evening to see a guy acting suspicious at her front door... obviously looking for a way in. When she asked him what the fk he was at he just smirked and said 'oh sorry wrong house'.

Advertisement