Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with CIT staff/module.

• 22-11-2011 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

Ok any one have a dealing with this issue before ? and what is the best way to sort it, i was told get onto Jim about it and set up a meeting.

i had a run in with a Teacher in Yr1 cos he spent way to much time on his blog then teaching. and i feel hes going out of his way to fail me in more then one subject i have him in.

if so can you pm me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Did you get onto the head of the department? This would be the first step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Is there some way to access a staff directory in CIT to get lecturers email adresses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

About 3 years ago our whole class went up to jim about that particular lecturer and nothing was done about it. He just got a shiny new office. Nothing you do will make a difference tbh he will always be like that and cit wont do anything about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

There is an ombudsman, but thats most likely a waste of time.

But remember that if most lecturers were half as good at what they lectuer in they would be out doing the job getting paid twice as much. You cant win an argument with them as they set the rules, the questions and the answers from their ivory towers.

Best thing you do is learn to bite your lip and play ball their way unfortunatley.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pixie_dust

Totally agree with the above poster. The only thing that seems to be learned in CIT is how to give them exactly what they want.

You could have brilliant ideas, work, projects, exam answers but...if it doesn't fit their idiotic marking criteria- then you'll be going down a bad road. You'll have your good lecturers & your bad ones(which sweet fa can be done about because of the system).

Lecturers should get assessed too. Regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Thanks for all you reply's,

I hear alot of people failed the CIT module and their not happy campers with the person in question, half the first years failed..

welcome to cit lads i tell them. so it will be interesting to see what comes from their big class meeting on the fact that they failed a sh**t module that shouldnt even be their in the first place

Cork24 wrote: »
    Thanks for all you reply's,

I hear alot of people failed the CIT module and their not happy campers with the person in question, half the first years failed..

welcome to cit lads i tell them. so it will be interesting to see what comes from their big class meeting on the fact that they failed a sh**t module that shouldnt even be their in the first place

A lot of people failed CIT...the bull**** "creativity innovation and teamwork" module?? I didn't even think it was possible to fail it...all you have to do is turn up and you'll get an honour.

Well when it comes to one person. They knw one thing and that's failing ppl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

mrmeindl wrote: »
    A lot of people failed CIT...the bull**** "creativity innovation and teamwork" module?? I didn't even think it was possible to fail it...all you have to do is turn up and you'll get an honour.
    what are you harping on about for my first year creativity innovation and teamwork , we had to hand up 3 written projects.

1 handy one was a career plan.
    the other was a detailed report from a site visit we did.
    3rd one was building a model fireproofing it and burning it, along with a case study of a local building and its environmental impact , along with doing a hand drawn map/detailed sketch of it.

More hours went into that than any of my other subjects.

what are you harping on about for my first year creativity innovation and teamwork , we had to hand up 3 written projects.

Thats really not that much, 3 written reports for one module...Try 3 Lab reports per week plus whatever assignments and assesments are due.
    1 handy one was a career plan.

Worth 10%, Easy marks
    the other was a detailed report from a site visit we did.

Worth 30%, easy marks.
    3rd one was building a model fireproofing it and burning it, along with a case study of a local building and its environmental impact , along with doing a hand drawn map/detailed sketch of it.

Worth 60%

If you did any bit of work for the project you wouldn't have any problems scraping 40% together. Our project was multiple small projects as we had 3 different teachers for CIT.
    More hours went into that than any of my other subjects.

I really cannot understand how you needed to spend more time on CIT than proper modules. If you struggled that much in CIT you're going to have an awful time doing bigger projects.

• Advertisement

Thats really not that much, 3 written reports for one module...Try 3 Lab reports per week plus whatever assignments and assesments are due.

Worth 10%, Easy marks

Worth 30%, easy marks.

Worth 60%

If you did any bit of work for the project you wouldn't have any problems scraping 40% together. Our project was multiple small projects as we had 3 different teachers for CIT.

I really cannot understand how you needed to spend more time on CIT than proper modules. If you struggled that much in CIT you're going to have an awful time doing bigger projects.
    Struggled i have an 89% average so dont comment on what you dont have a clue about .

