Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of Loading bays on william st

• 22-11-2011 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

is becoming a joke for couriers, ive seen 5 different couriers moved on
    in the past week, how are shops supposed to get their goods :confused:

a lot of the shops on william st i would assume need constant replenishing of stock and could be in danger of losing out on business if they cant receive their goods, surely to god a loading bay or two could have been allocated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Seamus Butler likes to use the road as his loading bay! :mad:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Entire street seems to be a loading bay in the morning. There are a couple of bays I think, but usually full of cars. Start towing those guys and you'll have some space.

And halve the taxi rank during the day. I don't know what they think we're up to with a dozen cabs waiting at every rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

MarkR wrote: »
    Entire street seems to be a loading bay in the morning. There are a couple of bays I think, but usually full of cars. Start towing those guys and you'll have some space.

And halve the taxi rank during the day. I don't know what they think we're up to with a dozen cabs waiting at every rank.

in the afternoons the drivers cant pull up anywhere, as you said anywhere
    a van can get in theres a car parked up, and as for the taxi ranks, stupid
    amout of space the have, it should be a 4 bay rank and thats it.

no wonder business are hot-tailing it to retail parks and the crescent

was my 1st time in the city in about 6 months, granted the street looks
    nice, but if this continues it will be a nice looking ghost town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I used to regularly deliver and collect from a shop on Thomas street and it was and still is impossible to find a loading bay that goes not have cars parked in it.
    Traffic wardens seem happy to leave the cars in loading bays but will harass van/truck drivers parked on the road unloading.

I've often had to drive around the block several times looking for a free loading bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

in the afternoons the drivers cant pull up anywhere, as you said anywhere
    a van can get in theres a car parked up, and as for the taxi ranks, stupid
    amout of space the have, it should be a 4 bay rank and thats it.

no wonder business are hot-tailing it to retail parks and the crescent

was my 1st time in the city in about 6 months, granted the street looks
    nice, but if this continues it will be a nice looking ghost town

Ive be saying this forever, the people in the council dont have a clue, there are people living in William street and other streets like Thomas Street and there is nowhere to park when trying to provide a service or deliver and pick up things, every loading bay is constantly full of cars that are not meant to be in them as they are there for commerical vehicles only, and are often there for hrs and nothing is done, the ammount of money wasted on creating these huge footpaths although look great are a waste of money and unless there is space for people to park near the store they wish to purchase a large item then they simply will go out to the large retail centres, a wide footpath is no use unless there is enough footfall to take it, and a recent report from DENMARK street is showing their footfall is down by over 70%.

Most of the bays are so narrow large vehicles cannot even fit into them properly and the road is so narrow u can barely reverse into them without hitting something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

The use of loading bays in this city is a joke! I regularly have to circle blocks waiting for private cars to leave them and the traffic wardens don't seem to give a rat's arse either. I've yet to see them give out tickets for this, its a disgrace :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Folks don't forget, you're legally allowed to park on double yellows for loading if you're not breaking any other parking rules (too close to junction etc). I'm not familiar with the street in question here but just thought I'd mention :)

L.T.P. wrote: »
    The use of loading bays in this city is a joke! I regularly have to circle blocks waiting for private cars to leave them and the traffic wardens don't seem to give a rat's arse either. I've yet to see them give out tickets for this, its a disgrace :mad:

Lad I know, drives for a courier company has had 3 parking tickets for trying to deliver on William st, he was the 1st guy I seen getting moved on and in the following days up to today 4 more, 2 were issued with tickets and the others had to abandon their deliveries. Surely the shops must be going mad, if shoppers can see this they must be going mad.

A
    cormie wrote: »
    Folks don't forget, you're legally allowed to park on double yellows for loading if you're not breaking any other parking rules (too close to junction etc). I'm not familiar with the street in question here but just thought I'd mention :)

Not on William st, as a poster said the road on william st is so narrow. Now even in a taxi rank you would be obstructing traffic with a van, just seems to me the new outlay is purely cosmetic and not any way functional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Strange that you mention this today of all days. I was parked in front of Paddy Powers on William St this morning, a delivery van was parked in the disabled spot behind me and as soon as he pulled out, the spot was taken by another van. Neither had the blue sticker but even if they did I'm sure that would using the sticker while making deliveries would be against the real purpose of the sticker and the space.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Strange that you mention this today of all days. I was parked in front of Paddy Powers on William St this morning, a delivery van was parked in the disabled spot behind me and as soon as he pulled out, the spot was taken by another van. Neither had the blue sticker but even if they did I'm sure that would using the sticker while making deliveries would be against the real purpose of the sticker and the space.

