Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post issue

Options
  • 22-11-2011 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

just received a packet this morning.
    however it was clearly too big for the mail slot and had been literally wedged in.

I took a good few minutes trying to edge it out bit by bit, and when I got it out there was significant damage to the goods (xbox games).
    It had torn through the envelope and the bubble wrap and ripped the case of both games.

They weren't of huge value, but could have just as easily been, and will be very hard to ever sell on. Also this isnt the first time this has happened, but before the damage was very minimal.

I'm in two minds about whether to confront the postie himself, or take my chances with An Post's customer services.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭leche solara

just received a packet this morning.
    however it was clearly too big for the mail slot and had been literally wedged in.

I took a good few minutes trying to edge it out bit by bit, and when I got it out there was significant damage to the goods (xbox games).
    It had torn through the envelope and the bubble wrap and ripped the case of both games.

They weren't of huge value, but could have just as easily been, and will be very hard to ever sell on. Also this isnt the first time this has happened, but before the damage was very minimal.

I'm in two minds about whether to confront the postie himself, or take my chances with An Post's customer services.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest going the customer services route

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would contact the retailer - the goods were damaged on arrival and it is the sender who has the contract with the courier (or carrier).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

The last complaint about an post parcel delivery on here got an apology in the papers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

dudara wrote: »
    I would contact the retailer - the goods were damaged on arrival and it is the sender who has the contract with the courier (or carrier).

they were actually bought via Adverts.ie, from one of your fellow mods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

That makes no difference.

It is the seller who is responsible for the item(s) until they get to you and they are liable for any and all damage to the items while in transit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

That makes no difference.

It is the seller who is responsible for the item(s) until they get to you and they are liable for any and all damage to the items while in transit.

It makes a hell of a difference, as the item being bought on adverts.ie is likely a private sale, meaning the seller has zero (legal) liability if the item is damaged in transit At worst the groutch can give the seller bad feedback on adverts.ie, although why would he do that since the seller did nothing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Check and see what postage was paid.

If it was €1.35, (250g) €1.90 (500g) or €3 (1kg), then it was sent by large envelope rate and this is meant to fit into a letter slot and therefore I'd blame the sender.

If it was €2.20 / €2.70 or €3.85 then it was sent by small packet post and the postman should ahve knocked and handed it to you. (small packet rate) - in this case post would be responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

maxer68 wrote: »
    Check and see what postage was paid.

If it was €1.35, (250g) €1.90 (500g) or €3 (1kg), then it was sent by large envelope rate and this is meant to fit into a letter slot and therefore I'd blame the sender.

If it was €2.20 / €2.70 or €3.85 then it was sent by small packet post and the postman should ahve knocked and handed it to you. (small packet rate) - in this case post would be responsible.

That's interesting,I'd never thought of that. My postman has a habit of trying to wedge things in to a very narrow post slot(apartment block). I often wondered why he did this?Maybe incorrect postage paid was the reason?
    However I have my doubts,surely if an item does not fit without damaging it then they should just bring it back to the depot and the customer can collect it then;paying the extra postage if necessary?

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭Lemmewinks

If you caught him on video doing this, don't post it; more hassle than its worth! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Thanks for the responses guys. Btw, I don't blame the seller at all, and he'll be getting positive feedback as he did send the items.

That's interesting what Maxer is saying about whether it's classified as a large envelope or small packet.
    But still the depot is only 15 minute walk away, so I have no problem collecting, seems like laziness on his behalf not wanting to bring it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hmm, this does make it a private sale, so I don't think my previous advice is best. Also, it just would be bad karma :)

I think a trip to the PO is your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Also this isnt the first time this has happened,
    I would ask future sellers to mark your packets fragile or "contains glass". Might not be an option with big boys like play though.

I have a tiny postbox, but I get every package posted to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

The item should not have been forced into the letter box causing damage. If it does not fit The postperson should knock and put in a docket if there is no answer.

There is quite often a lot of packeging around items and they can be forced through without doing any damage. I have done thios on a few occasions and thankfully no damage was done.

There is a problem with the small letterbox cassettes in apartment blocks. In one block where I deliver the managment company have replaced the cassettes with proper postbox's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

LeoB wrote: »
    The item should not have been forced into the letter box causing damage. If it does not fit The postperson should knock and put in a docket if there is no answer.

There is quite often a lot of packeging around items and they can be forced through without doing any damage. I have done thios on a few occasions and thankfully no damage was done.

There is a problem with the small letterbox cassettes in apartment blocks. In one block where I deliver the managment company have replaced the cassettes with proper postbox's
    Indeed it sounds like the bubble wrap was at fault here, if the two games had been put into a strong card envelope with taped edges they will fit through the slot and probably cost less to post.

If amazon are saending out dvd's they will use a large strong envelope for two games etc or if there is another small flat item they may be put in a cardboard pagkage that folds around the items and seals itself, this will fit through the slot unless there are tree dvd/games cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Lemmewinks wrote: »
    If you caught him on video doing this, don't post it; more hassle than its worth! :o

Especially if it's a fake video ,Lemmewinks ;);););) Ha ,Ha!!!!
    Only joking:)

Advertisement