What different people are happy to hand up varies wildly as you said do a bit of work along the way and you will scape the 40% in any subject but cit is one of those subjects where its hard to get say 90%+ as its so lecturer dependant.

my point im making here is peoples experience with the cit module varies wildly depending on what lecturer you have, most weeks i end up with multiple assignments due most of which i would consider far easier marks than my assignements with cit.

And your breakdown of everthing being easy marks is totally invalid as this is one of those subjects that breaks down to how hard the lecturer grades.

Also 3 written projects for a module thats usually a first year module is more than the other subjects.

Struggled i have an 89% average so dont comment on what you dont have a clue about .

What different people are happy to hand up varies wildly as you said do a bit of work along the way and you will scape the 40% in any subject but cit is one of those subjects where its hard to get say 90%+ as its so lecturer dependant.

So your entire complaint is about you getting less than 90%?? Get a life, there's many a student struggling with real modules with crazy exams and useless lecturers.
    my point im making here is peoples experience with the cit module varies wildly depending on what lecturer you have,

I agree with that completely, however there's no point in comparing a lecturers conduct in a waste of time module like CIT to a real module.
    most weeks i end up with multiple assignments due most of which i would consider far easier marks than my assignements with cit.

Again I'm struggling to comprehend how this is true, you must be doing babysitting or some other worthless "degree" for CIT to be more difficult than a real module.
    And your breakdown of everthing being easy marks is totally invalid as this is one of those subjects that breaks down to how hard the lecturer grades.

There is no danger of failing the module if you do any work, a grade which makes no difference to whether you get a first or whatever.
    Also 3 written projects for a module thats usually a first year module is more than the other subjects.

No its not, many modules involve weekly lab reports..they require much more work than CIT bullsheet.

There is no danger of failing the module if you do any work, a grade which makes no difference to whether you get a first or whatever

Well first years this year failed and they had some well written and well worked on power points... so even if you do a bit of work and a tiny bit of time in something doesnt mean cos its 100% you will get the marks you need..

So your entire complaint is about you getting less than 90%?? Get a life, there's many a student struggling with real modules with crazy exams and useless lecturers.

I agree with that completely, however there's no point in comparing a lecturers conduct in a waste of time module like CIT to a real module.

Again I'm struggling to comprehend how this is true, you must be doing babysitting or some other worthless "degree" for CIT to be more difficult than a real module.

There is no danger of failing the module if you do any work, a grade which makes no difference to whether you get a first or whatever.

No its not, many modules involve weekly lab reports..they require much more work than CIT bullsheet.

Look just give it a rest , you have from from saying im a no hoper cause i needed to put so many hours into cit which was BS along to saying i must be in a BS course cause of my experience.
    You have a major chip on your shoulder pal chill out and try not to put everyone else down cause their opinion differs with your own, its the internet and its a big bloody college every class in every department has different workloads etc and different goals.

And just so you know its an engineering degree something similar to yourself id imagine , which goes further to prove the point that for these bull****y subjects like CIT it can all hinge on how the lecturer deals with the subject, our lecturer ensured that a huge amount of work was needed to achieve a good mark, a buddy of mine in another class had to hand up 3 short assignments which took them about 2 hours each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Ashlinggnilsia

Oh dear, i get the feeling i know what lecturer you are talking about and if i remember correctly he didn't go down to well with our class. One of our continuous assessment the whole class demanded a recheck, which was done and everyone went up as much as 20% on the first score. Had to create a website for this guy and tbh the website was unreal but got very low marks for it.

All i can say is at the end of they day you know when you have done a better job than what you have been given so simply go to your course co-ordinator and ask for a recheck or show him your assignment and say do you really think this is worth x amount of marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

We had a lecturer like that, he was teaching the CIT module for us between September and December last year for us. He was an asshole, hadn't a clue what the module was about and treated us like 5 year olds. I just walked out of his class and didn't go back. I got 81% in the module. F*ck him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 nedy1990

Cork24 wrote: »
    Ok any one have a dealing with this issue before ? and what is the best way to sort it, i was told get onto Jim about it and set up a meeting.

i had a run in with a Teacher in Yr1 cos he spent way to much time on his blog then teaching. and i feel hes going out of his way to fail me in more then one subject i have him in.

if so can you pm me

*snip*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'm sorry but I have to close this thread now as names are starting to be mentioned and is against the charter.

Issues with lecturers should be dealt with in the college and not here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement