Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New hard drive and XP from Vista?

Options
  • 22-11-2011 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Getting ew hard drive and OS for my wifes lap top. The hard drive is gone in it and it has Vista. I want to get OEM XP Home Edition serive pack 2/3 with hard drive. I know 7 will work but I want XP on it. Can I use XP on new hard drive even though was originally Vista?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Getting ew hard drive and OS for my wifes lap top. The hard drive is gone in it and it has Vista. I want to get OEM XP Home Edition serive pack 2/3 with hard drive. I know 7 will work but I want XP on it. Can I use XP on new hard drive even though was originally Vista?

Maybe, depends if you can get drivers for it (Some Vista machines have hardware with no XP drivers ever made). As XP isn't sold anymore you may find it quite hard to source, don't trust Ebay licenses with a barge pole, most are just MSDN licenses being resold, which is against Microsofts terms and can be blacklisted at any time Microsoft discover there being sold

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

yoyo wrote: »
    Maybe, depends if you can get drivers for it (Some Vista machines have hardware with no XP drivers ever made). As XP isn't sold anymore you may find it quite hard to source, don't trust Ebay licenses with a barge pole, most are just MSDN licenses being resold, which is against Microsofts terms and can be blacklisted at any time Microsoft discover there being sold

Nick

Found it in the UK place called pcupgrade.co.uk. They said it would be ok to install 7 with the new drive. I hope XP can be done too cause 7 isnt as bad as vista as in slow and uses alot of ram. I think XP is better than vista and 7. From a memory point of view I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭asif2011

I'd recommend you give it to someone who reinstalls laptops reguarly. Getting XP to work on a Vista laptop can be a headache as yoko has suggested. Not all laptops provide XP drivers, you could check the manufacturer website (or give us the make and model of the laptop and we could check for you). Either way, it'll be quicker to give it to someone else. I would say that Windows 7 is more secure but won't run as fast as XP on an older laptop - Windows 7 does run faster than Vista though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Maybe you need to upgrade the memory?

7 would be the best choice, but if you really want to push for XP, it can usually be done.
    You'll need nlite to slipstream in SATA drivers before you even install it.
    http://www.nliteos.com/
    You may end up doing a lot of digging around for drivers if they're not readily available on the manufacturer's website.

You could also save money if you fully update vista, which has improved once bugs are patched. Then follow some of the guides online to strip it of all the useless items weighing it down. You should do a clean install really rather than a restore disc do start from a clean base.

The Laptop is a Toshiba satellite p100-160. Because it had Vista I imagine it would already decent memory and no need to upgrade that too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭asif2011

There are Windows XP drivers for it, I don't see any SATA drivers so maybe it's only using IDE? And if so then maybe putting XP on to it wouldn't be too bad after all. You are probably running 1GB of RAM if the specs are to be believed so running XP should definetly feel faster alright...

EDIT: This website seems to suggest it uses a SATA hard drive which might make things more complicated... but the official site doesn't list any SATA drivers... so short of unscrewing the hard drive from the laptop and manually checking the connection you might just have to cross your fingers when trying to install XP...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

1GB isn't really enough for Vista, no wonder it was so slow.
    You could upgrade to 2GB from around €30 and 4GB from about €45 (buy the modules in pairs).
    http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr2sodimm.html
    7 is a better at memory management, but even with that, you could do with an upgrade.

I think this driver would do for SATA if you were to go with XP.
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2300&DwnldID=20624&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss

The current hard drive is 160gb Serial ATA-150 - 5400.0 rpm. It has a Intel Core 2 Duo T5200 / 1.6 GHz processor. Storage controller type Serial ATA/IDE, Serial ATA Interface Serial ATA-150 .The new drive im planning on is a Toshiba Satellite 250Gb SATA Laptop HDD and new OS I plan to go with is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition OEM inc Service Pack 2/3 Software. You guys think if I can get drivers sorted (if I need them) It will work out ok?

Advertisement