Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with UTV (Recon its Eircoms fault)

• 22-11-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

So my ping has been hopping from the usual 60-70 up to over 300 when playing online games for the past week or so. I upgraded my line about 6 months ago to "next" generation broadband, the 24 Mbit package. I am currently getting a 12 Mbit line. It has been fine up until the last week or so. Happens mainly during peak times (Suppose to be no contention line)

I rang UTV, they offered to drop my line to a 10 Mbit to help it. But surely if its been working fine for the last 6 months my line shouldn't have to get slower.

So I reckon Eircon are overloading the exchanges or something like that ?

Ballinasloe area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

First step is check your line stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

1607320429.png

I presume you meant this?

Data Rate Down/Up 12284/670(Kbps) (From my modem)

Noise margin down 21db up 7 db
    Attenuation down --db up 34db

It spikes up to 300 during peak times (6pm - 8pm) and takes a few seconds to come back down. This happens every 2-3 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

nacimroc wrote: »
    1607320429.png

I presume you meant this?

Data Rate Down/Up 12284/670(Kbps) (From my modem)

Noise margin down 21db up 7 db

It spikes up to 300 during peak times (6pm - 8pm) and takes a few seconds to come back down. This happens every 2-3 mins.

I have the feeling you might be on a LLU exchange.

Whereabouts are you?

Everything looks ok. If you experience problems during peak hours this could be due to several things. Most people tend to think is congestion but it isnt always, or at least it should be if you are on an LLU exchange or even an NGB exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I presume there is a number for downstream attenuation? Low is better, and for your speed I'd imagine it'll be somewhere around 30-35dB. For info on stats: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

If the problems only occur during peak times then the issue is almost certainly down to congestion. You're not going to be able to do anything about that if it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Ballinasloe area.

Sorry, just seeing that... so not LLU then...

• Advertisement

There is no number beside the downstream attenuation. I am about 1 km from the exchange. I'm paying for Next generation no contention broadband so don't know why its doing this.

This is ridiculous now! Its almost unuseable tonight. Can't watch youtube clips, play games nothing! No contention my hole!

Any program to log or graph it to prove that it keeps spiking, slowing etc ?

Advertisement