Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing my hearing

Options
  • 22-11-2011 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hey all.
    Ive been losing my hearing since I was a teenager but it's really declined in the last 4 years. Im now unable to enjoy a drink in the bar as I simply cant hear conversation. Im worried for my future re work and everything. The thought of wearing a hearing aid is pretty depressing. Ive been to ENTs etc and it looks like this will be a part of my future. I also have tinnitus but thankfully its not v bad. Id like to hear from people in similar situations.
    How have you managed re the loss and getting aids? Im holding out a small hope that stem cell researring something positive but that could be a long way off.
    I think I wouldnt find it so bad if the condition was more discreet but wearing aid makes you stand out like a sore thumb. I think it will be hard to secure work.
    Anyway Ive prob been negative here but I guess thats what happens with somethkng like this. look any feedback, hope would be great.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Joe, I'm sorry you have hearing problems, I am in the same situation as you in terms of degree of hearing loss. I'm in an older age group, but the problems are the same.

First, do you wear glasses? Would you be as upset about having to wear them? Hearing aids are just that, to help you hear. If you need them you wear them, just as you would with glasses.

The days of obvious and conspicuous hearing aids are long gone. I don't bother whether people know I wear a hearing aid and anyone who finds out usually reacts with - 'I never knew you wore a hearing aid'. And I have very short hair with nothing to disguise it. Think bionic here - it is a tiny little computer, very sophisticated - my audiologist can connect mine to his computer and know which programs I mostly use, how long for, and can adjust it minutely for different conditions. If you feel so inclined you can do lots of tecky bragging! :D

I will be the first to admit they take a while to get used to, think in terms of 6 months before you are getting maximum benefit from them, they have to be adjusted several times as you get used to them.

Obviously perfect hearing would be ideal, but things happen, you need to be able to hear, so a hearing aid is a no-brainer. What kind of work do you do that it would stop you getting work? It should not make a difference under most circumstances.

If you need them, go for it, how can it be worse than not being able to take part in conversations or looking blank when someone speaks to you? Keep in touch with us and let us know how you are getting on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

There's nothing to be embarresed about OP. My cousin wears a hearing aid due to an accident as a child and you can't even see the device it's soooo small. I wouldn't care what other people think too, remember don't put your life on hold because of other peoples ignorance.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

Faith+1 wrote: »
    remember don't put your life on hold because of other peoples ignorance.

+1 millions of people need help with their sight just like you need some help with your hearing, anyone that has a problem with it isnt worth worrying about;)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Don't know about Ireland, but where I live(on the continent) you can get really small hearing aids that you can barely if not at all see and they work just as well as the bigger ones. it might be worth looking into that as it could make your life a bit more comfortable for now?

Mine is one of the over the ear ones, you get better options for hearing with them. No-one notices it. A tiny clear, fine tube goes up the front of my ear and a little comma shaped thing sits behind the ear, about 2 cm long and about a half cm high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭gmac102

I have an aid I wear when my hearing gets so bad I personally get fed up saying what what what, not wearing it at times is more trouble than its worth.

Im 30, female and I have a pretty good social life, I go out with my aid at times if I feel I need it.

I was told the older I get the worse my hearing will get also, Ive accepted it cos Ive known it pretty much all my life, you will be ok. Look at me I do great even without my aid... my frnds prefer it when I wear it lol thats true

My crappy hearing doesnt stop me doing anything, and it shouldnt stop you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

First off, there is nothing to be embarrassed about, you won't stick out like a sore thumb, as others mentioned, there are discreet hearing aids which you can get but are expensive yes but if you are concious of wearing big ones, then the small ones or in ear ones are the way to go.

I recommend you getting the hearing aids now, as the longer you put it off, the worse you will be able to cope with them. If you get used to them now while you still have your hearing, it be much better in the long run.

How old are you BTW?

I am 22 and not once have I been asked an adult what is that behind my ear. People are much more open these days. The only time I was asked the question of what is that behind my ear was when I was in primary school, naturally children are curious but adults have a lot more cop on that you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Joe222

Thanks for all the replies. I'm in my mid 30s. I am a secondary teacher with no job. I know people have said wearing a hearing aid shouldn't bother me, but the truth is it will bother me myself. I know now that my future will involve wearing one and I guess I will just have to get used to it. I have no doubt it will affect my ability to get work. That's inevitable. Employers will be wary. But again I'll just have to get on with it. I'm hoping I'll be able to get one of the CIC aids, as this is very discreet. Anybody out there wearing one of these? Would love to hear more info.
    I'd love if there was the possibility of stem cell therapy, but it seems like it is a long way off with no guarantees.
    My hearing loss is in the family, but they never had aids and were working in noisy environments, so the connection wasn't really made. Mine had been v gradual but in the last 3 years it has plummeted. Now I find it v difficult to hear TV unless up close and it's v clear. I find pubs impossible and rooms with high ceilings, gyms or player dressing rooms. I also have a constant ringing in the ears. I relate this to the loss and I can distinctly remember the night lying in bed when it came on and hasn't disappeared since. But it's not too bad, only noticeable when things get bit quiet around me. I do find though that it adds to the stress, especially when you are lying in bed at night worrying about it.

I think my biggest difficulty is the attention it brings and the inevitable questions people will constantly ask and the stares I guess. Especially when you are always going to be bumping into people who you haven't met in a while. Without being too despondent I think my biggest fear is that I will become less social, afraid of social events. I would never have been a person with that super confidence anyway and I think in some ways my hearing loss is adding to this, making it more difficult in certain situations.
    However, I guess I'm lucky to be living in an era where good hearing aids are available. At least there is that option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

nokia lady wrote: »
    my hearing is going too.particularly in last few yrs..but i wouldnt wear a hearing aid unless it couldnt be seen?...why cant the make aids that fit inside the ear and cant be seen?..if they made one id wear it!!

They do make them. :) Take a look at the picture below. :)

Joe, with regard to your being a secondary teacher. I am a teacher with a hearing aid, and another teacher where I am has two hearing aids. It isn't a problem unless you let it be one. Neither of us has made any secret of the fact that we wear hearing aids.

I agree there can be some odd ideas about people who have hearing loss - equating deaf with daft I suppose. But no-one makes an issue of glasses and it really is up to you to decide whether you want to make a life-long affliction of it, or just get on with things. Quite apart from the fact that it would be illegal to refuse you a job on the basis of wearing hearing aids, I really can't imagine it being a problem. It would look much more peculiar to sit there unable to hear what was happening when you have the option of wearing a hearing aid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 buzzybb

I have had hearing aids since I was 6 and it has only made my life better not worse so look at it that way. My speech is perfect so there is no obvious reason that people could see something wrong (same for you)...trust me it will take time to adjust but you will realise its all stress over nothing. Deaf awareness is becoming more common these days and trust me you can use it for alot of excuses so think of the upside!! lol I am hard of hearing yet I am studying to be an interpreter for the Deaf which requires people with hearing to become that and I qualify for that so dont let it hold you back and think of the advantages and how much easier your life will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I agree with what everyone here says. Not trying to psycho-analyse but I think your issue regarding the hearing aids is not actually with the aids themselves but your own insecurities and letting fears about what other people might think of you preventing you from making the correct choices. I would have far more insecurity about being in a packed noisy room and not hearing what people said rather than wearing aids in the noisy room and perfectly hearing what everyone says. No adult with half an IQ will mock you for wearing them or stare at you. You may get occasional comments like "I never knew you wore hearing aids" or "are you finding it much easier to hear with them" etc all of which are perfectly fine questions/comments and not a slight on you.

You would be denying yourself a major quality of life improvement by maintaining a stance of avoiding the aids. Not trying to make you more self concious but I'm sure there have been many occasions where you missed or didn't hear what people said, possibly walked by people not realising they addressed you, missed out on banter and craic in social settings or answered questions inappropriately because you misheard the question. Such scenarios would draw the attention of others far more than you wearing something minature and not noticeable to 95% of people.

Finally, as others said, it would not adversely affect job prospects as a teacher. I would however expect not addressing your hearing with the help of aids may be more of a threat to your career (kids complaining to their parents and in turn principal that you were not listening to them, mis-hearing verbal instructions given to you by management/inspectors etc.

I got mine almost 5 years ago - best thing ever. Less than 5 people (and I work in a large organisation) have ever passed comment and always in a pleasant manner. They really are the same as wearing specs. No one will think any less of you whether you wear them quite visible or not. Be brave and make the right choice. Your quality of life will improve immediately...but not if you let your insecurities dictate your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Joe222 wrote: »
    Employers will be wary.
    I just don't tell them that I have them in both ears. I worked with someone for a year before they noticed it, as it was in my ear, and was the same colour as my skin. Heck, not having a hearing aid will go against you, as you'll be saying "pardon, could you repeat that" in the interview.

Your hearing doesn't sound (no pun intended) that bad, so you should be able to get a "in the ear" hearing aid.

Oh, and glasses are way more visible than hearing aids.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Joe222

Thanks for the replies. My hearing isn't v bad but certain things are becoming difficult. The tv is very difficult from any distance unless the sound is v clear like when the news is being read. I would find films etc v hard.
    I know people have said you wouldn't/shouldn't be discriminated by an employer but I think you only get that leeway when you are already with an employer. I know they can't discriminate but we all know employers can find the means.
    Anyway I realise I will need them at some stage. It's just that I'm worried about the perception but isn't that the same with everybody in different situations.
    I would hope that I could use the In the Ear/Completely in the Canal aids. However, my audiologist already told me that my canals are quite narrow and thus there is the possibility that I may not be suitable.
    Can anyone tell me what it's like in terms of managing with them. Batteries, maintenance, repairs etc. Also I'm thinking if it started to rain/started to sweat are these problems for the aids.
    I hope one day that the aids will be sophisticated enough to be inserted under the skin and be replaced only every few years or something like that. It would mean you could swim, play sports and do all normal activities. Let's hope.
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kymaly

Mod. Double post

Advertisement