thats partly my point, if there were more loading bays driver wouldnt have to use these and run the chance of getting fined (and rightly so)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

thats partly my point, if there were more loading bays driver wouldnt have to use these and run the chance of getting fined (and rightly so)

except the loading bay just down the street was available but they seemed to want to park on the disabled spot as it's near the temporary pedistrian crossing. Well that's what I thought anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was in town earlier on. Couldnt believe how dead it is - every shop I looked into, staff were just standing around, and no customers. How in the hell do these shops survive?

Back on topic now: When I was on William St, the Gardai pulled in and moved loads of taxis on that were blocking the street while they waited for the queue to move. Good enough, how does Limerick have so many taxis??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Mc Love wrote: »
    Was in town earlier on. Couldnt believe how dead it is - every shop I looked into, staff were just standing around, and no customers. How in the hell do these shops survive?

Back on topic now: When I was on William St, the Gardai pulled in and moved loads of taxis on that were blocking the street while they waited for the queue to move. Good enough, how does Limerick have so many taxis??

Saw one getting a fine outisde O'Connors :D

Came into the city via Parnell st. and there was a queue of taxis going down that lane beside the derelict petrol station site. Limerick is taxi-crazy!

Came into the city via Parnell st. and there was a queue of taxis going down that lane beside the derelict petrol station site. Limerick is taxi-crazy!

All they do is bitch about how quiet it is and then when RAG week or Christmas comes, they'll bitch about that too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Anyone else feel the work on William street was a complete waste?

Yeah because it's still full of riff raff and pound shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

Yeah because it's still full of riff raff and pound shops.

This.

bigpink wrote: »

Not really - it was in dire need of doing up to make it look prettier to the eye, but for the retail experience, its pretty shiote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

bigpink wrote: »

Yes, I said it at the time.
    What's the point in pretty footpaths if the buildings are along them are in sh1t and tacky looking. the only good thing about the wider footpaths is that it's a little easier to dodge the scum waiting for the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Not really - it was in dire need of doing up to make it look prettier to the eye, but for the retail experience, its pretty shiote

It's actually not as bad as people make out. Yeah there are way too many poundshops but there are a lot of quality stores on the street aswell.
    Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Yes, I said it at the time.
    What's the point in pretty footpaths if the buildings are along them are in sh1t and tacky looking. the only good thing about the wider footpaths is that it's a little easier to dodge the scum waiting for the bus.

This is true for a lot of the street but didn't the pedestrianisation of both Thomas St. and Bedford Row prove as a catalyst for upgrading the buildings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I would be more concerned with the fact that the Arcadia froup are looking to streamline their operation, and have made it clear that they have no probolem relocating away from towns and cities where the rent/rates is too high or where footfall is poor.

From a Limerick pov, the Arcadia group owns, amongst other things, the following;

Burton
    Dorothy Perkins
    Evans
    Miss Selfridge
    Topshop
    Wallis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Kess73 wrote: »
    From a Limerick pov, the Arcadia group owns, amongst other things, the following;

Burton
    Dorothy Perkins
    Evans
    Miss Selfridge
    Topshop
    Wallis

We haven't had Miss Selfridge for years since it closed on Sarsfield St.

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    We haven't had Miss Selfridge for years since it closed on Sarsfield St.

I was just listing from memory stores that are or were in Limerick that the Arcadia group own.

If the news about the company cutting back on stores in the UK and in Ireland is big enough news to be reported on by both the BBC news and Sky News, then it has to be a worry for any of their stores in Limerick.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I was just listing from memory stores that are or were in Limerick that the Arcadia group own.

If the news about the company cutting back on stores in the UK and in Ireland is big enough news to be reported on by both the BBC news and Sky News, then it has to be a worry for any of their stores in Limerick.

Well Topshop in the Crescent has been confirmed!

Well Topshop in the Crescent has been confirmed!

Yep gone in the New Year.

Advertisement