Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice to getting toddler to sleep in his own bed

• 22-11-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭

We got our daughter into her bedtime routine very easily no struggle
    But her brother (now 2) Wont settle in his own bed. Sometimes he will stay in there for a few hours (only recently) but most times after an hour he is screaming and wants to sleep with us

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Do you let him sleep in with you? The more you let him the more he will see it as normal to sleep in with mammy and daddy.

I would suggest staying in the room with him until he falls asleep. Or f you have the patience, use Super Nannys technique of keep putting him back to bed until he gets the message that your bed is not an option.

Also, does he have a favourite cartoon? Maybe you could get a duvet cover woth his favourite character on to try and make sleeping in his own bed more of a novelty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Do you let him sleep in with you? The more you let him the more he will see it as normal to sleep in with mammy and daddy.

I would suggest staying in the room with him until he falls asleep. Or f you have the patience, use Super Nannys technique of keep putting him back to bed until he gets the message that your bed is not an option.

Also, does he have a favourite cartoon? Maybe you could get a duvet cover woth his favourite character on to try and make sleeping in his own bed more of a novelty?
    Thanks crazy cat lady all tried with no successes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

We have a 3 yr old and went through similar as yourself. We have an 11 year old who was a dream (way back then). Our 3 year old kept getting out of bed turning on the lights and generally not settling. There was not one single thing that worked - but we solved it with a cobmination of things. We found that since he is such an active child that he wasn't getting out enough during the day and buring off enough energy (just lack of fresh air) We invested in wet gear for him so, no matter what the weather, he gets out to the park every day. We also cut down on the length of time he was sleeping for his nap during the day (he now no longer naps) Another thing we did was make sure that he was full of food going to bed. Lastly I tell him a story every night which he loves, if he gets out of bed there is no story the next night.
    It seems to be the combination of things that have worked.
    Good luck and remember...keep cool - and soon it'll be a thing of the past.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

My now three year old spent a lot of time in our bed when he was a baby and toddler. We got into a habit that if he woke in the middle of the night we just brought him into our bed and everone got a nights sleep. When he was about 20 months it started to become a pain because he was kicking us in the middle of the night and waking early in the morning. I started waiting til he fell asleep then moving him abck to his own bed so that he was waking there in the morning.

He gradually started sleeping through and staying in his own bed. But there were still a good few times after I had his little sister when he was 2 and 3 months that we woke up wtih four in a bed! At 3 and a half he generally stays in his own bed now, the odd night I have to get in with him in his own bed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I feel your pain, we've had awful trouble with our toddler. We tried everything, eventually the only thing that worked was putting him into his grobag in his bed and he slept the whole night through. The odd time he might shuffle out, but nothing like before. Eventually he said himself he wanted to use the duvet so he was sleeping great the whole night through without the grobag.

However, I had a baby 5 weeks ago and since he arrived the toddler won't sleep in his bed. I think it's down to us 3 being in one room and the toddler being in his room by himself, so he's back in his cot :rolleyes: We'll wait till the baby is ready to go into his own room and try again (plus we'll need the cot back by then! :D )

• Advertisement
Advertisement