Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poroton clay blocks-cost of laying in ROI?

Options
  • 22-11-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm new to this and scared already!!
    We're looking at using a clay block for our new build, with external insulation and an insulating render on top. Currently, the tenders we have received back are charging a huge amount for using these blocks, The research I have done is only relative to NI which we may have to go to, however I'm curious to see if anyone has heard of them, used them and can point me in the direction of someone who can price them realistically?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smarties11

I should have included, it is the cost of laying the blocks that I am particularly interested in. Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

smarties11 wrote: »
    I'm new to this and scared already!!
    We're looking at using a clay block for our new build, with external insulation and an insulating render on top. Currently, the tenders we have received back are charging a huge amount for using these blocks, The research I have done is only relative to NI which we may have to go to, however I'm curious to see if anyone has heard of them, used them and can point me in the direction of someone who can price them realistically?

I researched them at length before selecting my build method. Any job I saw done with them was appalling. I'd suggest you run a mile.

They are too expensive, too brittle (hanging doors,fitting windows etc) and offer little in reality towards your overall insulation. I'd recommend regular concrete blocks and simply include slightly more external insulation to compensate. I built myself with regular concrete blocks and EWI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Why do you want to use these bricks?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

OP

try here: http://www.face8.ie/Contact_Us.html, they are a supplier and would know of labourers in your location.

and you could be looking at 85/90 cent per block.

the merit of said block is your decision. personally, wouldnt be one I'd go with but everyone has their own opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smarties11

Tks for comments everyone.

headmaster: we decided to use them for a variety of reasons, in addition my brother built his house using them and no complaints so far, "doing exactly as it says on the tin", unfortunately the guy he sourced them from is no longer in the country

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 atredmond

smarties11 did you have any luck getting the bricks, I would like to get some for a build project

Advertisement