Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Sub Plot

Options
  • 22-11-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

In all of the Star Trek incarnations there have been sub plots and Mcguffins that help forward the underlying story arcs in the show. These usually got an episode to play out their story. For Example; The Iconians or those subspace lifeforms that experimented on the crew when they were sleeping.

What was your favourite Sub Plot that you would have loved the writers to expand on and explore further and why...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not so much a sub plot, but i'd love to have seen them expand on the Coming of Age/Conspiracy plot, where Starfleet had been infiltrated by aliens. Admiral Quinn and Remmick and their weird parasite things that crawled down their throats.

After killing Remmick, Data poined out that he had been transmitting a signal to deep space, and that it could lead more of the aliens to Earth. Would have been nice to see a larger arc to that, where Starfleet was severely compromised.

Was great to see a darker tone to TNG though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Kiith wrote: »
    Not so much a sub plot, but i'd love to have seen them expand on the Coming of Age/Conspiracy plot, where Starfleet had been infiltrated by aliens. Admiral Quinn and Remmick and their weird parasite things that crawled down their throats.

After killing Remmick, Data poined out that he had been transmitting a signal to deep space, and that it could lead more of the aliens to Earth. Would have been nice to see a larger arc to that, where Starfleet was severely compromised.

Those aliens horrified me as a kid but now I think it makes sense that they never came back, as they were weak crustacean like creatures at the end of the day. An inspiration for the crab people methinks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I agree that the aliens themselves weren't great (as you, freaked me out as a kid though), but i loved the idea that an alien race could potentially infiltrate the Federation. Would have liked a longer arc with a larger infiltration.

Was reading the Wiki page earlier, and originally it wasn't parasitic aliens, but a coup within Starfleet. Rodenberry was totally against it though, as it went against his 'Humanity has evolved' philosophy. They did use the idea for DS9 though, in Homefront/Paradise Lost (great episode btw). They also suggested that they might have been the precursor to the Borg.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mister_h

I do love the unedited episode of that, were they blow Remmicks head off. Class

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I really liked the suggestion in Insurrection that there was growing corruption within the Federation Council. Take away all the silly humour and Insurrection could have been a great film. Imagine if, instead of the Son'a, Picard had been forced to take up arms against another Starfleet ship, leading into a larger multi-film arc which would have pitted Picard against powerful forces at the top of the Federation and Starfleet hierarchy. But unfortunately it got blamed on another evil-Admiral-gone-rogue and was never mentioned again.

Oh and what about the sub-plot involving half of Janeway's crew being a bunch of terrorists? They never really went anywhere with that, did they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Oh and what about the sub-plot involving half of Janeway's crew being a bunch of terrorists? They never really went anywhere with that, did they?

Tuvok made them do a few laps of the ship with backpacks on & everything was sorted :cool::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Did you read the DS9 relaunch book, Unity? The parasites are on DS9. Non-canon obviously but imo it's a good read.

PS: If you look it up on Amazon, don't scroll down - spoilers

The Orion Syndicate could have made cool story arc in DS9. They were only featured in Honor Among Thieves and Prodigal Daughter. Think of it, the Orion Syndicate could have been supplying the Dominion or the Breen with bioweapons, rare elements or some other macguffin. Maybe there could have been another episode where things are going so badly they try to get their services. I know this was done with the Romulans, but this could have been a completely different ethical dilemma.

Advertisement